Prospect Info: Round 3 Pick 77 - Jakub Lauko

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Can you elaborate on this?

I just grabbed a random highly touted CZE prospect, Martin Necas, and there doesn’t seem to be a ton of difference in their numbers at the same age? I’m not comparing the two as players, but their progression through the different seems similar?

I’d have the same question because looking at the numbers for Lauko, he seems to produce very well against his own age groups. It’s when he’s playing men, they fall, but a lot of teenagers in Europe leagues have numbers like that (some exceptions, but they usually go first round).

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Lauko is one of the younger guys in the draft, with that March 2000 birth date. 1st rounder Martin Kaut, who outperformed Lauko by 7 points, is nearly 6 months older.

It might seem like a minor detail, but at that age, 6 months can make a big difference. He needs to add weight and strength...and, from the sounds of it, work on his complete game. No doubt, he will get a bit of a wake-up call at Dev camp and training camp. This is where the Bruins player development system shines. Just look at what it did for Donato, DeBrusk, Heinen and Bjork.

Reactions: Flannelman

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Can you elaborate on this?

I just grabbed a random highly touted CZE prospect, Martin Necas, and there doesn’t seem to be a ton of difference in their numbers at the same age? I’m not comparing the two as players, but their progression through the different seems similar?
I’d have the same question because looking at the numbers for Lauko, he seems to produce very well against his own age groups. It’s when he’s playing men, they fall, but a lot of teenagers in Europe leagues have numbers like that (some exceptions, but they usually go first round).
Lauko's Extraliga numbers were fine given he was playing bottom 6 for most of the year. Fact he spent the whole season in pro league indicates obvious potential, but when I want to assess the overall offensive talent I tend to look at how the prospect plays against his age group. Necas was an offensive dynamo whenever he was in the U18, Lauko was not. Lauko has always been the go-to guy in a relatively weak Czech U18 team, thus solid numbers. But considering how good skater and shooter he is, his junior numbers are a bit underwhelming to me. Similar to Kupari really.
Long story short, Lauko has good amount of skill with excellent skating. He suffers from inconsistency though and I question whether he is smart enough to be able to produce. If these concerns turn out to be false, I could see him becoming player in the mold of DeBrusk. Which would be awesome obviously, so fingers crossed.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Reactions: BruinsPortugal

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
Czech article:
Pastrňák mi hned gratuloval, vypráví Lauko. Do juniorky už nepůjde | Hokej.cz - web českého hokeje

1. Boston management doesn't want Lauko in the juniors, neither does Lauko himself.
2. In the next few days it will be decided whether he signs a contract with Bruins and goes to the AHL or stays in Chomutov, Extraliga.

Thank you for the info and I think it depends on a couple things.

1.Where would he play on Chomutov? Would he have a chance at a Top-6 center role?

2. If any young centers make the Bruins (JFK or Frederic) that would open up a more offensive role for Lauko in Providence.

Wherever gets him the most offensive minutes would be ideal IMO. Developing his offense seems to be key to his development.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
So some scouting reports have Lauko as a winger in the NHL. I really hope this kid can stick at center because I feel like we have a ton of LW in the system already.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
So some scouting reports have Lauko as a winger in the NHL. I really hope this kid can stick at center because I feel like we have a ton of LW in the system already.

So many scouting reports do that with players. If they were all correct, there wouldn't be any centers in the NHL :laugh:

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
So many scouting reports do that with players. If they were all correct, there wouldn't be any centers in the NHL :laugh:

Ya I'm kind of curious what others who have really followed him think. I feel like so many times when scouting reports see a guy is a goal scorer they immediately move them to wing.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I wonder if Boston isn't thrilled with the Junior team that holds his rights,would be a coup if he ends up in Providence

Could be too there are questions on how much he'd actually develop in the Q vs the AHL or overseas. I imagine the B's want him playing against tougher competition and I have to believe he'll get tougher competition in the AHL or overseas

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
Anyone heard anything about where Lauko will play for 2018-2019?
The last I heard was that it will depend on the Boston's training camp. Lauko will go there and if he impresses enough, he will get a contract and likely play in the AHL. If he doesn't get the contract, he is staying in Chomutov. I don't think there's a bad option, in both leagues he should get decent ice-time.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
The last I heard was that it will depend on the Boston's training camp. Lauko will go there and if he impresses enough, he will get a contract and likely play in the AHL. If he doesn't get the contract, he is staying in Chomutov. I don't think there's a bad option, in both leagues he should get decent ice-time.

He also has an CHL option as well correct? IIRC he was drafted by the Rouyn-Noranda Huskies, but being that he wasn't draft by Boston out of the CHL the typical eligibility rules don't apply.

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
He also has an CHL option as well correct? IIRC he was drafted by the Rouyn-Noranda Huskies, but being that he wasn't draft by Boston out of the CHL the typical eligibility rules don't apply.
Yes, he was drafted by Rouyn-Noranda, however that team has already both import slot filled. Now, they could make a room for him there or trade his rights to some other team, though I don't know why would he go from pro league to juniors in the first place, especially when he is likely to get solid ice-time in Chomutov. It's the AHL or Extraliga IMO.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Looked good today. Buzzing around non stop. Good energy

Sacco was impressed by the young forward's game.
"He played well," said Sacco. "He played hard, 18-year-old kid, didn't seem phased by anything out there really. Competed, obviously scoring the goal is a bonus, but just the way he played the game, the way he approached the game tonight. It was a good start for him.
"I mean you don't want to get ahead of yourself here, but certainly it was a good first game for him. I thought he showed a lot of composure for his first game. He seemed to be calm, played hard, didn't seem like he was nervous at all out there, so it was a good start for him."
The Czech-Republic-native is hoping his strong play will create an opportunity for him to stay on this side of the Atlantic this season.
"I'm trying," said Lauko of trying to play his way into a spot in North America. "I'm trying a lot. I'm trying to learn on the ice and off the ice. And I hope I can stay for next season - here or Providence. I want to stay in America."

highlight of goal today (clip on page as well post game interview)
Youngsters Lauko and Andersson Stand Out in 2-1 Win

Some other non Bruins games clips

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
I am getting that Pasta feeling with Lauko. Either he plays in the Quebec Junior league or Providence. No use sending him back home, let him play in North America. Kid just has the zest for the game like Pasta did at that age. Not saying he is the next one but I am high on his chances to make it in a few years.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
He doesn't want to play in the Q,for him it's either home or Providence .There's a few articles that came out after the draft and prospect camp stated this. Of course that could change tomorrow if he signs

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I am getting that Pasta feeling with Lauko. Either he plays in the Quebec Junior league or Providence. No use sending him back home, let him play in North America. Kid just has the zest for the game like Pasta did at that age. Not saying he is the next one but I am high on his chances to make it in a few years.

From a development standpoint, the Q would be the worst option IMO. The kid has already played against Pros in the CZE Liiga. The AHL would be my first choice, only because it’s closer and they could keep an eye on him. Playing in the CZE Liiga would be second and the Q a very distant 3rd.

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
I have been one of the "less" excited users here regarding Lauko, but I have to admit he looked impressive in the game against Washington. Certainly exceeded my expectations. Didn't look out of place, played hard and tried to make plays. That little pass to Noebels for a breakaway was great, Washington defensemen played that terribly and Lauko made the best of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad