Provorov - what's wrong?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Not to make an excuse for Pronovov's rough start to the season, but has the WFC ice been particularly bad? I was harping on one GDT about the Flyers not being able to make simple passes and someone else said they thought the ice looked choppy.

I like that Provovon looks like his usual self when he takes the puck around his net and separates from a tailing opponent, but the puck isn't coming off his stick with authority.
I’ve been complaining about that too.

It seems like the ice has been awful in most of the games so far (home and away). You see players on both teams whiffing constantly on routine passes/shots and the puck is bouncing around like crazy.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I drafted Provorov, JVR and Konecny in my pool that only looks at Points... I only have two points between them!! Hopefully Provorov picks it up soon!!

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
I think the biggest reason for his struggles is that he doesn't have Andrew MacDonald anymore to do all the heavy lifting for him...

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Literally rust.

M6YsJH7.jpg

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I agree that the ice at WFC has looked particularly bad, but it’s the same for both teams.

Freddy The Fog

Don't live in the fast lane. Live on the off ramp
Aug 3, 2005
Seriously..... surely he is playing hurt? Will we find out only after the season ends?

Yesterday’s turnover. That would not have happened last year. And it has nothing to do with ice.

No concerns long term if he’s playing hurt. But if he’s not....

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I honestly think it is a combo of bad luck and being vs maybe the toughest comp in the league, and the team around him not playing as well as last year... and then trying to force things as a result.

His PDO is 5% less than last year, 96.43%... which would be one of the 30 worst PDO's for any regular Dman over a season since they started recording it... which is like 1600 seasons worth of Dmen data.

PDO is effectively luck, especially once either side of 99-101.

17-18: 49.54% CF, 50.45% ExGF, 2.85 GvA/60
18-19: 48.62% CF, 48.93% ExGF, 2.39 GvA/60

His underlying stats are only marginally worse this year despite heavier usage, and he is giving the puck away less than last year surprisingly...

but:

17-18: .923 on ice sv%
18-19: .889 on ice sv%

Resulting in:

17-18: 54.62% GF
18-19: 40% GF

Now he is not playing as well as last year, but I don't think he is playing as poorly as the results. Simply this year every time he has made a mistake it has ended up in his net.

Last edited:

nuclear reactor

Apr 5, 2010
More bad luck. Oy. And to think this team could have Rantanen and Heiskanen instead of Provorov and Patrick. Yikes.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Lol. I’m very happy with Provorov.

Hindsight is 20/20. As fans we let 2-3 month period judge a player all too often. He’s 21.... a key cog on the defense for a long time. If we didn’t draft him we would be looking for exactly the same player now.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Part of it has to be physical because he is not angling guys off into the boards like years past. He seems to lack the strength to do it the year.

And for sure part of it is mental. He is making way more mistakes than years past that have nothing to do with anything physical.

Hopefully this little break helps him reset a bit plus we have a week long break in January. I know he is currently playing with the modern day Mark Howe in Sanheim....so I read....but really he has not meshed well with anyone the year.

Being a contract year, I wonder if he and his agent bet on himself and try and do a bridge deal knowing that he has had a bad year. If he wants long term, he is going to be cheaper than expected I would think. Time will tell.

Adding a reliable vet the past few years instead of AMac was a big miss by Hextall.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
He's always been a bit overrated by the fanbase. But he has been a poor first pairing defenseman this season.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I wouldn’t say he is overrated. There are some who really go over the top but most know he is a first pairing defenseman but of the different sort. He will primarily get his time as a pk/even strength guy and mos tlikely will put up 35-40 points per year.

He is still so young the kid has potential to grow and be an excellent player. Give him time. We already utilize what he brings to to table so there is no point in talking about he was the wrong pick or we should trade him. Build around him not without him.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I wouldn’t say he is overrated. There are some who really go over the top but most know he is a first pairing defenseman but of the different sort. He will primarily get his time as a pk/even strength guy and mos tlikely will put up 35-40 points per year.

He is still so young the kid has potential to grow and be an excellent player. Give him time. We already utilize what he brings to to table so there is no point in talking about he was the wrong pick or we should trade him. Build around him not without him.

A lot of Flyers fans acted like Provorov is a Norris candidate. Honestly, he shouldn't even be a #1 on a good team. So, yes, I think he's been overrated. Even last season he turned the puck over a lot -- people seem to ignore his mistakes, however.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
More bad luck. Oy. And to think this team could have Rantanen and Heiskanen instead of Provorov and Patrick. Yikes.

Awful take.

Patrick is 20.

Provorov is 21.

The Jets were criticized for the Scheifele pick until he broke out at 22 years old.

Most 21 year old dmen are not in the NHL yet.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
Would prefer him to be in contention for the Norris, but if this season knocks his cap hit down a bit long term, it could be a silver lining.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
A lot of Flyers fans acted like Provorov is a Norris candidate. Honestly, he shouldn't even be a #1 on a good team. So, yes, I think he's been overrated. Even last season he turned the puck over a lot -- people seem to ignore his mistakes, however.
The first couple of seasons Giroux wasn’t really that productive but you could see the potential. It’s the same with Provorov. The biggest problem is this team didn’t provide him with a decent vet to lean on during his first few years while he learns. Either he’s been paired with a fellow rookie in their learning curve or MacDonald. That’s a ton of pressure on the kid.

Is he a future Norris? Maybe maybe not. Maybe he only tops out as aRyan Suter type which is still pretty good.

Reactions: DaphneLion

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
A lot of Flyers fans acted like Provorov is a Norris candidate. Honestly, he shouldn't even be a #1 on a good team. So, yes, I think he's been overrated.
nothing uncommon about this at all
good young studly defensmen are overrated in their youth by every fanbase that has one
he may be a Norris contender one day, he might fall into that rung just below, etc.
as far as things to worry about with this team, he's way down the list

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
nothing uncommon about this at all
good young studly defensmen are overrated in their youth by every fanbase that has one
he may be a Norris contender one day, he might fall into that rung just below, etc.
as far as things to worry about with this team, he's way down the list
In the long-term, yes he's way down the list. But in the here-and-now, having him play this way as the team's #1 is a significant problem.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
In the long-term, yes he's way down the list. But in the here-and-now, having him play this way as the team's #1 is a significant problem.
The significant problem is trying to salvage the season. I couldn’t care less about this season but more concerned with setting up next year for success. If his struggles get management to pursue a top defenseman then great because it has been a glaring need for some time now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad