Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2018-19 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Wouldn't surprise me if the Oilers pick up Dano

I agree with Bard here - the Oilers would be a good candidate, as well as other teams that struggled last year.

So we're looking at Edmonton, Arizona, Vancouver, Detroit or Montreal -- I would think one of these types of teams will be all over picking up Dano.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

I agree with Bard here - the Oilers would be a good candidate, as well as other teams that struggled last year.

So we're looking at Edmonton, Arizona, Vancouver, Detroit or Montreal -- I would think one of these types of teams will be all over picking up Dano.
As above, why wouldn't any of them offer a future 7th round pick, or something. Dano's value around the league must be rock bottom to have Chevy waive him instead of a trade.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Saying a 24 year old defenseman is pretty much is what he will be is patently false.

Some are, some aren't. He isn't that because he is 24. He is that because he isn't 21 anymore, because he is in his 6th NHL season and isn't getting much better.

Reactions: Snowman

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Columbus is not happy with Wennberg, atleast their fans are not. It would be great if we could find a way to get him to Winnipeg, a pure passer like him would be a great fit with Laine. Doesn't seem realistic esp with Little's NMC... maybe he will waive it for Columbus if Columbus wants him.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Is he available?

Everybody is available for the right price.
Pesce would be exactly what we need. A top pairing shut down Dman. And he is on a good contract.

If we could spring him from Canes, we would be free to trade Trouba for the best value we could get without worrying about position or timing. In fact, Carolina might be on Trouba's short list. Maybe. How about Trouba + something to make it interesting for Carolina for Pesce + something to make the value closer?

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Everybody is available for the right price.
Pesce would be exactly what we need. A top pairing shut down Dman. And he is on a good contract.

If we could spring him from Canes, we would be free to trade Trouba for the best value we could get without worrying about position or timing. In fact, Carolina might be on Trouba's short list. Maybe. How about Trouba + something to make it interesting for Carolina for Pesce + something to make the value closer?

The main thing is why would Carolina want to trade Pesce for Trouba when they already have Hamilton and Faulk on the right side with Pesce being on their 3rd pairing? They are looking for wingers from what I've read so they probably only have interest in Connor, Laine and Ehlers. Maybe Perreault.

They definitely have the cap space right now but have to re-up quite a few guys this season. I just don't think Carolina would be motivated enough to make that deal unless we make it worth their while.

Reactions: Huffer

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The main thing is why would Carolina want to trade Pesce for Trouba when they already have Hamilton and Faulk on the right side with Pesce being on their 3rd pairing? They are looking for wingers from what I've read so they probably only have interest in Connor, Laine and Ehlers. Maybe Perreault.

They definitely have the cap space right now but have to re-up quite a few guys this season. I just don't think Carolina would be motivated enough to make that deal unless we make it worth their while.

That's why we have to make the add something that motivates them. Or leave Trouba out of it. Just make them want to move Pesce. It is just a matter of price. Then trade Trouba to someone else.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

Not Montreal. They have 27 roster players, including IR. With players about to come off they are trying to trade someone. Probably Nikita Scherbak. Who I would take over Dano.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Columbus is not happy with Wennberg, atleast their fans are not. It would be great if we could find a way to get him to Winnipeg, a pure passer like him would be a great fit with Laine. Doesn't seem realistic esp with Little's NMC... maybe he will waive it for Columbus if Columbus wants him.

Come on man. Little is not getting traded. If Veselainen showed more, and Perreault could stay healthy, I think Ehlers would be the candidate for a LD. I wonder if Ehlers for Nylander ever becomes possible. Nylander would kick start our 2nd PP.

folix

Jul 24, 2011
Come on man. Little is not getting traded. If Veselainen showed more, and Perreault could stay healthy, I think Ehlers would be the candidate for a LD. I wonder if Ehlers for Nylander ever becomes possible. Nylander would kick start our 2nd PP.

Veselainen is getting the "token 8 games in the NHL" as promised, he was never going to stay here. Also hard to show anything other then splinters from the bench when you play an avg of 3 shifts per game. He isnt being allowed to show what he has. Im all for trading little but that 6mil a year? Thats why he cant be traded. Would love Nylander, i would trade Elhers in a second for him. We NEED that number 2 center, and well its apparent they are not willing to give Rosolovic a shot at it....yet. I think Pomo is going to give Little 10 games to secure it. Its stupid but it fits Pomo's style, Vets over talent lol.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Veselainen is getting the "token 8 games in the NHL" as promised, he was never going to stay here. Also hard to show anything other then splinters from the bench when you play an avg of 3 shifts per game. He isnt being allowed to show what he has. Im all for trading little but that 6mil a year? Thats why he cant be traded. Would love Nylander, i would trade Elhers in a second for him. We NEED that number 2 center, and well its apparent they are not willing to give Rosolovic a shot at it....yet. I think Pomo is going to give Little 10 games to secure it. Its stupid but it fits Pomo's style, Vets over talent lol.

Little isn't the problem on that line. I'm glad he is a career Jet. I think he'll be a useful RW, where he started in Atlanta once Roslovic matures. Ehlers-Laine don't generate enough offense, sustained. Ehlers tracks the puck so well, and Laine shoots it. Nylander generates offense, me moves the puck extremely well. Skates well. Nylander-Scheif-Laine would be dynamite. I would throw in Myers to get him. If Dermott came in the deal.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Little isn't the problem on that line. I'm glad he is a career Jet. I think he'll be a useful RW, where he started in Atlanta once Roslovic matures. Ehlers-Laine don't generate enough offense, sustained. Ehlers tracks the puck so well, and Laine shoots it. Nylander generates offense, me moves the puck extremely well. Skates well. Nylander-Scheif-Laine would be dynamite. I would throw in Myers to get him. If Dermott came in the deal.
I don't think Little is fast enough anymore. Watching the game last night the NHL seems a lot faster this year than it did last year and Little was fine but it looked like he just couldn't keep up with the action.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I don't think Little is fast enough anymore. Watching the game last night the NHL seems a lot faster this year than it did last year and Little was fine but it looked like he just couldn't keep up with the action.

The game is fast, built on speed. Wheeler is showing signs too of not keeping up. Chiarot looks slower this year. Little isn't overly fast, but he can still skate, his game is still strong because of positioning.

We're trying hard to make Ehlers fit because of his speed. But he is simply not producing for his salary. Little is still a strong faceoff man, a good passer, and penalty killer. He's not the problem. The problem is chemistry. I think Connor-Little-Wheeler would be a good second line. There's a lot of players Little complements well: Lowry, Tanev, Perreault, Roslovic, Copp. Ehlers for the youth and the worth isn't giving his money's worth in my opinion. That's why I would bid on Nylander, with his potential.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

Are you suggesting:

Ehlers & Myers for Nylander & Dermott?

If yes.....doubt the Leafs consider that deal. Dermott is being counted on to replace Gardiner after this year (as per many Leaf faithful). Plus while I would like to have Nylander as our 2C, I wouldn’t give up big assets to get him without a contract agreed to first at market value (roughly 6.5 million per over 7 yrs). I would love to get both Dermott & Nylander but it would cost more or a different offer then Ehlers & Myers (who is a UFA).

Leafs likely would love to have Ehlers, maybe even straight up for Nylander. Dermott would be tough to get from them bc he fills a future need.

Reactions: DRW204

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
The game is fast, built on speed. Wheeler is showing signs too of not keeping up. Chiarot looks slower this year. Little isn't overly fast, but he can still skate, his game is still strong because of positioning.

We're trying hard to make Ehlers fit because of his speed. But he is simply not producing for his salary. Little is still a strong faceoff man, a good passer, and penalty killer. He's not the problem. The problem is chemistry. I think Connor-Little-Wheeler would be a good second line. There's a lot of players Little complements well: Lowry, Tanev, Perreault, Roslovic, Copp. Ehlers for the youth and the worth isn't giving his money's worth in my opinion. That's why I would bid on Nylander, with his potential.

Dubas is off to Switzerland to meet with Nylander so I see no trade coming at all. Most likely he will sign a bridge deal?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Is he available?
don't think so. Carolina fans werent warm for a Pesce for Nylander swap, doubt we have any expendable pieces to entice them unless it's a severe overpayment

great, young RHD who can play very well on your top pair and is signed to a steal at 4M is a unicorn in this league. Think of having a right handed Josh Morrissey for 4m for 6 years
Are you suggesting:

Ehlers & Myers for Nylander & Dermott?

If yes.....doubt the Leafs consider that deal. Dermott is being counted on to replace Gardiner after this year (as per many Leaf faithful). Plus while I would like to have Nylander as our 2C, I wouldn’t give up big assets to get him without a contract agreed to first at market value (roughly 6.5 million per over 7 yrs). I would love to get both Dermott & Nylander but it would cost more or a different offer then Ehlers & Myers (who is a UFA).

Leafs likely would love to have Ehlers, maybe even straight up for Nylander. Dermott would be tough to get from them bc he fills a future need.
Agreed, Dermott is likely a pipe dream. Kid is much needed in their system and shouldn't be moved from a Leafs POV especially for a UFA-1 .... Myers is crap, might make their D even worse

Last edited:
Reactions: Hunter368

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
I think he'll be a useful RW, where he started in Atlanta once Roslovic matures.

I too see Little moving to RW once Roslovic takes over the 2C, but that's a horrible indictment on the GM. Chevy has committed a #### ton of salary to the least important position in hockey. Strange way to build a "contender".

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I too see Little moving to RW once Roslovic takes over the 2C, but that's a horrible indictment on the GM. Chevy has committed a #### ton of salary to the least important position in hockey. Strange way to build a "contender".

Well, LW is less important that RW. But 10.5 + 8.25 + 5.291 = 24.341 :eek:

I don't expect Little to move to RW right away - unless we get another C from somewhere. He will still play 3C for a couple of years.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Well, LW is less important that RW. But 10.5 + 8.25 + 5.291 = 24.341 :eek:

I don't expect Little to move to RW right away - unless we get another C from somewhere. He will still play 3C for a couple of years.

Why would LW be less important than RW? And a follow-up question... I'm sure you see this coming...

Is LW more important if the players are playing their off wings? ;)

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Why would LW be less important than RW? And a follow-up question... I'm sure you see this coming...

Is LW more important if the players are playing their off wings? ;)

Roughly 90% of the population is right handed. Right handers usually become left shots in hockey. There are far more LHS, both wingers and Dmen. So, good RHS are harder to find, more valuable.

No. :laugh:

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Roughly 90% of the population is right handed. Right handers usually become left shots in hockey. There are far more LHS, both wingers and Dmen. So, good RHS are harder to find, more valuable.

I'm a right handed right shot. Throw me in coach!
I'm an ambi-kicker in soccer and an ambi-pitcher in baseball too. Have issues catching fly balls with my left though.

Fun fact Ehlers is our only ambi-handed skater.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm a right handed right shot. Throw me in coach!
I'm an ambi-kicker in soccer and an ambi-pitcher in baseball too. Have issues catching fly balls with my left though.

Fun fact Ehlers is our only ambi-handed skater.

I can't remember the ratio of left to right shots in the NHL. Saw a number a couple of years ago. It wasn't 9:1, but it was substantial.

I'm somewhat ambi myself. Some things one way, some the other. Things I learned later in life I can still do either way. :laugh: I was that kid wearing a left handed baseball glove on my right hand. I'd catch the ball with my right, drop the glove and throw with my right. Eventually decided to learn to catch with my left just to stop the laughter. :laugh:

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

That makes no sense to me. I could see some right handed people becoming left shots out of necessity because there aren't enough wrong-handed people in the world, but to have most of them become backwards shooters just seems so wrong. Ideally, right handed people would shoot right, even if they play LW or LD. :nod:

Don't even get me started on how children should be trained at an early age to be righties. As someone who married a leftie, I can speak from experience that they tend to be bitter, brooding people who despise the majority, and spend their whole lives complaining about how everything in the world is made for right handed people. They would be so much happier if they were cured of this affliction while young. :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad