Provorov - what's wrong?

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I was going to write something and then I realized my post from December is still on the last page. It's selective memory, but people have to have their reason to explain his struggles.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Is it worse than I was in favor of giving him 8 x $8m after the 17-18 season which I wrongly assumed would basically be his baseline, or is it worse that Provorov still thinks he deserves that much money after his craptacular 18-19 season. :help:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I honestly think it is a combo of bad luck and being vs maybe the toughest comp in the league, and the team around him not playing as well as last year... and then trying to force things as a result.

His PDO is 5% less than last year, 96.43%... which would be one of the 30 worst PDO's for any regular Dman over a season since they started recording it... which is like 1600 seasons worth of Dmen data.

PDO is effectively luck, especially once either side of 99-101.

17-18: 49.54% CF, 50.45% ExGF, 2.85 GvA/60
18-19: 48.62% CF, 48.93% ExGF, 2.39 GvA/60

His underlying stats are only marginally worse this year despite heavier usage, and he is giving the puck away less than last year surprisingly...

but:

17-18: .923 on ice sv%
18-19: .889 on ice sv%

Resulting in:

17-18: 54.62% GF
18-19: 40% GF

Now he is not playing as well as last year, but I don't think he is playing as poorly as the results. Simply this year every time he has made a mistake it has ended up in his net.

Still the best post in this thread.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
From October, this isn’t too bad either....

What's wrong is Provonov's expectations. Even if he plays well again, there's no law that says he must get rewarded with good on-ice results and points. He's previously ran a little high with the numbers the other way. I've said this before when talking about his next contract: if Ghost or Sanheim can have rotten luck with goals/points, so can Provonov any given year. I'm not saying 6 games is that year, but maybe this is the year; and it hasn't been unearned so far. He plays on a bad PP2 unit as well (complicity being a thing), which can exacerbate a funk.

There were people linear projecting his goals inching closer to 20, despite the PP and an outlier of non-5v5/PP goals last year, and his points creeping to 50+. People counting his Norris Trophies already, setting the bar for his contract at 8 years x $8-9 million. The best young defenseman since Doughty. I will still bet he finishes with 6-10 goals and 28-35 points, but those have always been in his realistic projections. And if he does that, even playing better 2-way, I guarantee some will act disappointed.

source.gif

Reactions: VladDrag

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I am a genius, so there. :sarcasm:

Provorov should be off the PP, saving him a minute a night, but that's about it, guy's in great physical condition.
He should NOT be paired with Ghost, league caught up with them, Niskanen for now, maybe York down the road.

Provorov's biggest issue is to play within himself, he's not as offensively skilled with the puck as Ghost or Sanheim, but he's the best defenseman without the puck (i.e. his sense of when to attack the O-zone combined with his wrist shot and physicality - he'll attack the net like a PF). So don't try to do too much, trust your instincts and pick your spots.

On defense, less is more, don't get cute, just get it out of the D-zone, and it would also help if the forwards are there for an outlet pass (AV won't tolerate the lack of discipline displayed under Gordon).

Niskanen will help him a lot, because a reliable veteran will allow him to gamble at times but take the pressure off to do everything.

Reactions: AnimalFear

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
I am a genius, so there. :sarcasm:

Provorov should be off the PP, saving him a minute a night, but that's about it, guy's in great physical condition.
He should NOT be paired with Ghost, league caught up with them, Niskanen for now, maybe York down the road.

Provorov's biggest issue is to play within himself, he's not as offensively skilled with the puck as Ghost or Sanheim, but he's the best defenseman without the puck (i.e. his sense of when to attack the O-zone combined with his wrist shot and physicality - he'll attack the net like a PF). So don't try to do too much, trust your instincts and pick your spots.

On defense, less is more, don't get cute, just get it out of the D-zone, and it would also help if the forwards are there for an outlet pass (AV won't tolerate the lack of discipline displayed under Gordon).

Niskanen will help him a lot, because a reliable veteran will allow him to gamble at times but take the pressure off to do everything.
Best post in the thread.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Zero PP time
Less PK time ( we have options now )
Pair him with Nisky, and I expect a bounce back to 2 years ago.

Reactions: bauer

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
His problem was coaching and probably being in his own head a little bit. I still think he deserves a shot on the PP some more, but I understand why not, especially because of how many offensive weapons we have on the blue line now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad