Prospect Info: Round 3 Pick 77 - Jakub Lauko

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
I have been one of the "less" excited users here regarding Lauko, but I have to admit he looked impressive in the game against Washington. Certainly exceeded my expectations. Didn't look out of place, played hard and tried to make plays. That little pass to Noebels for a breakaway was great, Washington defensemen played that terribly and Lauko made the best of it.

He reminds me of Pasta off the ice as a guy who is just excited to play hockey. Very easy to root for players like him.

I didn't find what you said to be overly critical and simply offered some insight with tempered expectations. He's a raw player with a lot to improve on but it's easy to see the skillset they liked in the player. I hope I'll get to watch him play some more!

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
From a development standpoint, the Q would be the worst option IMO. The kid has already played against Pros in the CZE Liiga. The AHL would be my first choice, only because it’s closer and they could keep an eye on him. Playing in the CZE Liiga would be second and the Q a very distant 3rd.

I’m CZE is won’t he get to play top 6 mins tho? Would he in Providence? I think a year over there and then a year in Providence is my preference.

Reactions: hamzarocks

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
did they? certainly around here with the Bruins fans I think it was pretty well agreed upon we all liked the pick

maybe other fan bases didn't but I felt like this was pretty universally liked

The knock on him was he was small and would probably end up as a Spooner/Czarnik in our system. I think the kid has enough moxy to prove them wrong.

Grasshopperking

Sponsor
Jun 5, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
The knock on him was he was small and would probably end up as a Spooner/Czarnik in our system. I think the kid has enough moxy to prove them wrong.

First of all, "a Spooner/Czarnik" type is a weird standard to create. Spooner was a legit 50pt player on this team. Czarnik is an AHL callup.

Secondly, if he turns out to be Spooner I'd be happy honestly. Speedy 50pt playmaker in the 3rd rnd? Yes please

Reactions: GloveSave1

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Doubt it. Can't rememeber one person not being happy with the pick.

Yes, Andersson was met with lets call it great skepticism by a number of people. I didn't see anyone who complained about the Lauko pick

I loved the pick, but honestly he has shown way more than I would have expected at this point.

It will be interesting to see where he ends up . I'm of the opinion that wherever he goes I want him playing a top 6 role (for me preferably C), whether that is in his Euro league, AHL, or maybe even CHL

Reactions: TCB and DKH

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Why did he fall?
He looks like a first rounder no doubt.

Don’t know? I did think off the top of my head at the time of the draft that a lot of teams took lower rated D in the 2nd round, which led to some F’s dropping? I think it speaks to how wide open this draft was and how opinions differed on players. The B’s supposedly had 1st round grades on Axel and Lauko?

Pronman said the knock on him was hockey sense. I read somewhere else that he can be inconsistent, but that’s true of a lot of 17/18 year old players.

The Red Line rating was high, but the majority of scouting services I saw had him in the 30’s/40’s.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I think you might be “misremembering”?

Red Line had Lauko rated as a 1st round pick (15 I think?). There were more people saying he was a great pick at 77 then there was laughing at you.
There was another scouting service I read had him in consideration end of first very early second and Bruins had him first round grade

Seems the Bruins Euro scouts who made the Pastrnak call nailed the two guys playing overseas Axel Andersson & Jacob Lauko.

I think in a few years Andersson going to be top 4 on a Cup caliber team

Skating
Demeanor
Decisions

All superb on display Sunday A + grade

I hated the pick when they made it in full disclosure

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Don’t know? I did think off the top of my head at the time of the draft that a lot of teams took lower rated D in the 2nd round, which led to some F’s dropping? I think it speaks to how wide open this draft was and how opinions differed on players. The B’s supposedly had 1st round grades on Axel and Lauko?

Pronman said the knock on him was hockey sense. I read somewhere else that he can be inconsistent, but that’s true of a lot of 17/18 year old players.

The Red Line rating was high, but the majority of scouting services I saw had him in the 30’s/40’s.
I think you got it mixed up

The knock on Lauko isn’t hockey sense it’s Pronman who lacks hockey sense

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
I think Lauko fell because scouts were divided over whether he is more like Paille or Grabner. Elite speed but a number of scouts think he has stone hands and doesn't pass to open guys (low hockey IQ) while others see him as the youngest player on his men's league Czech team who played limited minutes so didn't get to shine offensively.

I would like to see him in Providence so he can develop quicker but there are so many LWs down there (Fitzgerald, Cehlarik, maybe Bjork if not fully healed to start the season) that he's going to be pushed down the depth chart.

Reactions: GloveSave1

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Pronman is all about who plays close to him, seems to always be the leafs. There is an article on the main boards now about the top 50 forwards and top 50 dee that does not include Donato. They guy twice said he does not believe in him basically. Ridiculous how the Bruins are perceived all over the media. As my mother says "It gets my Irish up".

Last edited:

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
They've always hit one or two mid-late round picks out of the park for the past few years... Looks like we found this year's a bit early. :)

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I think Lauko fell because scouts were divided over whether he is more like Paille or Grabner. Elite speed but a number of scouts think he has stone hands and doesn't pass to open guys (low hockey IQ) while others see him as the youngest player on his men's league Czech team who played limited minutes so didn't get to shine offensively.

I would like to see him in Providence so he can develop quicker but there are so many LWs down there (Fitzgerald, Cehlarik, maybe Bjork if not fully healed to start the season) that he's going to be pushed down the depth chart.

I'd rather see how he does in the Czech league post draft year.

Playing vs men before your draft year isn't really a good way to raise your stock just not going to get the minutes at that age. I think taking a big jump in that league would make him ready to make the team at camp next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad