Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Countdown to October (Cap Details + Links in First Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
On December 4, DeSmith pleaded not guilty to every charge with the exception of disorderly conduct, which falls below the level of misdemeanor, the paper said. He also signed a diversion agreement, which lead to all charges being dismissed.

The school was even going to reinstate him.

During the hearing, DeSmith presented two detailed statements that included evidence which called into question allegations that had been made against him, including an allegation that he had caused physical harm to another student, his former girlfriend. That evidence showed that a) she showed no sign whatsoever of having been struck and was completely uninjured, b) she gave wildly different accounts of what had happened that night to police, c) neither of her descriptions of what happened agreed with first-hand accounts provided to police by eyewitnesses, and d) a teammate, Wildcats captain Matt Willows, stated that she later told him that DeSmith had not, in fact, struck her.

After the hearing board examined the evidence, it found that DeSmith was not responsible for causing physical harm, and determined that he should be allowed to register as a student in good standing again as of December 20.

You might be talking about the college, but the legal court made him agree to diversion. Which is basically him admitting to the situation to get out of technically being charged.

RizzleMcRib

Cheeseburgers and rocket ships.
Jun 17, 2014
Wherever there are cheeseburgers.
Ah yes. I've been known to take copious amounts of toluene to the head and obstruct the use of sidewalks.

Heh... but really... I'm not talking about the drunken disorderly part. I'm talking about the beating on your girl when you are in that state of mind part.
I don't even know why someone would be huffing gas in public. Who carries around a gas can?

I obviously am oblivious to what toluene was. I just realized it's paint thinner.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Even if moving Kessel brings us a downgrade on LW, but allows us to bringing in a long term top four D, I’d be open to it.

Kessel is not Hossa. He is not going to age gracefully and likely if effective offensively the holes in his game will be magnified as he ages.

I believe Kessel’s has the IQ and skill to age reasonably well for the rest of his contract. It’s a question of if a replacement would be better value than Kessel from 31-35 at 6.8M. Pacioretty is only a year younger than him too.

RizzleMcRib

Jun 17, 2014
You might be talking about the college, but the legal court made him agree to diversion. Which is basically him admitting to the situation to get out of technically being charged.
So he wasn't charged.

The college part was me saying that there was sufficient evidence to prove no wrongdoing. That's why he was reinstated (if he wanted).

FYI, I'm not condoning domestic abuse.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV

Actually, it's probably more to do with it being an alcohol related incident than anything else. Everything I've read, albeit a cursory investigation, makes it seem like there was no "there" there.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com

I'm also in this line of work, unfortunately. A diversionary program is technically not a conviction actually. Only does the original or underlying charge become a conviction if the diversionary program is not satisfied. It can roughly be likened to that of a settlement (such as the one the NFL had recently regarding concussions). That is not an admission of guilt. It's a settlement to make things go away. What one wants to read into after that fact is up to them...but going into a diversionary program is not adjudged as a conviction from a technical perspective.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
The PP comment is very accurate.

The part that temps me is how complete Patches game is. Personally I'd rather have a lot of 2way or guys who are "good/great" defensively, then someone with a little more skill and are average to below average defensively. We already have multiple elite talents offensively in Crosby & Malkin. I hate the fact that last season we had multiple players who couldn't/shouldn't play with other players because of how poor both were defensively (Sheary, Kessel and Guentzel). This year it's the same thing (with Simon/Sprong in there for Sheary). You have someone like Patches there instead of Kessel, and suddenly that's no longer an issue. So in that regard, it's tempting.

In a hypothetical world where you can swap players in and out, that may make sense. But the transactional costs of trying to get rid of Phil, then acquire Patches will result in a lesser end product. We're not getting good value sending Phil out, and Montreal is going to ask for a lot to get Patches. Much better for us to just balance Phil with a LW who can pick up the slack, especially when we have the perfect one in Hagelin.

The fact that Patches needs a new deal tips the balance even further in this direction.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I don't even know why someone would be huffing gas in public. Who carries around a gas can?

I obviously am oblivious to what toluene was. I just realized it's paint thinner.

I had to look up toluene, as well. That was a new one to me.

As for the hows... I mean... I get a little bougie with it and carry a bedazzled flask full of gas around my neck with the number 81 on one side and a hot dog on the other. I've been told it makes me look very classy and distinguished when I'm rolling around on the ground mumbling about other dimensions, universal one-ness and other such wonderful nonsense. But that could also be the irreparable organ and nerve damage talking.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
That should be a prerequisite, absolutely.

Problem is, any team would have a tough time proving that to the public. Not sure the best way to go about it, to be honest. He's a great player and I know other sports teams have garbage human beings on their team and the Pens players likely have their own skeletons, but spousal abuse is serious and if we want eliminate violence against women, sports teams need to take strong stances.

RizzleMcRib

Jun 17, 2014
I had to look up toluene, as well. That was a new one to me.

As for the hows... I mean... I get a little bougie with it and carry a bedazzled flask full of gas around my neck with the number 81 on one side and a hot dog on the other. I've been told it makes me look very classy and distinguished when I'm rolling around on the ground mumbling about other dimensions, universal one-ness and other such wonderful nonsense. But that could also be the irreparable organ and nerve damage talking.
I appreciate your correct use of the word "bougie." That may be the first time I've ever seen it on here. :thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Problem is, any team would have a tough time proving that to the public. Not sure the best way to go about it, to be honest. He's a great player and I know other sports teams have garbage human beings on their team and the Pens players likely have their own skeletons, but spousal abuse is serious and if we want eliminate violence against women, sports teams need to take strong stances.

The situation would be about as delicate as you can get. I find the best approach to most issues is to be as up front and accountable as possible. Don't try to dismiss it, acknowledge the elephant in the room and why you think Voynov deserves a second chance. His wife obviously thought he did, and she has more reason than anyone to be resentful - her voice ought to be heard.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Well, they don't like rocking the boat one way or the other. You could argue it would ruffle more PA feathers if they refused a WH visit than the route they went, saying it was a team honour and they're keeping individual politics out of it.

They definitely rocked the boat while going and then kept making things worse. From the timing of the announcement, what the players were saying (not talking/thinking about it, the one black player saying he wouldn’t go if he was part of it), Sullivan whining about people being too hard on Crosby (the org should have gotten more shit but he was a full blown adult getting shit for his actions/words so cry me a river) and Sullivan saying they'd never worked a day in their lives because they love their jobs so much.

It may have been better in PA (would they care about Voynov?) but they rocked the boat and it was bizarrely clumsy. I think because their usual hockey shtick didn’t fit the situation? They expected “hockey players. So classy. Of course it’s not political because they’re classy and saying so.” Which could be the point with someone like Voynov. LA also thought it was a good idea to have him in practice right after he was suspended and the Blackhawks trot out Bobby Hull. Sports are archaic with this garbage.

RizzleMcRib

Jun 17, 2014
They definitely rocked the boat while going and then kept making things worse. From the timing of the announcement, what the players were saying (not talking/thinking about it, the one black player saying he wouldn’t go if he was part of it), Sullivan whining about people being too hard on Crosby (the org should have gotten more **** but he was a full blown adult getting **** for his actions/words so cry me a river) and Sullivan saying they'd never worked a day in their lives because they love their jobs so much.

It may have been better in PA (would they care about Voynov?) but they rocked the boat and it was bizarrely clumsy. I think because their usual hockey shtick didn’t fit the situation? They expected “hockey players. So classy. Of course it’s not political because they’re classy and saying so.” Which could be the point with someone like Voynov. LA also thought it was a good idea to have him in practice right after he was suspended and the Blackhawks trot out Bobby Hull. Sports are archaic with this garbage.

The whole WH thing, I honestly couldn't care less. Go if you want. Don't go if you want. I'm not going to stop being a fan over it. Neither will 99% of Pens fans.

Reactions: TooManyHumans

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
The situation would be about as delicate as you can get. I find the best approach to most issues is to be as up front and accountable as possible. Don't try to dismiss it, acknowledge the elephant in the room and why you think Voynov deserves a second chance. His wife obviously thought he did, and she has more reason than anyone to be resentful - her voice ought to be heard.

I'm not saying a definite no and I don't know his wife so shouldn't speculate, but I'll just say there are plenty of examples of women staying with abusive husbands despite the abuse continuing. Again, I have no idea if that's the case here and won't speculate one way or the other.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

As someone that watched the Kings in person throughout 2012. I would love to have Voynov here as a player. Dude is absolutely a stud when it comes to that side of the game.

After seeing the pictures that leaked after that situation, I don’t know how you root for that person regardless.

Knowing the NHL someone would petition him for the Masterton if he had a good season.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

Really???? Can you offer any evidence that sports teams taking a strong stance has any effect on violence against women? This is all feel good gobbledygook.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I'm also in this line of work, unfortunately. A diversionary program is technically not a conviction actually. Only does the original or underlying charge become a conviction if the diversionary program is not satisfied. It can roughly be likened to that of a settlement (such as the one the NFL had recently regarding concussions). That is not an admission of guilt. It's a settlement to make things go away. What one wants to read into after that fact is up to them...but going into a diversionary program is not adjudged as a conviction from a technical perspective.

This is why we have an attorney at my company. Thanks for the clarification.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Maatta+3rd for Patches. Sign Hamhuis, Enstrom or Demelo for 1 year.

Jake Sid Sprong
Hagelin Malkin Kessel
Pacioretty Brassard Hornqvist
Cullen Sheahan Rust

Then trade Kessel next year for a dman to replace Maatta and re-sign Pacioretty

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
With Ennis getting 650,000 with Toronto for 1 year... Would you have taken the chance he may return to his 40ish point self? He is 28, but injury prone and has had 3 down years.

I don’t really think our team needs scoring on the wing. We need another Hagelin, but we essentially got it in Cullen.

I see no real issue with our forward depth going into the season and any issues can easily be filled in season or by one of our young players.

Reactions: Warm Cookies
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA