Post-Game Talk: Avs 6 - Jets 2, Avs lead series 2 -1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
All 3 are past their prime but we at least made some moves to try and bolster the lineup.
That just it though, Chevy's moves seem great at first glance but they really never work out. Never liked Monahan had hope for Toffoli and didn't understand the Miller move. The only move that I have liked that Chevy has done in the past few years was bringing Vladdy here even Nino is just another guy atm. PLD didn't work out and the guys from LA looked like we did well but as the season went on even that trade lost it's lustre.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
There is but one reason the Avalanche are running our show:

Their players are playing to the peak of their abilities, and ours are not.

It's all up to Bones now. Can he find the magic speech that is going to wake these guys up?

It's pretty much a repeat of last seasons playoffs. I think we can safely say that the theory that we fell apart last season was the loss of 55 and 44 is false.

I have zero faith these guys will figure it out.

It's a bitter disappointment. Time to remake this team and find a new coaching staff.

I'm all in for taking a step back to reload with some younger players. I know the org won't do it but this core just ain't it.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Alright, it is clear (especially in the post salary cap era), that playoff success is just as much mental as it is about skill/athletism . Forget hiring or replacing any other assistant coaches. What the Jets need is a team therapist, maybe more than one.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Tough loss--I knew I should've gone to bed after the second. At that point Helle was winning the game for us and we were starting to find our mojo.

10 minutes of penalties in the first 10 minutes of the third killed us, especially with our shitty PK vs their potent PP. Blame it on the refs if that makes you feel better, but bad (non-)calls happen to every team.

The Avs have a superstar forward, better special teams and better coaching. Their coach has exposed our D (aside from Morrissey) by putting pressure on them and we have not adjusted.
The Jets have Hellebyuck and a more balanced lineup, when used properly. Helle came close for 2 periods yesterday but was not able to be a difference-maker. Trouble is, I don't know how you sit a guy who is our only clear advantage.

Last edited:

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
For the record, Ehlers isn't the problem. Hellebuyck isn't the problem. This is a team-wide effect, exacerbated by coaching being unable to handle the speed and transition attack of the Avalanche. Bowness is being flat out outcoached by Bednar. It's that simple. Hopefully Bowness doesn't take his option, and retires with his wife to be with each other.

Oh, and please quit with the reffing and NHL conspiracies against us. We are better than that level of dross. Every team thinks the refs are out to get them.
The Jets were the best defensive team in the league. That is a sign of great coaching and player buy in (and great goaltending).

Once again the Jets have prove to be unable to elevate their game for the playoffs. The Avalanche have ratcheted it up a few levels.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
The Jets were the best defensive team in the league. That is a sign of great coaching and player buy in (and great goaltending).

Once again the Jets have prove to be unable to elevate their game for the playoffs. The Avalanche have ratcheted it up a few levels.
Exactly. We destroyed them in the regular season and now looks the other way around. Avs flicked the switch and we have not.

That being said we were in a position to win this and penalties changed that. We win tomorrow and it's a best of three with two games at home.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015

Offensively middle to below the pack, and special teams amongst the worst in the league speaks to terrible coaching. Being a top defensive team in the regular season speaks to great goaltending more than anything else. If it was great coaching it would also translate to the playoffs. Bones has won nothing in 50 years in the league, it was funny that the Jets thought that would change at the age of 70.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
For the record, Ehlers isn't the problem. Hellebuyck isn't the problem. This is a team-wide effect, exacerbated by coaching being unable to handle the speed and transition attack of the Avalanche. Bowness is being flat out outcoached by Bednar. It's that simple. Hopefully Bowness doesn't take his option, and retires with his wife to be with each other.

Oh, and please quit with the reffing and NHL conspiracies against us. We are better than that level of dross. Every team thinks the refs are out to get them.

may be a team effect, but ehlers has the biggest drop off from regular season to post season play from 17-18 onward.
helle is no where close to his regular season proficiency over the field in the POs either.

these are our 2 most effective regular season players, and have pulled us out of the dumps many times. they will be the ones who get the commented a lot.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Bigfish

Oct 12, 2016
On the bright side, at least the first round pick we gave up for Monahan will be a late first round pick. :help:Did Monahan even play last night?

Reactions: sipowicz
Nov 24, 2006
When the playoffs started, the Avs dialed everything up 20% (speed, tenancity, the whole give a f*** factor) and we have had no answer. Very much like Vegas last year.

I’m not expecting a win in the series anymore but damn, you have to put Brossoit and Perfetti in at this point and do some line changing. We’re surely not going to see Dillon again this year so it looks like Stanley is back in too.

How does a player like Ehlers essentially become invisible?

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
No mention of how poor Scheif was last night particularly with the egregious turnover at the offensive blueline that went the other way for a goal? What about how piss poor Villardi has been 5 on 5 and on the pp. No mention of the invisibility act that Nino and Toffoli have pulled this series? You always go after the same guys. Appleton wasn't great but he has been better than Nino and Toff.
Toffoli at least scored, don’t see Nino taking tripping penalties like AHL Apples

Jets lack of speed very apparent, Mono, Toffoli, slow Gus, Nino, Vilardi, Iaffalo and Vlad all too slow to keep up with the Avs

Last edited:

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
I can't wait to run this back next year with some nibbling around the edges.

This core will never win when it comes down to it. There not done miracles can happen but Vegas will destroy this team should one occur.

jungles

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
The problem was that Sheif got a punch to the head and that would have given us a 5 on 3… no call, Connor was tripped at time of Vilardi high stick… no call. Before that Names in on a 2 on 1 gets taken out before he even touches the puck… no call. Just to name the major ones.
I mean this sincerely. Given the quality of the Jets power play and penalty kill, would a couple more going the Jets way have even mattered?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
You can be past your prime and still contribute.

23 being brought in made sense aa long as expectations were tempered. He produced to end the season enough to justify. Don't think you can extend him to a long term deal like many were suggesting.

73 can score but brings zero else to the game. Jets pro scouting should have known that his game was beyond bad and that trade should never have been made. Will walk after the season, best to let some other team pay for that level of play,

Miller, deal made sense but they haven't even tried to give him a chance. Will sign somewhere else obviously.

It's also up to the coach to use pieces appropriately. Perfetti was a bigger reason for our success this year then those two and brings way more to the table then Toffoli and is forgotten by the coach.

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
To me those two late goals for the Avalanche in game 1 set the tone for the whole series. They turned what should have been a demoralizing loss for them into something that looked more like a fluke for the Jets. The whole thing is feeling like watching the Jets-Oilers in the 1980s when they’d always be losing 6-4 and 7-5. There is a lot to like about our team but the other side is undeniably just better.

It does feel a bit unfair to finish 4th in the entire league and have these guys as your first round opponents. When complaining about a first-round exit, just keep in mind how different things would have been if the Jets had been playing the Kings like the Oilers got to, or the equivalent of the Wild team that the Jets played in 2018.

On the other hand, they’re only 2-1 down!

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
I can't wait to run this back next year with some nibbling around the edges.

This core will never win when it comes down to it. There not done miracles can happen but Vegas will destroy this team should one occur.
I hate to admit it but you're right. This is basically the peak of the current core. I don't see it getting much better with this bunch. And the pattern is clearly established at this point... a competitive team prone to extreme swings, but that can nevertheless be expected to make the playoffs. And then fold like a cheap tent once they're there.

I think we all know Sunday is do or die for the Jets, there is no way in hell they are coming back from a 3-1 series deficit.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
Toffoli at least scored, don’t see Nino taking tripping penalties like AHL Apples

Jets lack of speed very apparent, Mono, Toffoli, Nino, Vilardi, Iaffalo and Vlad all too slow to keep up with the Avs
Toff's goal was pure fluke. One lucky play doesn't change game performance from putrid to good. Nino needs to show up on the game sheet at some point any way he can. At least Apples looks like he is trying.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
When the intensity turns up Scheifele fades... instead of taking the team on his back he gifts the Avs goal 4

Pionk's usage is just inexplicable...

Scheifele is just not the caliber of player any longer. He's a low end 1C with holes in his game at this point in his career. Expecting him to take over a series isn't realistic. They needed everyone playing to their peak to beat the Avs and we aren't getting close to it.

Still we are only down 2-1 and can win this thing if we can figure our shit out.

Toff's goal was pure fluke. One lucky play doesn't change game performance from putrid to good. Nino needs to show up on the game sheet at some point any way he can. At least Apples looks like he is trying.

Yup, the whole second line has been garbage but watch Bones use it as justification to run it back tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad