Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Oilers Have Kicked Tires on Some Veteran UFA Defencemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
More than just one bad offensive season. Khaira has been inconsistent his entire career. His career arc has plateaued the last two seasons. The Oilers need more depth scoring. That ain't Khaira.

Haas brings a pretty comparable grittiness for $285K less plus more offensive potential. Getting rid of Khaira with Haas ready to take over would be effective cap management.
We have a pretty decent third line. Khaira would be 4th line lol with Haas

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Not super sure about the second year. He had some injury last year. Anybody know what it was and where he is at with it? I can only find "upper body" as a description.

If healthy, I like Hamonic as an option if the camp competition between Lennstrom/Bouchard/Berglund/Lagesson doesn't provide at least two credible options for 7D.
Didn't he get his face punched in during a fight? Went on IR for a bit and then opted out when play resumed

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Yes. Shipping out Khaira helps the Oilers improve in other areas.

You can do it cheaper. Khaira has more trade value than he does value to the team. Even if it is for getting some picks back in next year's draft.

Why?
What other areas lol? Our PK needs to be good this year especially with Klefbom out

Reactions: nabob

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Yes. Shipping out Khaira helps the Oilers improve in other areas.

You can do it cheaper. Khaira has more trade value than he does value to the team. Even if it is for getting some picks back in next year's draft.

Why?
I can tell you just plain hate Khaira so I won't say much more. Chiasson will be moving on (my prediction)

Reactions: McSuper

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I can tell you just plain hate Khaira so I won't say much more. Chiasson will be moving on (my prediction)
It's not hate but supply and demand.
There are atleast a dozen bottom 6 forwards better than Khairan without a contract. There would be others available via waivers as well.
Matt Martin for example would give us a lot more than Khaira.

Khaira had 7 hits total in that series vs CHI. Martin probably averaged 7 per game.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
There are atleast a dozen bottom 6 forwards better than Khairan without a contract. There would be others available via waivers as well.

Khaira had 7 hits total in that series vs CHI. Martin probably averaged 7 per game.
Matt Martin can't penalty kill though. I am just very worried about our PK.

Lastly, I'm East Indian as well so I'm rooting for him lol aka I am biased

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I think plan for Holland with a potential Hamonic signing is to bring him in this year, and keep him past next season as a defensive dman on the bottom pair. Likely means Larsson is as good as gone next summer.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Matt Martin can't penalty kill though. I am just very worried about our PK.

Lastly, I'm East Indian as well so I'm rooting for him lol aka I am biased
Im not east indian but very much have been rooting for Khaira ....but he needs to get his head on straight...he is not a scoring winger or center at the NHL level (unlike the A). He needs to focus on defensive side of the puck only.
But i suspect he wont be able to get his head around this. Will he last the year ...very doubtful cause as he is now his prowess on the PK will only keep him above water for so long. Other options/needs like a goaltender will outweigh his value. His inconsistency away from the puck during his assignments and inability to headman the puck out of the Dzone ...its too obvious.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
I think plan for Holland with a potential Hamonic signing is to bring him in this year, and keep him past next season as a defensive dman on the bottom pair. Likely means Larsson is as good as gone next summer.
Yes Hamonic is definitely partly insurance for Larsson's back. Holland will likely only keep Hamonic if Tippett and co. can change him--they probably can. Lets Hope Holland signs Hamonic and is successful here and Larsson's back holds up well enough to trade him for good value at the deadline or the draft.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Martin hits everything, but he has the chance to hit everything cause he never has the puck, and most of the time the player he hits doesn't even have the puck.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
I tweeted this out 9 days ago

to your usual flaming stations

from what I gather is the the problem with Hamonic and the Oilers is two fold. Hamonic wants a multi-year deal (the Oilers are offering 1--expansion draft protection is Russel already and they would rather keep Hamonic) the second is the Oilers are trying to move a FW out to free up money to sign Hamonic

a few things confuse me (shocking I know)

1) Progression of Bear talks? When do we get concerned about him not being signed
2) Oilers have 15 FWDS signed at this point. Are either Haas and Nygard back in Edmonton yet?
3) With the AHL season still up in the air--Do teams run with a Black aces team
4)Oilers have 7 D on loan to Europe. I realize not all will be back in NA for this season. The Oilers look to have a few NHL ready D men-led bt=y Bouchard--why are the oilers still looking to add another D? Is there another injury we do no know about?

Hmm, I honestly think the short/condensed season is going to take its toll on a lot of players. Injuries will be far more impactful. You can miss 20 games far more easily.
And that’s almost half the season.
Good NHLers will be taxi squadding because of all of this.

This iteration of the NHL doesn’t want a couple extra skaters. It demands at least one per position.
Trading a winger for him doesn’t. Unless it is a genuinely overpaid winger that we can somehow move.

I wonder if part of COVID’s Cap Effect will mean a compliance buyout before we’re back to 82 games a season.

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
We don’t need Hamonic We need a LD alternative for Jones if he does fill a top 4 roll.

spot

Aug 26, 2007
If you could sign Hamonic for say 1.5 -2 million and trade Larson for a 2nd (recoup a pick) then you could sign a Hoffman. strengthen your taxi squad with Chaison and Khaira. Lots of depth at all positions for a short intense season. Could have the cap flexibility to sign a jimmy Howard as well.

Hoffman McDavid Neal
Nuge Drai Yamamoto
Ennis Turris Pulju
Kassian Haas Archibald
Chaison Khaira Quine
Nygard Russel

Nurse Bear
Jones Barrie
Russel Hamonic
Lagesson Bouchard

koskinen
Smith
Howard
Forsberg

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
trade Larson for a 2nd (recoup a pick)
No team in the league will do that. Either they don't have the cap space or they aren't contenders and don't need a guy on a one year contract. Either way, any team knows that there are better ways to spend 4M right now.

spot

Aug 26, 2007
Maybe, they may also want to gamble on a still young former 4th overall pick in his last year. Wouldn’t hurt to float his name out there. Winnipeg for example might pay a prospect or a 3rd. Just trying to find ways to manage the cap.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Screen Shot 2020-12-25 at 6.36.55 PM.png

Next year boys ;)

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Seth Jones has 1 year left after this year. I'd look in to that, maybe see if CBJ would be willing to build a deal around Klef. Trade Larsson away if there aren't plans to re-sign him. Re-sign Barrie if possible.

Nurse - S. Jones
C. Jones - Bear
Lagesson/Broberg - Barrie/Bouchard

Seth Jones would be highly sought after. You would have to back up a Brinks truck into his yard

but

if Caleb gives him a glowing report of Edmonton, who knows. U get Seth Jones, our defence is set for 10 years

Reactions: ujju2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad