Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2018-19 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Honestly, we are getting more production from Lowry, Tanev and Perreault, than we are from Ehlers. That's the Ehlers that got Stastny as a centre last year and still couldn't score in the playoffs. So it's potentially 30, but through 7 games, Anderson has 4 more goals and a +5 on his ledger.
I think it's really short-sighted to base a long-term decision on a short stretch. Ehlers has been a very productive player for two years, at a very young age. He had 160 NHL points by about the time he turned 22 years old. Anderson was just getting his first NHL position at age 22, and has a grand total of 68 points by 24 years of age. They are in different stratospheres in terms of skill and productivity.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Would you trade Ehlers for a potential top 4 LHD? A shutdown d-man would give the Jets 45 minutes of good defensive battle.

Ehlers production can be replaced internally by Perreault, with Veselainen developing behind him.

I was thinking Ehlers for Ryan Murray and Josh Anderson.

I'm not sure I would trade Perreault for those 2. If you are going to trade Ehlers for a D man try Pesce. Get a right hander who can replace Trouba. But even if you must get a lefty, get a good one! Get a top pairing player, or at least a legit 2nd pair player. Murray is nowhere close and adding Anderson doesn't help.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Honestly, we are getting more production from Lowry, Tanev and Perreault, than we are from Ehlers. That's the Ehlers that got Stastny as a centre last year and still couldn't score in the playoffs. So it's potentially 30, but through 7 games, Anderson has 4 more goals and a +5 on his ledger.

Talk about recency bias and small sample size! Ehlers had 29 goals last season. He's 22 YO and has scored 69 goals.

You can trade anybody - but get value. And don't trade any player - ever - because you are disappointed in their first 8 games of the season.

Reactions: Snowman

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Talk about recency bias and small sample size! Ehlers had 29 goals last season. He's 22 YO and has scored 69 goals.

You can trade anybody - but get value. And don't trade any player - ever - because you are disappointed in their first 8 games of the season.

Not just the first 8 games. The entire playoffs. This team needs a LD this year, not a RD for next year. You can trade Trouba for his own replacement. Run Niku and Poolman as your 3rd pair next year. Let Myers, Chiarot walk and buyout Kulikov. That's about 10 million in salary cap space. A top 4 LD is a necessity to go far. It is what will allow us to keep pace with Nashville and Colorado. People keep pumping up Ehlers, based on past stats. But he is not producing. Was outscored head to head by Alex Tuch for chrissakes. Talent, talent, talent, but no production. If I get 2 quality players for him I take it. Murray played ahead of Trouba in the World Cup. He would be a significant upgrade in our defensive defenseman, from Chiarot and Kulikov. I'd take Boone Jenner if not Anderson.

I just don't think Ehlers has what it takes to get us all the way. I see him as a valuable asset, which would bring assets back.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Not just the first 8 games. The entire playoffs. This team needs a LD this year, not a RD for next year. You can trade Trouba for his own replacement. Run Niku and Poolman as your 3rd pair next year. Let Myers, Chiarot walk and buyout Kulikov. That's about 10 million in salary cap space. A top 4 LD is a necessity to go far. It is what will allow us to keep pace with Nashville and Colorado. People keep pumping up Ehlers, based on past stats. But he is not producing. Was outscored head to head by Alex Tuch for chrissakes. Talent, talent, talent, but no production. If I get 2 quality players for him I take it. Murray played ahead of Trouba in the World Cup. He would be a significant upgrade in our defensive defenseman, from Chiarot and Kulikov. I'd take Boone Jenner if not Anderson.

I just don't think Ehlers has what it takes to get us all the way. I see him as a valuable asset, which would bring assets back.

You are still looking at a very small sample by including last year's playoffs. Nobody is arguing that he has been producing recently. But he is playing well, getting chances. They will start to go in. This is normal. Players do not produce at a steady rate. All players are streaky.

I can accept trading any player for the right price. Your proposal is not for 2 quality players. It does not include 1 quality player. I don't care about any BS tournament! Murray is just not good and he certainly isn't good defensively. Neither is Anderson. If Ehlers is going to CBJ, Werensky is coming back.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

The playoffs are a different beast - and that was Ehlers' first kick at the can. He missed 2 playoff games (with "malaise"?) and was still tied for 7th in team scoring.

I know some people just aren't fans, and that's fine. But I think he's pretty skilled, on a pretty team-friendly deal, and it would be shortsighted to sell low. Ehlers is sporting a team-worst PDO of .934 right now...it'll turn around for him.

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
If Ehlers is going to CBJ, Werensky is coming back.

Actually, that’s intriguing! Another thought I had was Ehlers for Nurse+. McJesus gets someone to play with and we get a one two punch of Morrissey/Nurse on the left. Not sure how I feel about facing off against a McJesus/Ehlers duo, that scares me

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Actually, that’s intriguing! Another thought I had was Ehlers for Nurse+. McJesus gets someone to play with and we get a one two punch of Morrissey/Nurse on the left. Not sure how I feel about facing off against a McJesus/Ehlers duo, that scares me

I wouldn't want to face that combo. :laugh:
Nurse has improved but I still don't think he would be worth Ehlers. Oil would have to add and then you just need to win big if trading with Chiarelli so the add would have to be big.

Can't see the Oilers moving D right now, but who knows.

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
I wouldn't want to face that combo. :laugh:
Nurse has improved but I still don't think he would be worth Ehlers. Oil would have to add and then you just need to win big if trading with Chiarelli so the add would have to be big.

Can't see the Oilers moving D right now, but who knows.

I did day Nurse +, just not sure of the +.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Look, we're not trading Ehlers, so let's just put that discussion to rest. The guy has loads of talent and will be a superstar one day. He's just going through a bit of a funk right now, which isn't that uncommon for a young player.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
You are still looking at a very small sample by including last year's playoffs. Nobody is arguing that he has been producing recently. But he is playing well, getting chances. They will start to go in. This is normal. Players do not produce at a steady rate. All players are streaky.

I can accept trading any player for the right price. Your proposal is not for 2 quality players. It does not include 1 quality player. I don't care about any BS tournament! Murray is just not good and he certainly isn't good defensively. Neither is Anderson. If Ehlers is going to CBJ, Werensky is coming back.

Well that's overrating your player by a quite bit and underrating others. But that's ok, it's just a fan forum.

boydkc

Aug 2, 2015
Perreault is good for 15 goals and half a season. Vesalainen is on the moose.

I'm very frustrated with Ehlers, but 30+30 if he can do that is something Jets will need.
I still believe that Ehlers should go to the moose for a month and learn how to be a centre .

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Look, we're not trading Ehlers, so let's just put that discussion to rest. The guy has loads of talent and will be a superstar one day. He's just going through a bit of a funk right now, which isn't that uncommon for a young player.

He's in his 4th year. He is contributing to neither special teams, but is somehow a sacred cow.

I'd like to know how we get the LD we need. Nobody here is going to say that Niku is going to be a top 4 d-man in a shutdown role this year. His progression is slower than that.

Chiarot, Morrow, Kulikov? as your 2nd and 3rd pairing d? Trade Myers you lose an important PK part. And force Poolman in. Who hasn't shown he can play top 4, when injury besets.

If Kulikov were tradeable I'd suggest him.

I'll still say that Ehlers is a valuable asset, with a big cap hit (if he is worth 6 million, is Connor worth 7?)
Laine 9?). Getting winning pieces for him, would be something I consider.

Like I said we're behind Nashville and Colorado in d, and even with Minnesota. Centre we're middle of the pack. Lowry tips it in our favour a bit. If our wingers are the difference, I'd like to see it.
You put Lemieux in and the team got better. I want to see Ehlers make players better, and I don't think he can anymore.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Well that's overrating your player by a quite bit and underrating others. But that's ok, it's just a fan forum.

I have to wonder if you have any idea who Nikolaj Ehlers is. Why would you want to underrate your own player and overrate others. Most fans go the opposite way. But you're right. It is OK, its just a fan forum. :)

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I don't think I would realistically do Ehlers for Nurse - unless the add was very big. That would be like letting Chiarelli off the hook for the Hall/Larsson trade.

Ehlers for Werenski, I would seriously think about. Considering D vs W, we would have to add but it shouldn't be too large.

But this topic coming up now is a bit of a hot take. I would wait until Ehlers has a bit of a hot streak to get the value up before trading him. During a hot streak, no one here would be willing. We wouldn't be seeing this come up if he had 4-5 goals.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I dont know if EDM does that.

1) they dont have the cap. 0 chance we take a dump
2) Nurse's value is very likely>Ehlers in their POV. Just as bad as they need W they need contributing Dmen even worse

Afterburner

FREE UKRAINE
Sponsor
Jun 24, 2016
Dimension C-137
There is no way they're getting rid of Ehlers. He's been awesome before, he will be again. He just had a little downward funk, and he's already looking better.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
He's in his 4th year. He is contributing to neither special teams, but is somehow a sacred cow.

I'd like to know how we get the LD we need. Nobody here is going to say that Niku is going to be a top 4 d-man in a shutdown role this year. His progression is slower than that.

Chiarot, Morrow, Kulikov? as your 2nd and 3rd pairing d? Trade Myers you lose an important PK part. And force Poolman in. Who hasn't shown he can play top 4, when injury besets.

If Kulikov were tradeable I'd suggest him.

I'll still say that Ehlers is a valuable asset, with a big cap hit (if he is worth 6 million, is Connor worth 7?)
Laine 9?). Getting winning pieces for him, would be something I consider.

Like I said we're behind Nashville and Colorado in d, and even with Minnesota. Centre we're middle of the pack. Lowry tips it in our favour a bit. If our wingers are the difference, I'd like to see it.
You put Lemieux in and the team got better. I want to see Ehlers make players better, and I don't think he can anymore.

If the Canucks are out of it at the TD, I wonder if a guy like Edler would be available.

I hope if the Jets are adding, they are looking for a depth piece like that and not looking for a blockbuster moving a guy like Ehlers. Especially since we don't know how the Trouba situation will play out. If the Jets went out and moved Ehlers for a LHD, what happens if Trouba walks and we're now more deficient on the right?

Reactions: voyageur

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I have to wonder if you have any idea who Nikolaj Ehlers is. Why would you want to underrate your own player and overrate others. Most fans go the opposite way. But you're right. It is OK, its just a fan forum. :)

Ehlers is the guy that can't score, started on the 4th line. The guy that gifted the Oilers an OT victory. Kind of like Alex Galchenyuk, stock is falling.

Werenski is Morrissey good. Ehlers is not a leader. He's like the Drouin of our team. Need the right pieces to get him going. I know Chevy would sell higher on him than I proposed, if it ever came to be. Chevy and his scouting staff know hockey. But the 2 players I suggested would both help in ways that Ehlers isn't (shutdown PKing d, and a RH power winger to replace Armia). The latter may be less necessary if Suess becomes our 4C, moving Roslovic to the wing.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Ehlers is the guy that can't score, started on the 4th line. The guy that gifted the Oilers an OT victory. Kind of like Alex Galchenyuk, stock is falling.

Werenski is Morrissey good. Ehlers is not a leader. He's like the Drouin of our team. Need the right pieces to get him going. I know Chevy would sell higher on him than I proposed, if it ever came to be. Chevy and his scouting staff know hockey. But the 2 players I suggested would both help in ways that Ehlers isn't (shutdown PKing d, and a RH power winger to replace Armia). The latter may be less necessary if Suess becomes our 4C, moving Roslovic to the wing.
He's had 54 goals the past 2 years itll pick up. the whole team minus the CLT line cant score at EV and a majority of the production is on the PP. Werenski shouldn't be available from a CBJ POV barring major overpayment. Kid's a stud and will anchor their top pair with Jones for years

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yes. Ehlers is washed up. At 22.

He's a 60 point player already. A scoring slump shouldn't have the Jets jettisoning him into the sun.

Agree - but I would trade Niko for the right price. The proposal here wasn't in the ballpark.

Difficult as it appears to be trading Trouba, I'd bet we could get a pretty good LW for him, if that was the target. A lot easier than having to get a top pairing RHD for him. So I'd do Ehlers for Pesce. That would immediately allow moving Trouba. Myers too for that matter, with top 4 RHD being solidified.

I'm anything but anxious to move Ehlers. We immediately go from being a fast team to being a team with a little speed, here and there. But it may be necessary to better balance the team.

If the 2nd part of this could be the Trouba to Fla for Borgstrom + Pysyk we would have our LW Ehlers replacement/future 2C plus a right side D of Pesce, Buff, Pysyk. Not to mention our cap crunch being pushed back a couple of years.

Fantasy though. Right? :laugh:
How would a Finn line of KV - Borgstrom - Laine be in a year or two?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad