Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Countdown to October (Cap Details + Links in First Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011

From CapFriendly
AHL thread is here. Links to 2018 draft pick threads and QO information are in the first post.
Jack Johnson signing thread is here.
Cullen signing thread is here.
Additional July 1st signing info via pens.com
Rust re-signing thread is here.
Sheahan re-signing thread is here.
Thread for Sprong, Simon and Czuczman re-signing is here.
Brassard trade rumor thread is here.
Sheary + Hunwick trade thread is here.

Last edited:

The Greatest 101

Dec 10, 2013
Manchuria
Is this how our lineups look like right now?
Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
X- Malkin-Horny/Kessel
Hag-Brass-Horny/Kessel
Cullen-Sheahan-ZAR/Simon/Hayes

Did I forget anyone?

Geno's LW remains a question. No, Hag with his finishing ability isn't a top six player.

The defense looks putrid, so I don't want to post it.

Has JR gotten a half decent backup goalie?

Reactions: farscape1

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
X- Malkin-Horny/Kessel
Hag-Brass-Horny/Kessel

Did I forget anyone?

Geno's LW remains a question. No, Hag with his finishing ability isn't a top six player.

You ask if there's a decent backup signed and if you missed anyone... how did you completely miss the big picture in the OP?

You forgot Sprong and that the backup goalie is currently DeSmith

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Hayes will most likely be in WBS, and we still need to sign Oleksiak. Expect about 2m in space when the season starts, which is a better cushion than weve had in some time. Its enough to make a significant deadline add if needed.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
X- Malkin-Horny/Kessel
Hag-Brass-Horny/Kessel

Did I forget anyone?

Not even close to what it will look like in my opinion Sullivan keeps the top 2 lines the same.

Guentzel-Crosby-Hornqvist
Hagelin-Malkin-Kessel
Rust-Brassard-Sprong
Cullen-Sheahan-Zar/Simon/Hayes

Dumoulin-Letang
Maatta-Schultz
Johnson-Oleksiak
Ruhwedel

Murray
Desmith/Jarry

That is what I think the lines will look like if they don't make any trades. Sullivan will move players around but that is my best guess for beginning of season game 1.
Plus what is putrid about that D? The top 4 is very solid and I think that Johnson will rebound and play top 4 ability on a 3rd pairing and I don't see any defender that is playing out of a pairing he can't handle. Honestly this is one of the best teams we started a season with during the Crosby and Malkin Era. Last year we started with Rowney as our 3rd line center and McKegg as the 4th line center. This year we have 3 centers better than those 2 on our bottom two lines with Cullen as the 5th center spare playing wing. I also can't wait until the season starts so Johnson will show all these doubters how wrong they are. I have 100% confidence he will excel in his role on this team.

Plus Hagelin does what he is supposed to on that line which is the dirty work using speed to forecheck and be the lines defensive forward with speed. Rust will play the same role on the 3rd pairing but with a better scoring touch. When you have Malkin and Kessel on a line you don't need a player with finishing ability on that line. Hagelin provides exactly whats needed. Sprong also needs to play a top 9 spot. The team needs to play him and see what he can do over a 40 game first half. He needs to not be wasted value by sitting on bench or playing 4th line which is a spot he won't do well. play him or trade him now and don't ruin his value.

Sprong had an amazing year in his last year of junior and as a rookie AHL player he was 2nd best goal scorer in the league and without the call up would of had the most goals. I have no doubt he can give at minimum what Sheary did last year and with the potential to be even better. Not having him in your lineup makes no sense.

Reactions: Riptide

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
X- Malkin-Horny/Kessel
Hag-Brass-Horny/Kessel

Did I forget anyone?

The fact you put Rust with Crosby already makes me dislike your lineup.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Not really penciling in a lineup until at least one inevitable trade happens. Pretty sure I’m going to be happy with whatever happens though. Getting Cullen back was a great surprise honestly, and as of now Phil is still a Penguin. Oh and Jack Johnson and Jim Rutherford triggered the Blue Jackets so I’m even coming around to that one.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
I'm supremely interested in what JR has in store trade-wise.

I would not be surprised if he makes no moves and goes into the season with this lineup. I see no weakness so unless something is a sure win trade I think he stands pat. I never count JR out of finding a stud for a steal. For example I heard Skinner gave a very small list of teams he would go to. How many of those few teams want him and are willing to deal for him? Not counting out the chance that we might be the only serious bidder and JR is calling Canes bluff. The asking price was not high in the first place from what I heard it was a 1st and a prospect. That does not seem that steep and if no real competition for his services from teams that he is willing to go to then maybe we get him for pennies. Would need to lose a contract to fit him so would have to trade Hagelin either in that deal or seperate deal to make it fit but how much fire power does one team need?

The Greatest 101

Dec 10, 2013
Manchuria
The top 4 is exactly the same as in the playoffs and it was putrid. Why do you think it will change in the coming season? Maatta is a really bad partner for JS. Even Sully realized it in the playoffs. I believe JS was playing with Olek the last few games. Also, not a fan of Letang whatsoever.

JR still has a lot of work to do.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
The top 4 is exactly the same as in the playoffs and it was putrid. Why do you think it will change in the coming season? Maatta is a really bad partner for JS. Even Sully realized it in the playoffs. I believe JS was playing with Olek the last few games. Also, not a fan of Letang whatsoever.

Letang is a stud! He had an off year coming off surgery so I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt since in my opinion he was one of the top 5 defenseman in the league before that injury. Even in one of his worst years he still got over 50 points and that was with a really bad first half. Also I have no problem with Maatta as a top 4 defenseman. I bet JR makes no movement with the defense in a trade this summer. If he makes a deal it will be for a forward. I am fine going into the season with this team and think its the best team in the league.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Just going thru rosters and LW'ers(and some C/LW'ers) i could see being/potentially becoming available this season:

Still UFA's:
Neal
Rick Nash(??? not sure if retiring or...)
Duclair

Via Trade:
Pacioretty
Skinner
Lucic
Sobotka(maybe)
Nyquist
Jamie McGinn
Domi(if things don't work out in MTL)
Byron
Duchene
Palat or Killorn(if Tampa wanted to beef up at C)
J. Staal
Panarin(don'ttttt see that one happening. lol)
Marcus Johansson
Bailey, Lee, Nelson
Kreider, Spooner, Vesey
Saad(maybe), Anisimov
Soderberg, Wilson
Zucker
Perreault, Lowry
Silfverberg(maybe), Cogliano, Eaves(still dealing with a muscle disease and i dunno what his status is), Ritchie
Perlini, Dvorak(maybe)
Sam Bennett
Brown, Toffoli, Pearson, Kempe
Tierney, Thornton
Eriksson, Markus Granlund
Tatar, Haula(maybe)

There ya go!
If ya really look at it(trade route), if Skinner is PIT and maybe 1 other team in the mix for him due to him nixing deals, JR's not gonna get a much better LW'er.
There is still one spot(LA) thats interesting if JR wanted to move Phil to get 2 F's or a F+D but i'd still rather keep #81. Maybe CHI too.
Much more interesting spots for Brass in terms of a C for LW swap or Hags(as camp dump)+futures.
And if JJ(with Rig) solidifies himself(praying hands/looking up to sky), JR can potentially use Maatta as trade bait.

Last edited:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
X- Malkin-Horny/Kessel
Hag-Brass-Horny/Kessel

Did I forget anyone?

Sprong. He needs to clear waivers, so he'll be here.

TorstenFrings

lebenslang gruenweiss
Apr 25, 2012
Bremen

There is really only so much you can spruce up the defense, when your premise is that Letang is going to continue to suck, anyway. If that comes to pass, then signing a better 4/5 is hanging new drapes in a ruin.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
If you’d tell me Neal would play like he did the last couple years and not revert back to making Malkin a pass only player and a penalty machine, I’d just find the cap to sign him.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I do hope Sprong is good. The RW is deep but we know Crosby-Kessel will never happen, Crosby-Hornqvist isn’t always good and Crosby-Rust seems to neuter Rust.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Haven't been here for a while I must say. I'm happy that it was Sheary and Hunwick that were our cap casualties.

As for Jack Johnson, I'm conflicted. I think there may have been better options out there.

How is the Oleksiak situation? We should be able to re-sign him with the space we got, no?

Reactions: NJPensFan5

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Haven't been here for a while I must say. I'm happy that it was Sheary and Hunwick that were our cap casualties.

How is the Oleksiak situation? We should be able to re-sign him with the space we got, no?

Qualified, negotiations are continuing, the space should be more than sufficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->