Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2018-19 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
That makes no sense to me. I could see some right handed people becoming left shots out of necessity because there aren't enough wrong-handed people in the world, but to have most of them become backwards shooters just seems so wrong. Ideally, right handed people would shoot right, even if they play LW or LD. :nod:

Don't even get me started on how children should be trained at an early age to be righties. As someone who married a leftie, I can speak from experience that they tend to be bitter, brooding people who despise the majority, and spend their whole lives complaining about how everything in the world is made for right handed people. They would be so much happier if they were cured of this affliction while young. :sarcasm:

Hey, you're preaching to the choir but that simply isn't how its done these days. Right from their very first day in minor hockey right handed kids are taught to shoot left and vice versa. The coaches are taught to do it that way.

Your spouse is entirely correct. Lefties are horribly discriminated against, even in our language. You probably know that Latin for 'right' is dexter, as in dexterous and 'left' is sinister, as in, well, sinister. Don't even get me started on scissors! :laugh: In this politically correct age it is not acceptable to call it an affliction. We were born this way. You are obligated to accept and support us. I'll let it pass this time because you used a :sarcasm:, but you probably owe your spouse an apology. :laugh:

boydkc

Aug 2, 2015
I'm a right handed right shot. Throw me in coach!
I'm an ambi-kicker in soccer and an ambi-pitcher in baseball too. Have issues catching fly balls with my left though.

Fun fact Ehlers is our only ambi-handed skater.
The Winnipeg jets broadcast centre is named after Matty Frost. Once he caught a baseball game with his oposite hand try to top that one... Matty left us far too soon but I will never forget him.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
The Winnipeg jets broadcast centre is named after Matty Frost. Once he caught a baseball game with his oposite hand try to top that one... Matty left us far too soon but I will never forget him.

That would be damn hard. I suck at catching with my opposite with a glove on.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Hey, you're preaching to the choir but that simply isn't how its done these days. Right from their very first day in minor hockey right handed kids are taught to shoot left and vice versa. The coaches are taught to do it that way.

Your spouse is entirely correct. Lefties are horribly discriminated against, even in our language. You probably know that Latin for 'right' is dexter, as in dexterous and 'left' is sinister, as in, well, sinister. Don't even get me started on scissors! :laugh: In this politically correct age it is not acceptable to call it an affliction. We were born this way. You are obligated to accept and support us. I'll let it pass this time because you used a :sarcasm:, but you probably owe your spouse an apology. :laugh:

My parents suspected that I was born a leftie because I used that hand for everything. Then I made the mistake of grabbing a radiator when I was a toddler and burned that hand badly enough that I switched to using my right hand and never went back. Fortunately I was so young I have no memory of that. So, anything I say about lefties is purely tongue in cheek. And my wife isn't really as I describe her. Fortunately, she doesn't read this forum. :phew:

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016

I'm right handed but naturally shoot leftie (hockey, baseball, golf). I don't think it's uncommon and I definitely don't think coaches are dictating what way their players shoot.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm right handed but naturally shoot leftie (hockey, baseball, golf). I don't think it's uncommon and I definitely don't think coaches are dictating what way their players shoot.

:laugh: You're the opposite of me. But we are both rare. The vast majority of people write, bat, throw, golf right handed. Not hockey. That is the way it is taught from the very beginning. Apparently, the theory is that the dominant hand should be on top. No idea why anybody thinks that's a good idea, but they do.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
:laugh: You're the opposite of me. But we are both rare. The vast majority of people write, bat, throw, golf right handed. Not hockey. That is the way it is taught from the very beginning. Apparently, the theory is that the dominant hand should be on top. No idea why anybody thinks that's a good idea, but they do.

Wow I looked it up. About 10% of golfers shoot left, but 70% of Nhlers shoot left :o

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

I heard someone once say it was because you can stick handle better with your dominant hand on top.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I heard someone once say it was because you can stick handle better with your dominant hand on top.

I assumed it was that - but I don't get it. I always played that way but it wasn't by plan. My dad din't like me being left handed so tried to start me on everything right handed. In spite of that though, my top hand is primarily just the anchor. Most of the work is done with the lower hand. Or at least that's how it seems to me. I haven't had a hockey stick in my hand for well over 30 years and I never used to think about this subject. Maybe if I tried it today I might find my top hand doing more work than I remember. :laugh:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Golfing is much more similar to batting (baseball) than hockey (stickhandling and shooting).

I've noticed that a lot of good hockey players tend to be pretty good golfers. I wonder, do LHS hockey players golf right, or left?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I've noticed that a lot of good hockey players tend to be pretty good golfers. I wonder, do LHS hockey players golf right, or left?
I'm right handed. I shoot left in hockey and bat and golf right. I'm better at hockey, but that's not saying much.

By the way, I shovel (snow etc.) and rake preferably with my right hand top, like hockey. I wonder if there's a correlation.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm right handed. I shoot left in hockey and bat and golf right. I'm better at hockey, but that's not saying much.

By the way, I shovel (snow etc.) and rake preferably with my right hand top, like hockey. I wonder if there's a correlation.

You shovel and rake right handed. I'm lefty and shovel and rake left hand on top. I've tried switching to even out the back strain - very awkward. Wonder if I might have managed to become a better golfer if I had started out lefty? :laugh:

Edit: Come to think of it, the only thing I did the 'right' way was hockey. Didn't seem to help much. :laugh:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
You shovel and rake right handed. I'm lefty and shovel and rake left hand on top. I've tried switching to even out the back strain - very awkward. Wonder if I might have managed to become a better golfer if I had started out lefty? :laugh:

Edit: Come to think of it, the only thing I did the 'right' way was hockey. Didn't seem to help much. :laugh:
The way I think about it, for hockey, shoveling, etc. the top hand controls the movements (stickhandling, etc.), while the lower hand functions more like a fulcrum, which is why it feels more comfortable for me to have my dominant (right) hand on top.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Would you trade Ehlers for a potential top 4 LHD? A shutdown d-man would give the Jets 45 minutes of good defensive battle.

Ehlers production can be replaced internally by Perreault, with Veselainen developing behind him.

I was thinking Ehlers for Ryan Murray and Josh Anderson.

Reactions: probablywrongbut

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Would you trade Ehlers for a potential top 4 LHD? A shutdown d-man would give the Jets 45 minutes of good defensive battle.

Ehlers production can be replaced internally by Perreault, with Veselainen developing behind him.

Perreault is good for 15 goals and half a season. Vesalainen is on the moose.

I'm very frustrated with Ehlers, but 30+30 if he can do that is something Jets will need.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Perreault is good for 15 goals and half a season. Vesalainen is on the moose.

I'm very frustrated with Ehlers, but 30+30 if he can do that is something Jets will need.

If you got 15 from Perreault, 15 from Anderson, that's 30 goals. Maybe kicks some fire into Laine. Adding a RH RW, makes Laine-Scheif-Wheeler more reasonable. Veselainen will be a better player with the AHL development. And you get a d-man to pair with Buff. I still think Maurice wants a top 10 defensive team, that wins by special teams.

Ehlers has familiarity with Bjorkstrand, and adds offense the Jackets are going to need if they lose Panarin, for nothing, or have to trade him at the deadline.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

Then again you need to consider what it took Edm and Hall is better than Ehlers so we'd get a worse D. Is that D much better than Niku?

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Then again you need to consider what it took Edm and Hall is better than Ehlers so we'd get a worse D. Is that D much better than Niku?

I think the Jets are developing Niku-Poolman as the 3rd pairing for next year. I like Ryan Murray. He's RFA though at the end of the year, which is tricky. I think Chevy trades a lot better than Chiarelli, not sure he is looking to trade anyone at this time. But I think LD is still too thin, going forward.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Murray would be a nice add but not at the cost of Ehlers.
Perreault or
Lemmy and a 2nd or 3rd?

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Why don't we shop Vesalainen for a centre? How are we ever going to squeeze in yet another winger into the lineup?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
If you got 15 from Perreault, 15 from Anderson, that's 30 goals. Maybe kicks some fire into Laine. Adding a RH RW, makes Laine-Scheif-Wheeler more reasonable. Veselainen will be a better player with the AHL development. And you get a d-man to pair with Buff. I still think Maurice wants a top 10 defensive team, that wins by special teams.

Ehlers has familiarity with Bjorkstrand, and adds offense the Jackets are going to need if they lose Panarin, for nothing, or have to trade him at the deadline.
Jets aren't trading Ehlers, nor should they. If it takes two players to produce what one player produced, you keep the one player. Ehlers is a top talent on a reasonable deal. Keep him.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Why don't we shop Vesalainen for a centre? How are we ever going to squeeze in yet another winger into the lineup?
Jets will probably need to replace Perreault with a younger / cheaper winger (as early as next season) due to cap constraints.

Reactions: GNP

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
The way I think about it, for hockey, shoveling, etc. the top hand controls the movements (stickhandling, etc.), while the lower hand functions more like a fulcrum, which is why it feels more comfortable for me to have my dominant (right) hand on top.

That's why shooting left in hockey is more common than right, because more people have a dominant right hand.

I'm all over the map. Shoot right, catch left, kick with my left in soccer.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Jets aren't trading Ehlers, nor should they. If it takes two players to produce what one player produced, you keep the one player. Ehlers is a top talent on a reasonable deal. Keep him.

Honestly, we are getting more production from Lowry, Tanev and Perreault, than we are from Ehlers. That's the Ehlers that got Stastny as a centre last year and still couldn't score in the playoffs. So it's potentially 30, but through 7 games, Anderson has 4 more goals and a +5 on his ledger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->