Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Countdown to October (Cap Details + Links in First Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Since I have posted my belief Kessel will be traded after this year due to his salary at 5.1 million for three years is a attractive number. Pens can use that cap space assuming they get picks/ prospects back. That is the way to go as Rust, Hornqvist and Sprong can be top 9 RW's. Next year GMJR has to consider he has to rebuild the roster for the final years of the Crosby/Malkin era.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Since I have posted my belief Kessel will be traded after this year due to his salary at 5.1 million for three years is a attractive number. Pens can use that cap space assuming they get picks/ prospects back. That is the way to go as Rust, Hornqvist and Sprong can be top 9 RW's. Next year GMJR has to consider he has to rebuild the roster for the final years of the Crosby/Malkin era.

Sprong and Rust fill the 2nd and 3rd line roles until Hornqvist gets old and swap up. It’s pretty simple. Hopefully, Guentzel - Crosby - Sprong clicks and Hagelin and Hornqvist are with Brassard on the third line.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Karlsson helps this team more than a Max Pacioretty, or Skinner or any forward for that matter. The Pens depth on D is still lacking, and when Karlsson is on the ice he is essentially a 4th forward since he can carry the play all on his own from the defensive zone into the offensive zone. His offense will outweigh any defensive misgivings. The Shutdown pair becomes Dumoulin/Letang, and Letang can now stop forcing things and play a safer game being the #1B D-man.

I just don't want them to have to work harder to get where they want to go, I want the other team to have to work harder to try and keep up, wave after wave, 2016 style.

[Insert team]: "What the heck do we do, they just keep coming...!"

Yeah..... I like that.

Make it happen, JR.

Reactions: Turin and Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
There's no way in hell Carolina is taking Hagelin plus a pick for Skinner.

Correct, especially since they already reportedly rejected an offer that included Brassard plus something else that was deemed an overpayment by both Jesse and Mike....I can’t imagine CAR getting a better offer from the Pens, so unless they change their mind, I wouldn’t expect Skinner in a Pens jersey this year....

Reactions: Pancakes

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
We could afford Skinner easily. Let Brassard and Hags walk and you have 7 mil next year. Let Schultz walk and you have another 5.5 the year after.

Brassard would need replaced by a 3C and 3m is quite cheap for a 3C not on an ELC. And we need to pay Guentzel.

Schultz needs to be replaced by a top 4 capable RH D (price... probably quite large) and we also need to replace Murray.

I'm not saying it can't be done but I think you're looking at the wrong places and therefore maybe underestimating what it would cost. My guess is it would cost you Rust for picks while being replaced by a bottom of the barrel cost 4RW (maybe 4C falls to the same cost too).

Correct, especially since they already reportedly rejected an offer that included Brassard plus something else that was deemed an overpayment by both Jesse and Mike....I can’t imagine CAR getting a better offer from the Pens, so unless they change their mind, I wouldn’t expect Skinner in a Pens jersey this year....

True dat. BUT -

Given that NMC and his expiring contract status, at some point they have to change their mind unless the market unexpectedly meets them. And I think it would be unexpected at this point.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Stone colds intro. Glass breaking.

Now let's drink some damn beer!

tumblr_oc5zax1oo71rofocqo1_400.gif

Reactions: TNT87

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Brassard would need replaced by a 3C and 3m is quite cheap for a 3C not on an ELC. And we need to pay Guentzel.

Schultz needs to be replaced by a top 4 capable RH D (price... probably quite large) and we also need to replace Murray.

I'm not saying it can't be done but I think you're looking at the wrong places and therefore maybe underestimating what it would cost. My guess is it would cost you Rust for picks while being replaced by a bottom of the barrel cost 4RW (maybe 4C falls to the same cost too).

True dat. BUT -

Given that NMC and his expiring contract status, at some point they have to change their mind unless the market unexpectedly meets them. And I think it would be unexpected at this point.

I assume a roster player is going over if Skinner comes here.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Sprong and Rust fill the 2nd and 3rd line roles until Hornqvist gets old and swap up. It’s pretty simple. Hopefully, Guentzel - Crosby - Sprong clicks and Hagelin and Hornqvist are with Brassard on the third line.

That's placing a lot of faith in two guys who haven't proven to be top six scorers yet at the NHL level.

I like both guys, but I'm not ready to believe that Sprong and Rust can combine for enough offense on that right side to offset letting Kessel go.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
The problem with trading Kessel is the power play runs through him. 100% through him.

I don't want Crosby running the PP. I like him down low and behind the net/along the boards winning puck battles and causing matchup issues. I like Malkin open for the one timer and being playmaker option 2. I like Horny causing havoc in front of the net. I want Letang no where near the PP and prefer Schultz as the PP defenseman but he's not the QB, Kessel is...

Not saying our PP would suck without Kessel but having him creates a lot of problems for the other team especially if we're all healthy. When Hornqvist went down we were kinda f***ed a bit there.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
The problem with trading Kessel is the power play runs through him. 100% through him.

I don't want Crosby running the PP. I like him down low and behind the net/along the boards winning puck battles and causing matchup issues. I like Malkin open for the one timer and being playmaker option 2. I like Horny causing havoc in front of the net. I want Letang no where near the PP and prefer Schultz as the PP defenseman but he's not the QB, Kessel is...

Not saying our PP would suck without Kessel but having him creates a lot of problems for the other team especially if we're all healthy. When Hornqvist went down we were kinda ****ed a bit there.

Kessel biggest fault this post season was his absolute pathetic performance on the powerplay. I also do not agree that our powerplay runs through Kessel at all.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
There's no way in hell Carolina is taking Hagelin plus a pick for Skinner.

Not only that, but if you send out Hagelin in a deal for a wing like Skinner ... you've got some new problems. Not saying I wouldn't do it (not really a huge fan of Skinner), but there is no one to take over his role.

Reactions: Pancakes

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
That's placing a lot of faith in two guys who haven't proven to be top six scorers yet at the NHL level.

I like both guys, but I'm not ready to believe that Sprong and Rust can combine for enough offense on that right side to offset letting Kessel go.

Well, like I said we bring in a top four D or LW and I think a combination of Brassard, Rust, and that player can.

If we wait to move Kessel than you know what we have Sprong and adjust accordingly.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

True dat. BUT -

I think it’s unlikely CAR trades Faulk or Skinner at this point this summer, and Skinner more unlikely than Faulk, because either
1) they are asking way too much in return and quite obviously haven’t bitten at any offers pre or post draft, or 2) they don’t want to trade in the division and the known serious offers have come from the Pens and the Isles (for Faulk)....could be both...either way I don’t see the Pens landing him unless CAR changes their expectations....they already know about his trade list teams, and maybe somebody else there reaches out with an offer that they like but it really seems unlikely at this point with FA mostly over and teams know what their roster looks like...maybe Skinner’s contract demands are too high...I could see CAR possibly revisiting these teams around the TDL to see if someone gets desperate for scoring help, but they’ll likely only get draft picks back....more likely he just stays there until he’s a FA....

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Kessel biggest fault this post season was his absolute pathetic performance on the powerplay. I also do not agree that our powerplay runs through Kessel at all.

I don't care what Sully said, Kessel looked injured AF to me. He didn't look the same.

Who does it run through then? Who has the puck most of the time?

Reactions: EightyOne

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Well, like I said we bring in a top four D or LW and I think a combination of Brassard, Rust, and that player can.

If we wait to move Kessel than you know what we have Sprong and adjust accordingly.

Eh, it would have to be a top pairing D, not just a top four D, for me to think about moving Kessel. And the winger would have to be of the Pacioretty/Skinner level.

Our wingers minus Kessel and last season's goals/point totals:
Guentzel - 22/48
Hornqvist - 29/49
Rust - 13/38
Hagelin - 10/31
Sprong - 2/3
Simon - 4/12
Cullen - 11/22
ZAR - 4/6

Apart from Jake/Horny, that a whole lot of question marks and bottom six production to count on to pick up the slack for Kessel's departure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille