Provorov - what's wrong?

Freddy The Fog

Don't live in the fast lane. Live on the off ramp
Aug 3, 2005
Does anyone have any real info?

Is he fighting injury? Out of shape? Trying to do too much? Sophomore jinx (I know. Year three)? Overworked by Hexcrack? Minus 5 - 0 G, 0 A (but I know it's a very small sample size).

Not going to be concerned until game 15 but not seeing any meaningful change in play.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I would guess it is just his first real funk since his rookie year... happens to every player, but just magnified because it is the start of the year.

Most of the problems are being caused by puck-handling. His skating is same as ever, defensive positioning pretty fine, just keeps mishandling pucks, turning them over etc. Might partially be a bit of knocked confidence.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
I would guess it is just his first real funk since his rookie year... happens to every player, but just magnified because it is the start of the year.

Most of the problems are being caused by puck-handling. His skating is same as ever, defensive positioning pretty fine, just keeps mishandling pucks, turning them over etc. Might partially be a bit of knocked confidence.

Agreed. So many times the puck is just drifting off his stick for no reason. It's a little concerning because he's far too skilled to making those types of mistakes. It's almost as if he's thinking too much about reading the play developing and is letting his motor skills go into sleep mode

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Hes getting pressed alot more in the dzone by forecheckers now that he is turned into a good pro. Barkov owned him last night but size dont matter. A little player wouldnt have owned him on the boards like Barkov.

Last edited:

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia

i would say his acceleration is at an all time low, and it was already low to begin with.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Provorov has been awful. Doesn’t look anywhere near his former self.

He’s making even more bad plays & turnovers than ever before, without any of the positives.

Definitely is struggling with his skating & a step slower than last year. He can’t escape forecheckers anymore. And he looks physically weaker in battles, too.

At first I thought maybe he added too much bulk in the offseason, but now I think he probably injured himself during his insane summer training. Perhaps an abdominal/core injury. His weakness in skating & physicality in general are reminiscent of what we’ve seen in players with such injuries.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Hes getting pressed alot more in the dzone by forecheckers now that he is turned into a good pro. Barkov owned him last night but size dont matter. A little player wouldnt have owned him on the boards like Barkov.
AH yeah that's how the game is suppose to be played , pressure pressure pressure pin your ears back and attack and finish your checks . The next time you pressure they will get rid of the puck early cause they think they are going to get hit and that's where you create turnovers from . You know , exciting hockey .
He will learn to roll with the puck maintaining control of the puck while under pressure buying time to allow him make a proper pass. either that or making small chips of the puck to areas that are safe and where he will get puck support from his own players . Smart D men learn this others can't figure this out they panic i'm thinking he's the smart kind . No worries just a rough stretch .

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Provonov is in a funk; he'll snap out of it eventually because he's a great young player. It's not worth getting dramatic over. Hopefully, he snaps out of it sooner rather than later, so he doesn't drag Ghost down with him and get the pair split (which long-term is bad). One thing Hakstol has done well since that pair, against all Hakstokian Logic, came together: he's willingly endured bad goal differentials at times, placing his trust in the big picture and their talent. He's had chances to split them.

What's wrong is Provonov's expectations. Even if he plays well again, there's no law that says he must get rewarded with good on-ice results and points. He's previously ran a little high with the numbers the other way. I've said this before when talking about his next contract: if Ghost or Sanheim can have rotten luck with goals/points, so can Provonov any given year. I'm not saying 6 games is that year, but maybe this is the year; and it hasn't been unearned so far. He plays on a bad PP2 unit as well (complicity being a thing), which can exacerbate a funk.

There were people linear projecting his goals inching closer to 20, despite the PP and an outlier of non-5v5/PP goals last year, and his points creeping to 50+. People counting his Norris Trophies already, setting the bar for his contract at 8 years x $8-9 million. The best young defenseman since Doughty. I will still bet he finishes with 6-10 goals and 28-35 points, but those have always been in his realistic projections. And if he does that, even playing better 2-way, I guarantee some will act disappointed.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
cBMXZUw.jpg

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Provorov has been awful. Doesn’t look anywhere near his former self.

He’s making even more bad plays & turnovers than ever before, without any of the positives.

Definitely is struggling with his skating & a step slower than last year. He can’t escape forecheckers anymore. And he looks physically weaker in battles, too.

At first I thought maybe he added too much bulk in the offseason, but now I think he probably injured himself during his insane summer training. Perhaps an abdominal/core injury. His weakness in skating & physicality in general are reminiscent of what we’ve seen in players with such injuries.
Yep he is way off. Could sit him really.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Provonov is in a funk; he'll snap out of it eventually because he's a great young player. It's not worth getting dramatic over. Hopefully, he snaps out of it sooner rather than later, so he doesn't drag Ghost down with him and get the pair split (which long-term is bad). One thing Hakstol has done well since that pair, against all Hakstokian Logic, came together: he's willingly endured bad goal differentials at times, placing his trust in the big picture and their talent. He's had chances to split them.

What's wrong is Provonov's expectations. Even if he plays well again, there's no law that says he must get rewarded with good on-ice results and points. He's previously ran a little high with the numbers the other way. I've said this before when talking about his next contract: if Ghost or Sanheim can have rotten luck with goals/points, so can Provonov any given year. I'm not saying 6 games is that year, but maybe this is the year; and it hasn't been unearned so far. He plays on a bad PP2 unit as well (complicity being a thing), which can exacerbate a funk.

There were people linear projecting his goals inching closer to 20, despite the PP and an outlier of non-5v5/PP goals last year, and his points creeping to 50+. People counting his Norris Trophies already, setting the bar for his contract at 8 years x $8-9 million. The best young defenseman since Doughty. I will still bet he finishes with 6-10 goals and 28-35 points, but those have always been in his realistic projections. And if he does that, even playing better 2-way, I guarantee some will act disappointed.
I would still give him 7.5 mil. He'll be fine but say it for what it is and he has been bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad