Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Oilers Have Kicked Tires on Some Veteran UFA Defencemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Do you seriously think this is a negotiation tactic? Nobody in their right mind would think Bouchard is coming in to take Bear's spot. He was our most relied upon defenceman last season playing the highest QoC minutes. Nobody is coming in to replace him. Him and his agent both know this and it's why he isn't signed yet.

Bouchard does everything better then Bear at the same age, he will jump ahead if not this season, next season, hes just been always a better player.

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
Do you seriously think this is a negotiation tactic? Nobody in their right mind would think Bouchard is coming in to take Bear's spot. He was our most relied upon defenceman last season playing the highest QoC minutes. Nobody is coming in to replace him. Him and his agent both know this and it's why he isn't signed yet.

Harmonic and Vatanen are both out there. If Bear doesn't want to sign for a reasonable price, he could be left sitting like JP last year.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Why not give Bear $2.25M on a one year deal?

That still gives the team about $1.7M of cap room thanks to LTIR.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Barrie is here and Hamonic rumors are flying around.
Bear IMO deserves as much as Nurse but there just is no money left for that. He would have gotten 2.5 bridge deal or 4M+ long term deal if it wasn't for Covid. Little chance he gets 2M now.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Who’s the last defenseman to “get paid” with 89 NHL games of experience?

Not that he didn’t show well in 71 games last year, but no doubt in my mind that Holland, smartly, will want to see that play carried over to next season.
Nurse 3.2Mx2
Klefbom also got paid 4M long term.

It is very common for Dmen to get paid after ELC contract

Reactions: Aerchon

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
Nurse 3.2Mx2

And not surprisingly the GMs letting people "Get Paid" also couldn't seem to have the funds or shrewd bargaining abilities to sign anyone for market value, attract talent, or have the cash available to sign anyone into the roles we needed to fill.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Nurse 3.2Mx2

Yeah is Nurse at 3.2X2 not a bridge deal though? That’s not really getting paid. If it weren’t for the flat cap that’s definitely a similar deal to what Bear could have been looking at, slightly less though.
Klefbom at that point had 3 stints, 17, 60, and 30 games, in the NHL over 3 seasons, he signed that deal at the beginning of 16-17, something Bear will have after this season, like I said Holland would likely want to see one more deal out of.

Also both of those are top 20 picks, those types your are paying more for potential. Bear is a 5th round pick who just broke out this past year, year and a half, I think that’s not overly a good comparable IMO

tabs

Oct 30, 2009
Yeah is Nurse at 3.2X2 not a bridge deal though? That’s not really getting paid. If it weren’t for the flat cap that’s definitely a similar deal to what Bear could have been looking at, slightly less though.
Klefbom at that point had 3 stints, 17, 60, and 30 games, in the NHL over 3 seasons, he signed that deal at the beginning of 16-17, something Bear will have after this season, like I said Holland would likely want to see one more deal out of.

Also both of those are top 20 picks, those types your are paying more for potential. Bear is a 5th round pick who just broke out this past year, year and a half, I think that’s not overly a good comparable IMO
Also the fact that Bear took a step in the same year he finally took his conditioning seriously is another point to consider. Would be good to see another year or two of consistent professional behaviour regarding his conditioning before committing long term.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

Klef actually signed that deal in September of 2015. He had one year remaining on his elc at the time he signed.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I disagree. The issue here is hard cash. Arizona already paid Stepan 3 million bucks. That will demand a big concession in value.

Theres also not a big pool of teams who can absorb his cap hit

Uh...so a 2nd round pick is a disgusting overpay then?

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Bouchard does everything better then Bear at the same age, he will jump ahead if not this season, next season, hes just been always a better player.

While I agree with what you are saying I think Bears destiny is in his hands. He broke out last year. He plays that well or better, he is still developing too, Bouchard will be hard pressed to catch him soon and while unlikely possibly ever if Bear continues to progress like he has post draft.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

So what is a good comparable? P.Myers, Cernak?
I responded to the comment that no one gets paid and gave a couple Oilers examples. There is no way Bear would be getting 1.5Mx1 if there was no Covid/flat cap.

Nurse's post ELC bridge deal at 3.2M would have been a comparable. Shave off 500K for not being a high draft pick.

Marino will not be getting 1x1 deal next year just because of his draft stays.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Smart way of circumventing the cap. Surprised, and annoyed, that I never thought of this before :laugh:
PTOs expire after last game of training camp so cap is really not in play.

They will put someone on IR and sign him before game #1. He just gets to attend the camp and not miss any pre season games. If another team wants to give him 5M+ he can sign with them any time.

tabs

Oct 30, 2009

They will put someone on IR and sign him before game #1
The point I was trying to make was that this way Hoffman can get a full training camp in with the Blues to get into shape and build chemistry with his new team. A PTO allows him to attend camp, not signing anything until day 1 of the season wouldn’t allow that. They likely already have the contract agreed to. Only risk is Hoffman gets injured in those ten days of camp.

Reactions: Smartguy

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
The point I was trying to make was that this way Hoffman can get a full training camp in with the Blues to get into shape and build chemistry with his new team. A PTO allows him to attend camp, not signing anything until day 1 of the season wouldn’t allow that. They likely already have the contract agreed to. Only risk is Hoffman gets injured in those ten days of camp.
Yup.. there is risk involved for STL too. I remember Versteeg using up Oilers pre season and camp time only to sign with Flames at the end.

tabs

Oct 30, 2009
Yup.. there is risk involved for STL too. I remember Versteeg using up Oilers pre season and camp time only to sign with Flames at the end.
True. But this is a different situation. Versteeg was just looking for a contract and opportunity. Hoffman is guaranteed a spot somewhere but also wants to get paid. He clearly hasn’t gotten the offers he wants because no one has the cap room for it. Any team that could create the cap room with LTIR would have been an option and I’m sure his agent floated this PTO idea to all of them. Blues are the ones that can make it work. So yes, I’d argue that cap plays a huge role in this decision.

Reactions: Anarchism

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002

They will put someone on IR and sign him before game #1. He just gets to attend the camp and not miss any pre season games. If another team wants to give him 5M+ he can sign with them any time.
There’s pre-season games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad