Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Oilers Have Kicked Tires on Some Veteran UFA Defencemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
I think covid via the taxi squad is going to keep a fair number of veterans in the league that would otherwise be gone.

Teams need bodies for the taxi squad but with the AHL operating teams are also going to want their prospects playing.

It makes sense to sign Hutton and Hamonic so that Bouchard can play for the Condors.

I imagine it's not so much who Edmonton is interested in but where guys can see themselves having an opportunity to make the big club from the taxi squad.

Good news for guys like Athanasiou since there will be that additional opportunity without having to go back to the AHL.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
It's not hate but supply and demand.
There are atleast a dozen bottom 6 forwards better than Khairan without a contract. There would be others available via waivers as well.
Matt Martin for example would give us a lot more than Khaira.

Khaira had 7 hits total in that series vs CHI. Martin probably averaged 7 per game.

Kharia was solid in the playoffs and his line was really good. If we get the Kharia that played C late in the season I take that guy all day.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I think covid via the taxi squad is going to keep a fair number of veterans in the league that would otherwise be gone.

Teams need bodies for the taxi squad but with the AHL operating teams are also going to want their prospects playing.

It makes sense to sign Hutton and Hamonic so that Bouchard can play for the Condors.

I imagine it's not so much who Edmonton is interested in but where guys can see themselves having an opportunity to make the big club from the taxi squad.

Good news for guys like Athanasiou since there will be that additional opportunity without having to go back to the AHL.
Bring in both Hutton and Hamonic. I think that would be great

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
It's not THAT ridiculous actually that we end up with one of Hamilton or Hall. It wouldn't surprise me at all considering how good our cap situation will be next year (if we buy Neal out, which we almost assuredly will).

Agreed. I mean Barrie+Russell make more combined than Hamilton likely will, so depending on the Klefbom and Neal situations, it is quite a distinct possibility. Adding both is a dream scenario though.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Kharia was solid in the playoffs and his line was really good. If we get the Kharia that played C late in the season I take that guy all day.
Khaira was solid poop in playoffs.
His job was to be physical and punishing in the corners wearing down opponents. He got nothing going. Draisaitl initiated more physical play than him.

tabs

Oct 30, 2009
No he isn't. His 5vs5 is awful and counterbalances his so so PK ability. 100 percent sure he will be gone after this season anyway but hope they can trade hoim.
They don’t even need to trade him. He can be on the taxi squad for 125k cap hit.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Something that made me smirk a little on this late Christmas day. Matthew Tkachuks qualifying offer will be 9 million. More than Draisatl's money..
I knew about that but thought the league/players changed the qualifying offer rule when the CBA was extended in the summer. It was changed but doesn't affect existing contracts. $9M for Tkachuk is hilarious.

Timo Meier's QO in 2023 will be $10M because the Sharks backloaded the contract.

Last edited:

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
No he isn't. His 5vs5 is awful and counterbalances his so so PK ability. 100 percent sure he will be gone after this season anyway but hope they can trade hoim.
Our pk already lost Sheahan and Klefbom and is our only area we’re going into next season not as good on paper. You don’t weaken that by getting rid of your most effective pk forward on top of that. We need the pk bad this year. 5 on 5 isn’t everything. Special teams are so important.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
The Neal - Khaira - Chiasson line as a whole actually played pretty well.

They played at the level of a good fourth line.

Khaira is a mediocre 5 on 5 player who plays better on the PK. If he were making $900K I would be all for him staying on the team. AT $1.2M the Oilers can do better cheaper.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
From what the Media has said, Khaira was our best PKer, and not just on the team, but in the league too. He was very solid on the PK and helped us get a Top 5 PK team with our league best PP unit. He is too valuable to give up right now. And I think Tippett/Holland know that

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
They played at the level of a good fourth line.

Khaira is a mediocre 5 on 5 player who plays better on the PK. If he were making $900K I would be all for him staying on the team. AT $1.2M the Oilers can do better cheaper.

$300K is not that big of a deal. He’s a decent 4th line player that can contribute on the PK. Worth keeping around.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
From what the Media has said, Khaira was our best PKer, and not just on the team, but in the league too. He was very solid on the PK and helped us get a Top 5 PK team with our league best PP unit. He is too valuable to give up right now. And I think Tippett/Holland know that
Really ?

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
with Klefbom going onto LTIR all year, it shouldn’t be a problem

It's always a problem when you overpay a player. Especially a marginal player. There is nothing in Khaira's play that justifies him being on the team. If he outperforms Haas at camp so be it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad