Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Countdown to October (Cap Details + Links in First Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Kessel biggest fault this post season was his absolute pathetic performance on the powerplay. I also do not agree that our powerplay runs through Kessel at all.

On the PP when they come up the ice the puck gets dropped back to someone and it’s generally Kessel that gets it and either dishes it to someone going into the O zone or he skated it across himself

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
On the PP when they come up the ice the puck gets dropped back to someone and it’s generally Kessel that gets it and either dishes it to someone going into the O zone or he skated it across himself

Not to mention when the Pens are setup in the offensive zone, a lot of the play runs through Kessel.

It's kind of strange to suggest the PP doesn't run through him since he's integral to zone entries as well as moving the puck around in-zone.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Kessel biggest fault this post season was his absolute pathetic performance on the powerplay. I also do not agree that our powerplay runs through Kessel at all.

I dunno, our PP goes a lot through Kessel. He's arguably the qb. Geno triggerman. Sid facilitates down low.

He was def awful on it in the playoffs though.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I assume a roster player is going over if Skinner comes here.

Which is why I didn't mention Hagelin.

I think it’s unlikely CAR trades Faulk or Skinner at this point this summer, and Skinner more unlikely than Faulk, because either
1) they are asking way too much in return and quite obviously haven’t bitten at any offers pre or post draft, or 2) they don’t want to trade in the division and the known serious offers have come from the Pens and the Isles (for Faulk)....could be both...either way I don’t see the Pens landing him unless CAR changes their expectations....they already know about his trade list teams, and maybe somebody else there reaches out with an offer that they like but it really seems unlikely at this point with FA mostly over and teams know what their roster looks like...maybe Skinner’s contract demands are too high...I could see CAR possibly revisiting these teams around the TDL to see if someone gets desperate for scoring help, but they’ll likely only get draft picks back....more likely he just stays there until he’s a FA....

Keeping a guy like Skinner until they walk in free agency shouldn't be an option for a rebuilding team that's unlikely to keep him. I get what you say about why they're unlikely to trade him, but surely at some point they have to blink. For all the good reasons they have to delay, there's also reasons not to delay, and the reasons not to delay will only grow stronger. Maybe it doesn't happen this summer - but at some point, surely, they need to trade him. Don't know if it helps us mind.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Kessel’s wrist shot from the wall and play to Sid/Horny on the slot, as well as entry into the zone is pretty big on the PP. A shame he uses a noodle stick but it’s a trade off.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Caught a podcast with @Jesse
Was pretty good. Goes over alot of stuff/Jesse's JJ article, etc. etc.
Tidbits i'll leave you with, he'd like another D-Man, understandably.
Says not in favor of a Brass for Skinner swap but likes Brass for Patches with the caveat that other salary would have to move.

Reactions: TooManyHumans

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Letang, Kessel to Vegas for Schmidt, 1st. Letang is reunited with Engo and Fleury. Phil has two Cups and can play poker into the sunset.

Two 1sts, Maatta, Jarry, some other prospect for Karlsson.

Dumoulin-Karlsson
Schmidt-Schultz
Johnson-whocares

You save like two million bucks even with a Karlsson extension. Pens would never not have the puck. If you have a problem with this incredibly likely scenario I don’t wanna hear it :popcorn:

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I guess if they are in on Karlsson and Ottawa’s doesn’t want Letang Vegas as a third party makes sense. Assuming they want Letang, Karlsson won’t re-sign in Vegas, Karlsson will re-sign here and Letang will go to Vegas. Schmidt is a UFA after this season though.

Reactions: Turin

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Guentzel-Crosby-Hornqvist
Brassard-Malkin-Rust
Hagelin-Sheahan-Sprong
Simon-Cullen-ZAR

Dumoulin-Karlsson
Schmidt-Schultz
Johnson-Ruhwedel

That roster has 12 million in cap space this year baby.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Brassard-Malkin-Rust
Hagelin-Sheahan-Sprong
Simon-Cullen-ZAR

Dumoulin-Karlsson
Schmidt-Schultz
Johnson-Ruhwedel

Is it really an improvement over what we ran this year?

Oh, missed Brassard still being on the roster. Yeah it is.

Schmidt is good. I wonder if once Karlsson gets traded we could move Letang to Vegas for Theodore +. That would be great imo for both teams.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Brassard-Malkin-Rust
Hagelin-Sheahan-Sprong
Simon-Cullen-ZAR

Dumoulin-Karlsson
Schmidt-Schultz
Johnson-Ruhwedel

That’s not surprising. Letang being replaced by Karlsson helps their cap situation this season and they’re in pretty good shape for them right now. It’s the seasons that will follow.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Is it really an improvement over what we ran this year?

That defense is *nasty*. The centres would have the easiest jobs in the world with that kind of transition. A lot depends on Sprong though, but in my imagination he takes a big step so idc. I’d still look to maybe use Brassard to upgrade the wing but you get younger, you get cap space to keep guys like Guentzel and Murray easily, you get another generational talent. I’d also probably try to get a 4th like RW and bump ZAR down for now.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
That defense is *nasty*. The centres would have the easiest jobs in the world with that kind of transition. A lot depends on Sprong though, but in my imagination he takes a big step so idc. I’d still look to maybe use Brassard to upgrade the wing but you get younger, you get cap space to keep guys like Guentzel and Murray easily, you get another generational talent. I’d also probably try to get a 4th like RW and bump ZAR down for now.

I think the key to that line-up is using Brassard and Sheahan as pivots.

Like I said, I thought Brass was traded. It’s an all in roster, but we lost a ton of money the next year which I kind of like.

That being said, if we are going all in to restructure we can’t be throwing away futures. It is why I’d explore Theodore + for Letang that’d be a really solid deal for both teams.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I guess if they are in on Karlsson and Ottawa’s doesn’t want Letang Vegas as a third party makes sense. Assuming they want Letang, Karlsson won’t re-sign in Vegas, Karlsson will re-sign here and Letang will go to Vegas. Schmidt is a UFA after this season though.

I got a headache trying to figure out all these moving parts. Did we just end up with Ryan Reaves for Phil Kessel?

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Letang, Kessel to Vegas for Schmidt, 1st. Letang is reunited with Engo and Fleury. Phil has two Cups and can play poker into the sunset.

Two 1sts, Maatta, Jarry, some other prospect for Karlsson.

Dumoulin-Karlsson
Schmidt-Schultz
Johnson-whocares

You save like two million bucks even with a Karlsson extension. Pens would never not have the puck. If you have a problem with this incredibly likely scenario I don’t wanna hear it :popcorn:

Letang, Kessel, our 1st round pick, Maatta, Jarry and some other prospect

For Karlsson and Schmidt.

I’m going to need a hosing down on this one :laugh:

giphy.gif

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
That’s not surprising. Letang being replaced by Karlsson helps their cap situation this season and they’re in pretty good shape for them right now. It’s the seasons that will follow.

I mean yea. I don’t want to defend this scenario too hard for obvious reasons buuuut.. say Karlsson gets a 5 mil raise, that’s 7 mil left. Hagelin, Brassard and Sheahan come off the books that’s 16 million to re-sign Guentzel/Sheahan/Schmidt. You can dump Johnson or move Schultz to create even more space and still have a good D. Cap probably goes up again at the same time.

I’ve already put too much thought into this than I wanted to :laugh:

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Letang, Kessel, our 1st round pick, Maatta, Jarry and some other prospect

For Karlsson and Schmidt.

I’m going to need a hosing down on this one :laugh:

giphy.gif

Karlsson, Schmidt and the ability to give Guentzel and Murray whatever they want :thumbu:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I mean yea. I don’t want to defend this scenario too hard for obvious reasons buuuut.. say Karlsson gets a 5 mil raise, that’s 7 mil left. Hagelin, Brassard and Sheahan come off the books that’s 16 million to re-sign Guentzel/Sheahan/Schmidt. You can dump Johnson or move Schultz to create even more space and still have a good D. Cap probably goes up again at the same time.

I’ve already put too much thought into this than I wanted to :laugh:

In reality though Schmidt in 2016-17 is exactly the type of player we should move Letang or Kessel for if we are trading them.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Schmidt is good. I wonder if once Karlsson gets traded we could move Letang to Vegas for Theodore +. That would be great imo for both teams.

If Theodore were available for Karlsson, I'd imagine he'd be a Knight already. I don't think he'd be available for Letang, but I really, really hope I'm wrong and you bring this up to throw it in my face.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I got a headache trying to figure out all these moving parts. Did we just end up with Ryan Reaves for Phil Kessel?

Kessel doesn’t get you Reaves...?

I missed the Kessel part. That’s f***ing terrible. Stop trying to piss away the roster. Kessel and Letang for Schmidt who is a year away from free agency and a 1st.jesus Christ.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Kessel doesn’t get you Reaves...?

I missed the Kessel part. That’s ****ing terrible. Stop trying to piss away the roster. Kessel and Letang for Schmidt who is a year away from free agency and a 1st.jesus Christ.

We're getting Schmidt AND Jesus Christ? That's a steal as long as the Pens don't open the playoffs the first weekend of April.

Reactions: Tom Hanks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino