Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Oilers Have Kicked Tires on Some Veteran UFA Defencemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
If Holland doesn't want to pay Nuge 7 Million +, would you be in favour of a trade in season, rather than losing him for nothing to a team that will pay? And if so, what would that look like?

Could Nuge and Bear get you Laine?? At 23 yrs old signing Laine long term would be a lot less risky than RNH.

Or do we just sign Nuge after the expansion draft, so we don't have to protect him.

I think he'd have to trade Nuge if there isn't some type of agreement in place. It would hurt our playoff chances but we'd get back a 1st and some prospects.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I like it for Ottawa. Stepan at $2M is pretty good. They had a big hole at #2C unless a guy like Stutzle or Norris came flying out of the gate.

It'll be nice having some veteran two-way guys like Stepan and Tierney on the 2nd and 3rd line with all the youngsters Ottawa is going to have on the wing.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton

I find it odd they don’t agree on $$, doesn’t seem that hard of a contract to make up. Some comparable are Dermott this offseason accepting his QO, maybe a touch low but he has more experience than Bear. Deangelo was 925000 on a 1 year last year.

It seems like 1 year 900Kish deal makes way to much sense, reconvene in 6 months and hammer out more term if you want. Quick 56 game sample size to work off too.

Bear doesn’t have much leverage, Bouchard will be with the team anyways in the taxi squad, that is who he made the team over last year, and that was more a age thing, Bouchard would love to slot next to Nurse to start the year if, on the off chance, Bear isn’t in Edmonton right away. The last thing Bear would want would Bouchard having a good camp/start to the season without him

sportsfan944804

Aug 7, 2020
I mean, Bear is our far and away #1 RHD. Him and his agent know this. His value is relative to the Oilers as a team, not the leagues defencemen as a whole. Bear is probably our most valuable defenceman this season. He will get paid.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
I mean, Bear is our far and away #1 RHD. Him and his agent know this. His value is relative to the Oilers as a team, not the leagues defencemen as a whole. Bear is probably our most valuable defenceman this season. He will get paid.

Who’s the last defenseman to “get paid” with 89 NHL games of experience?

Not that he didn’t show well in 71 games last year, but no doubt in my mind that Holland, smartly, will want to see that play carried over to next season.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Yeah he will get paid... a reasonable bridge contract.

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria

I am fully on the Bear train but I disagree with the above completely.

Bear has less than a full season, he had ups and looked amazing and is tracking well. He also had some very real downs and until they are solved will remain concerns. He has less than a full season... He is important, but even at this point, replaceable and an RFA. As for the future, there is no reason to assume he is undoubtedlygoing to be that a #1D, though it is possible. He is in some heavy company with bouchard and Broberg tracking to have higher top end potential than bear right behind him in development.

He should be paid no more than 2 mill max on a year like this.

North

Jun 25, 2009
But his real cost, which is what Ottawa cares about is only $2M. He'll be their #1C so the cost is very cheap money wise. What surprised me a little was that the pick was a second.

I understand completely. It makes sense for them in many ways.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Who’s the last defenseman to “get paid” with 89 NHL games of experience?

Not that he didn’t show well in 71 games last year, but no doubt in my mind that Holland, smartly, will want to see that play carried over to next season.

Yeah I believe in Bear but there's no reason to overpay compared to market value, especially with the flat cap.

Reactions: Smartguy

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I think Bear is awesome and I hope he is able to come back stronger and more prepared for the large workload in front of him. As a rookie he came in and exceeded all expectations and shot into the top 4, let alone top pairing for a good chunk of the year. While he was great for us last year it was also clear that he was running out of steam by the time the season paused, and that wasn't even the full year. He was exposed in the four game set with Chicago and while I think he will continue the upward trend, it's never crazy to expect a sophomore slump because it's natural progression. Expectations are going to be even higher for him now this year, and I worry that if he does falter a bit the pitchforks and mudslinging will come out like it always does when things aren't 100% all the time. If he holds out for a more substantial amount of money it will even further magnify the contract and increase the pressure on the player. It's not Ethan Bear's job to carry the defense corps. He wasn't drafted at a position to expect that, and despite coming a long ways since then and showing good promise his sample size is still far too small to be touting him as a bonafide top 4/potential top pair guy. He still has to earn that in my opinion. One season doesn't prove anything, and I hesitate to be fully convinced after 2.

I think chasing that big payday partly helps drive young kids to keep pushing hard every year early in their careers to put in the effort everywhere all the time. I don't think he has any leverage to be jacking up the price until he shows he can do it for the full season at least.

tabs

Oct 30, 2009
I loved what I saw from Bear last season, but he has no leverage in a season where our cap is tight. Holland’s priority is to set the team up for overall success in both the short term and long term. Bear’s been given three options to choose from and the ball is in his court. Hopefully we hear his decision announced right away so that he doesn’t miss any days of training camp, because that often leads to a bad season. My assumption would be that the offers are something like 1x1, 1.5x2, and 2x3.

I also want to say that I love that Holland is setting a precedent going forward. He will not buckle to pressure from Puljujarvi, AA, and now Bear. This will pay dividends going forward with future negotiations by establishing his reputation with future agents so that they don’t try to take advantage the same way we saw happen with Chia.

Reactions: Klimando Kostani

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
I loved what I saw from Bear last season, but he has no leverage in a season where our cap is tight. Holland’s priority is to set the team up for overall success in both the short term and long term. Bear’s been given three options to choose from and the ball is in his court. Hopefully we hear his decision announced right away so that he doesn’t miss any days of training camp, because that often leads to a bad season. My assumption would be that the offers are something like 1x1, 1.5x2, and 2x3.

I also want to say that I love that Holland is setting a precedent going forward. He will not buckle to pressure from Puljujarvi, AA, and now Bear. This will pay dividends going forward with future negotiations by establishing his reputation with future agents so that they don’t try to take advantage the same way we saw happen with Chia.

If I was Bear I would bet on myself and just take the 1 year deal. He'll have arb. rights next year and more leverage especially if he has a good year. From a team perspective I don't like another 3 year deal for players coming out of their ELCs though because after that deal is done they can elect to go to arbitration, take the deal the arbitrator awards and then walk as a UFA after their 7th or 8th year with the team.

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
I also want to say that I love that Holland is setting a precedent going forward. He will not buckle to pressure from Puljujarvi, AA, and nowThis will pay dividends going forward with future negotiations by establishing his reputation with future agents so that they don’t try to take advantage the same way we saw happen with Chia.

Chia would have overpaid Bear and JP, signed one second tier goalie or Dman to first-tier money. Called it an offseason. Midseason trade Nuge for John Quenneville.

Reactions: Del Preston

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
I like it for Ottawa. Stepan at $2M is pretty good. They had a big hole at #2C unless a guy like Stutzle or Norris came flying out of the gate.

It'll be nice having some veteran two-way guys like Stepan and Tierney on the 2nd and 3rd line with all the youngsters Ottawa is going to have on the wing.
Depending on chemistry Ottawa is actually going to be decent. Dadonov is solid, Chabot is one of the best young D in the league, Gudbranson should bring some veteran help. Murray is a good add compared to last year. Galchenyuk is a wildcard, not sure if he’s playing wing or C there, likely wing. I like Brannstrom too

Their biggest problem is with how many new faces they have it’s going to be very tough to gain chemistry in a short camp and short season. Like Edmonton when they used to turn over the roster every year, they will spend half the season trying to find lines that work.

sportsfan944804

Aug 7, 2020
Holland got him right where he wants him, no leverage, flat cap, Bouchard in town to take his spot. Looks like Bear should sign cheap, just depends when he wants to now?

Do you seriously think this is a negotiation tactic? Nobody in their right mind would think Bouchard is coming in to take Bear's spot. He was our most relied upon defenceman last season playing the highest QoC minutes. Nobody is coming in to replace him. Him and his agent both know this and it's why he isn't signed yet.

Reactions: Delicious Pancakes
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad