Prospect Info: Round 3 Pick 77 - Jakub Lauko

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
oh good lord, just when I thought maybe, just maybe, we`ve all moved on from Barzal you toss this out:laugh:

I get Barzal had a terrific season, I get the B`s passed him over, me thinks moving on would do wonders for the sanity of many here

I've never been bitching about Barzal personally, and didn't mention it to bring him up and rile people up, that's just immediately what came to mind. Apologies!

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I've never been *****ing about Barzal personally, and didn't mention it to bring him up and rile people up, that's just immediately what came to mind. Apologies!

as you could see by the laughing emoji I wasn`t hammering you for the Barzal thing but that said......we are a few summers removed from that draft, personally I prefer to focus on what the B`s have

u owe me 0 apologies.

Reactions: TwineTickler

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Bruins pick Jakub Lauko not lacking in confidence - The Boston Globe

Lauko’s personality is bubbly and his game is plenty caffeinated. The latter, according to Bruins assistant general manager Scott Bradley, is one of the reasons the team had him pegged as a first-round pick. They were “ecstatic,” Bradley said, to get him in the third.

“Fast. Energy. Plays with a lot of character,” Bradley said. “Can really shoot the puck . . . Hopefully he turns some heads next week.”

“I expected to be higher,” said Lauko (6 feet, 179 pounds), a left-shot who can play center or wing. “But now I can prove to everyone that I am one of the biggest steals in the draft.”

According to analysts — including Lauko himself — he is one of the quickest players selected this weekend. He models his game after breakaway-happy Detroit forward Dylan Larkin. His wheels let Lauko, ranked as the 20th-best European skater by NHL Central Scouting and 45th among all prospects by TSN, hang with men for 42 games with Pirati Chomutov of the Czech pro league (3-6—9). Bradley said Lauko, who doesn’t have a contract for this fall, could rejoin Chomutov or play for a Canadian junior team, with goals of filling out and improving his puck distribution.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
His numbers in the men's league are a bit low but his numbers against age peers (U18, U20, Hlinka) compare favorably to Pastrnak. I have not seen him play and apparently he was the 4th line C for most of those peer tournaments so it's a different role than top line wing.

Here's Bradley's recap video which is interesting. I think they did have Andersson rated higher than Lauko but he came out and said they valued Lauko as a first round pick and he didn't call Andersson one but was surprised he was still available. So it appears the Bruins think they got two 1st round pick players in this draft. I suppose that is not too surprising when you hear people like Bob Mc. say something like 12-60 could go in any order.

It will be interesting to see or hear how he does at Dev Camp. I would think it a real possibility that he could play in the AHL this season. With Czarnik likely moving on and JFK/Frederic likely to be 3rd line C, the Bruins could opt not to qualify Cave and go with Lauko as 2nd or 3rd line C for the Providence Bruins.

Reactions: maxbme

Mirinho

Jan 23, 2007
His numbers in the men's league are a bit low but his numbers against age peers (U18, U20, Hlinka) compare favorably to Pastrnak. I have not seen him play and apparently he was the 4th line C for most of those peer tournaments so it's a different role than top line wing.

Lauko was playing in 1st line in almost all U18 tournaments (usualy he was the most experienced player, because he was usualy the only one who was regulary playing in men's league).
And in his home team Pirati Chomutov he was playing almost in all lines during season.

Maybe you all should know head coach of his team Pirati Chomutov is EX-Bruin Vladimir Ruzicka :laugh:
so he prepared him well for Bruins :nod:

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

Here's Bradley's recap video which is interesting. I think they did have Andersson rated higher than Lauko but he came out and said they valued Lauko as a first round pick and he didn't call Andersson one but was surprised he was still available. So it appears the Bruins think they got two 1st round pick players in this draft. I suppose that is not too surprising when you hear people like Bob Mc. say something like 12-60 could go in any order.

It will be interesting to see or hear how he does at Dev Camp. I would think it a real possibility that he could play in the AHL this season. With Czarnik likely moving on and JFK/Frederic likely to be 3rd line C, the Bruins could opt not to qualify Cave and go with Lauko as 2nd or 3rd line C for the Providence Bruins.

He's listed at 6'0'' 183 lbs.. Pastrnak, if I'm remembering correctly, was what 6'0''-6'1'', 165 lbs? If Lauko is in Providence next season, I'd be somewhat surprised. I'd say that AHL > Czech Pro League. He may be better off playing there for another season, getting actual minutes (hopefully producing as well). Then signing and coming over when he's around 20. It's nice to have the option of him coming to Providence this season, though. Especially if he has a good development camp. His rights are held by Rouyn-Noranda of the QMJHL, so that could also be an option. If he came over, you'd think he'd be a top line player for them.

Whatever the case may be, this player looks electric and seems to have some big upside. Excited to see him progress as a player.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Lauko was playing in 1st line in almost all U18 tournaments (usualy he was the most experienced player, because he was usualy the only one who was regulary playing in men's league).
And in his home team Pirati Chomutov he was playing almost in all lines during season.

Maybe you all should know head coach of his team Pirati Chomutov is EX-Bruin Vladimir Ruzicka :laugh:

So how would you compare him to someone like Martin Kaut, who went 16 to Colorado? Also, was looking at Lauko's stats, and it says in "relegation" he put up 3P/6GP. Is his team being moved to a lower division next season? Not familiar with any of that stuff.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site

Yes, but can he score goals from behind the net, like Rosie? :)

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA

Maybe you all should know head coach of his team Pirati Chomutov is EX-Bruin Vladimir Ruzicka :laugh: so he prepared him well for Bruins :nod:
As I mentioned, I had not seen him. I guess I misunderstood Last Word's Scouting Report when they said, 'Lauko was mainly given a fourth line role at this year’s IIHF World Juniors' and I thought they meant both WJCs and probably Hlinka too.
Jakub Lauko Scouting Report: 2018 NHL Draft #54 - Last Word on Hockey

Mirinho

Jan 23, 2007
So how would you compare him to someone like Martin Kaut, who went 16 to Colorado? Also, was looking at Lauko's stats, and it says in "relegation" he put up 3P/6GP. Is his team being moved to a lower division next season? Not familiar with any of that stuff.

No, his team stays in extraleague (the highest league in CZE) and yes he had 3 pts in 6 gp in play out (it's like play off, but among last 4 teams of the table - most important part of the season :laugh: )

Hard to say if he is like Kaut. Maybe young Hertl if I must pick one czech player. I always like how he's forchecking :laugh:

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

Mirinho

Jan 23, 2007

5 years ago Kuba (it's like Jakub) scored Granlund goal in one match :thumbu: which player can say " I scored like that in my career" :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: Pay Carl

bruins4thecup65

Jun 27, 2011
One can never have enough draft picks.

Hopefully we acquire more picks for next year as that draft is apparantly supposed to be stacked.

This draft I give the Bruins an A+++

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Like this kid the best out of our draft picks today and think he adds a lot to the center group.

His skating and two-way game easily translate to the modern NHL and he has enough offensive upside to hope he can turn into a middle six type of center.

I also believe in playing against men at a younger age speeds up the development of good players and should better prepare him for what he is going to see in the AHL and NHL going forward.

His attitude is also very telling about his character, I hope he keeps that hunger to prove people wrong.

Same here.

I loved his interview. Seemed genuinely happy about being drafted by the Bruins. Confident in his abilities without coming across as too cocky.

Lauko turned 18 at the end of March, so that means he played 90% of this season as a 17 year old against men in the CZE League. If the stats I saw were correct, Lauko started off the year before (16/17) as a 16 year old in the U18 league and tore it up (11g/9a and a whopping 51 PIM’s in only 14 games). They moved him to the U20 and he had 4g/3a in 10 games. He then played 28 games in the CZE League with 2 goals.

So, basically as a HS Junior he was too good for their U18, still really good in the U20 and capable of playing against men in a pro league when all was said and done. Like a lot of the good Euro prospects, his totals against men were low, but if you look at his age appropriate games, he was dominant.

It’s funny that he didn’t mention Pasta in his interview regarding his favorite Bruins (Krejci) because he reminds me so much of 88 in personality and exuberance. Although, 6/7 years ago, Krejci would make sense as the guy he would probably idolize, as Pasta is only a few years older than he is.

Last edited:

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Red Line had him 15 over all - Game breaking speed and just loves to score

Number 7 as most underrated - Don't get it; his speed and sniping ability should make him an easy top 15 pick,but we dont think he'll go in the first.
The second best pure skater in the Draft - World class skater with dynamic speed, acceleration, perfect balance, east-west agility, and top end separation speed.

In their two mock drafts they had him going 15 and 31 overall.

Jakub Lauko -
Has world class speed and is a constant threat to jump on any loose puck in the neutral zone and end up on a break away. Uses his great speed to win ton of races for loose pucks, and to put defensemen under severe pressure on the forecheck. He's a threat to score every shift and likes to shoot the puck from all angles.
Great variety and imagination in his game. Quick step on tips and deflections. Highly skilled puck-handler with great hands and slick moves 1 on 1. Dynamic player wheels out from the corner into the slot and snaps off dangerous shots in heavy traffic. Excels on the pk where his speed alone puts the opposition off balance. His vision and anticipation are also major strengths. Does need to put upper body strength on his frame to help him on 1 on 1 battles.

Projection: Blazing fast scoring winger
Comparison: Mike Cammalleri

It'll be fun to follow his progress, Sounds like he could be a big time steal:thumbu:

spylogic3

Sep 1, 2006
In this video:

Jakub said at around 1:15 that he is excited to meet up with his good friend on the Bruins ... I didn't quite catch who he was talking about.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Not the Czech I wanted, considering where we got him it's amazing value though. I had him as an early 2nd rounder with chance to sneak into the 1st. I would prefer to keep him in the Czech Republic for at least one more year, I believe he will get decent ice time. There are legit concerns regarding his offensive potential though. Also, despite having a hard shot I think it's not that accurate.
Either way good pick, can't complain really.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Not the Czech I wanted, considering where we got him it's amazing value though. I had him as an early 2nd rounder with chance to sneak into the 1st. I would prefer to keep him in the Czech Republic for at least one more year, I believe he will get decent ice time. There are legit concerns regarding his offensive potential though. Also, despite having a hard shot I think it's not that accurate.
Either way good pick, can't complain really.

Can you elaborate on this?

I just grabbed a random highly touted CZE prospect, Martin Necas, and there doesn’t seem to be a ton of difference in their numbers at the same age? I’m not comparing the two as players, but their progression through the different seems similar?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad