Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Countdown to October (Cap Details + Links in First Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
It is funny how people seem to not look at the past and realize it won’t work. Gonch and Letang weren’t that far off from Karlsson.

It’s easy to do as well. Cap friendly has an armchair GM feature. Go guess what salaries will be and see the holes. It’s what I wrestle with in regard to the getting Karlsson. He’s an amazing talent my gut says you get if you can get but logically he’s hard on the cap (or you’re apparently throwing players away for cap space ASAP) and players need new deals soon. Crosby and Malkin may not have the years in them to ride out that slump of quality players again.

Like with this.

UFA for 2019-20: Karlsson, Schmidt, Brassard, Sheahan, Cullen, Hagelin, Desmith
RFA for 2019:20: Guentzel, ZAR, Tuch
UFA for 2020-21: Schultz
RFA for 2020-21: Murray, Sprong, Simon

Reactions: Badfish87

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It’s easy to do as well. Cap friendly has an armchair GM feature. Go guess what salaries will be and see the holes. It’s what I wrestle with in regard to the getting Karlsson. He’s an amazing talent my gut says you get if you can get but logically he’s hard on the cap (or you’re apparently throwing players away for cap space ASAP) and players need new deals soon. Crosby and Malkin may not have the years in them to ride out that slump of quality players again.

Like with this.

That's a pretty sweet EA Sports NHL Roster, did you turn off the Cap? I do that too sometimes, to pretend to be Glen Sather and just throw out ridiculous contracts for the hell of it.

In my season, I pay Bryan Rust 10m/yr and Jarry gets 5m/yr.

Reactions: RizzleMcRib

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

Like with this.

I already did this in my half-assed inane posts earlier. It’s not that hard to fit.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Guentzel, Horny and Rust are crap? Sprong? An elite D behind them are crap? Why are they playing with crap?

Sprong is unproven and in your proposal Schmidt is a guy who could walk in free agency. Tuch? New contract for 2019-20.

Crosby, Malkin, Karlsson, Hornqvist, Rust, Guentzel, Murray, Dumoulin, Schultz. Throw in Johnson and it’s 10 players who will take up ~55M of the cap plus Guenztel’s extension. Guentzel around 6 and Schmidt around 5? 66M for 12 players. What does Tuch get? You don’t have a 3C or 4C, it needs a defenseman or two, some bottom 6 wingers.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
That's a pretty sweet EA Sports NHL Roster, did you turn off the Cap? I do that too sometimes, to pretend to be Glen Sather and just throw out ridiculous contracts for the hell of it.

In my season, I pay Bryan Rust 10m/yr and Jarry gets 5m/yr.

Nah, most of the UFAs are inevitably gone. Guentzel, Karlsson and Murray probably end up eating 22-25M of the cap in a few years. It’s more

Guentzel(6+)-Crosby-Hornqvist
Rust-Malkin-Sprong (busted or more expensive in 2 years)
Simon (same as Sprong)-X-Tuch (3M?)
ZAR (same as Sprong)-X-X

Dumoulin-Karlsson
Schmidt (~5?)/X-X
Johnson-X

Murray (6+)
X

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
If Guentzel and Murray both end up making that much the Pens have had a lot of success over the next two years, soooo

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
We could sign longterm or take Skinner as a rental if he stays around the $6 mil mark...if CAR would accept Hags and a draft pick for example, and we send ZAR down to WBS, we’ve covered all but $1 mil of Skinner’s salary...we have enough of a buffer to do that...after that, we’d be losing Brass but we’d likely have to trade another player who makes $3mil + to keep him...the logical person is Kessel and we could get a couple young players back who are not as good but good enough to try to make up the difference...I don’t think that’s a bad strategy...it only works though if either Kessel is willing to go to CAR, or CAR would take Hags...
of course it may not be a good idea to trade Hags and after Phil for Skinner, but it’s financially feasible to sign him if we want...

Skinner is going to cost more than Hags and a draft pick.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Adding Karlsson makes the Pens a worse team.With the assets you have to give up and the people you have to trade because of cap..you'll have the 2010-2015 pens all over again.

Crosby,Malkin,Karlsson and a bunch of scrubs.

Reactions: RizzleMcRib

CertifiedLurker

Aug 13, 2016
"October 4th....October 4th...October 4th..."

"****, it is still the ****ing off-season, **** this ****!"
Some of the trade ideas I've read here today are just flat out cringe inducing. I've never thought to myself, man what a solid team, how utterly boring would it be to leave the team mostly as is considering its a very good team already, the core of which has proven that they fit together on account of them WINNING 2 OF THE LAST 3 CUPS, nah better blow it the f*** up because they don't "fit".

Reactions: EightyOne

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
People act like the cap doesn't rise every year.....

Karlsson at 11M per with Sid and Geno adds up to a whopping 29.2M. That's less than 10 M per for 3 generational players and none would be signed to deals that went until they were 40+.

If you can't fill out a solid team behind those 3 with another 50-55 million to spend, I don't know what the hell to tell you.

Reactions: Turin

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Adding Karlsson makes the Pens a worse team.With the assets you have to give up and the people you have to trade because of cap..you'll have the 2010-2015 pens all over again.

Crosby,Malkin,Karlsson and a bunch of scrubs.

It's a lot of subtraction by addition with the Karlsson trade. I am curious what Tampa actually gives up and it'll give people an idea of what it would have taken from our end, to land him.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Some of the trade ideas I've read here today are just flat out cringe inducing. I've never thought to myself, man what a solid team, how utterly boring would it be to leave the team mostly as is considering its a very good team already, the core of which has proven that they fit together on account of them WINNING 2 OF THE LAST 3 CUPS, nah better blow it the **** up because they don't "fit".

You’re not blowing it up by replacing Letang with Karlsson

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Solz just might be one of the worst posters ever with the crap he suggests

By my count I’ve made one actual proposal ever and prefaced it as being a total fantasy. Care to find more? I haven’t seen you do anything but bitch and moan about message board posts though.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
By my count I’ve made one actual proposal ever and prefaced it as being a total fantasy. Care to find more? I haven’t seen you do anything but ***** and moan about message board posts though.

He does, however, have a Twin Peaks avatar. That has to count for something.

Reactions: IamTheArm

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
I'll be honest.

I'll be just as nervous as I am excited if there's an announcement that we landed a big fish. These players haven't been traded yet for a multitude of reasons. One of which has to be their price tag.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
That would make Letang the punter.

Hornqvist is the full back

image.jpg

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I'll be honest.

I'll be just as nervous as I am excited if there's an announcement that we landed a big fish. These players haven't been traded yet for a multitude of reasons. One of which has to be their price tag.

Thing is, it's quite clear OTT wants a young, top tier, cost controlled D-Man(can be a prospect) as a starting point(Theodore, Heiskanen, Sergachev). Like i keep saying JR will finish dead last to 2nd dead last in the EK sweepstakes.

I don't think anyone here is arguing they wouldn't trade Letang for EK in one heartbeart. It's tell me the package you'd give up...i'll tell you OTT passes...and just throwing a huge package up may make OTT think but would never happen since JR is trying to win Cups at this very moment.

Reactions: EightyOne

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Im amazed someone hasn’t bitten on taking ryan and Karlsson with zero retention and offering the sens nothing but the money savings and a b prospect then dealing ryan with a couple firststo a team with cap space... id be willing to bet the sens would go for that ....lol

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Thing is, it's quite clear OTT wants a young, top tier, cost controlled D-Man(can be a prospect) as a starting point(Theodore, Heiskanen, Sergachev). Like i keep saying JR will finish dead last to 2nd dead last in the EK sweepstakes.

I don't think anyone here is arguing they wouldn't trade Letang for EK in one heartbeart. It's tell me the package you'd give up...i'll tell you OTT passes...and just throwing a huge package up may make OTT think but would never happen since JR is trying to win Cups at this very moment.

Depends where Karlsson wants to go. If he says he is not signing an extension, teams are not going to pony up.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Depends where Karlsson wants to go. If he says he is not signing an extension, teams are not going to pony up.

Exactly...he has all the authority to control OTT’s return....that’s why TB is the lead horse because he wants to play with Hedman....now if he has an interest in playing with Sid too, then the Pens could still be in this...they just need to find a team that EK doesn’t want to sign with and who has good young D prospects, and try to make a 3-way trade whereby that team sends OTT the players they want for players off the Pens roster...likely won’t work out but worth it for JR to explore this....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad