Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap: Summer League Extravaganza

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
I always thought that relying on save % was very incomplete.

Look at Brodeur for example. The Devils would give up less than 20 shots on average. Their system, which Brodeur's ability to play the puck in the corners/behind the net was a huge part of, prevented the other teams from having the puck in their zone and kept everything on the perimeter. He was the best in the league at the time, yet, his save % looked pedestrian.

Luongo, on the other hand, was playing on a shitty Florida team who was bleeding shots. His save % was super high. He was a great goalie, but not better than Brodeur (as we saw in international competitions).

Boston's keepers always have high save %. I would not say that they all are world beaters. I'd argue that Boston give up a lot of perimeter shots and collapse around the net to prevent second chance opportunities. That was particularly true when Chara was in his prime. He was clearly every loose puck around his goalie.

Once again, context is king.

Penguins are a team that plays a game that leads to high-danger chances. Our goalie will never lead the league in save %, even if we had prime Hasek between the pipes.
If you compare his stats with the average at the time, his SV% was good. Not great, but good.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
In a normal cap growth perhaps. But a flat cap and Murray could command something around 6 million and Jarry would be costly as a combo. But my point was GMJR can only protect one and Murray has pedigree to attract trade partners. We could see a cap the next 3 years not moving so no way 9 million is doable here.

if he really wants to keep Murray another year, I wouldn’t be surprised if Murray would agree to a reasonable one year deal to take him to UFA next summer...I could see both him and Jarry re-signed for $7.5 mil combined ($5 mil Murray and $2.5 Jarry) ...they’re not losing MM to Seattle if he’s a FA next summer....they can pay that amount, even $8 mil, on goaltending if they simply LTIR or trade Bjugstad...not saying they should or will do that but a lot of players will be taking one year deals this year much cheaper than they’d like because of the Covid and cap situation...

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Going with my goalie scenario above:
  1. Trade Murray to Detroit for a 2020 2nd, 2021 3rd, and Bowey's rights.
  2. Trade Detroit's 2021 3rd to Carolina for James Reimer.
  3. Trade Bowey's rights and Jack Johnson (with $650k retained/20%) to Winnipeg for Winnipeg's 2021 3rd.
  4. Buyout Bjugstad.
  5. Sign Dylan DeMelo for 2 or 3 years.
  6. Re-sign all RFAs.
Notes on the above:
  1. Perhaps Detroit acquires one of the many other goalies that are available.
  2. This Carolina trade is assuming they sign Lehner or acquire another goalie. DeSmith would then be the goalie exposed in the expansion draft.
  3. Winnipeg's defense looks quite bare after this season and trading JJ and Bowey gives them greater depth.
  4. I don't think the Pens will buy anyone out...
  5. DeMelo would anchor the bottom pair and would also be the defense exposed in the expansion draft.
  6. Signing all RFAs and doing the above gives the Pens around $3.5m in cap space.

Can't help but think Winnipeg would rather just resign DeMelo than get Bowey and JJ :laugh: I think we'd have to bid big to get him. I think Winnipeg would probably want a bribe to do that.

Also... if you've got 3.5m left after basically filling out the roster, why just not keep Bjugstad on it rather than buying him out?

JR disagrees with you...here’s another comment today in Friedman’s 31 Thoughts:

More obvious situations to watch: . Penguins GM Jim Rutherford on Murray: “He started slow, but he was coming on the second half. You can always find ways to move money around … at a different position and keep both goalies. I don’t think it needs to boil down to people automatically thinking that Matt Murray’s the guy who needs to leave Pittsburgh.”

While I'd point out Rutherford's long history of saying he doesn't have to do things he's totally going to do, he does also have a history of hoarding insane depth and refusing to trade players if he doesn't get his drink. And there are ways and means of getting the cap needed to do this, particularly if he can somehow move Bjugstad and JJ without taking much back.

Reactions: Andy99

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
JR on the goalie situation:

18. More obvious situations to watch: Matt Murray and Tristan Jarry, Pittsburgh. Penguins GM Jim Rutherford on Murray: “He started slow, but he was coming on the second half. You can always find ways to move money around … at a different position and keep both goalies. I don’t think it needs to boil down to people automatically thinking that Matt Murray’s the guy who needs to leave Pittsburgh

Could just be posturing, but I'm betting he's serious. I still think keeping both goalies is the most likely scenario for next year.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Can't help but think Winnipeg would rather just resign DeMelo than get Bowey and JJ :laugh: I think we'd have to bid big to get him. I think Winnipeg would probably want a bribe to do that.

Also... if you've got 3.5m left after basically filling out the roster, why just not keep Bjugstad on it rather than buying him out?

My assumption is that DeMelo wants to leave Winnipeg. And I don't care much for Bjugstad, that's why. :laugh:

As I said, I don't think the Pens would use a buyout on someone. But perhaps they send Bjug to another team in order to buy out or LTIR or perhaps actually be on the roster.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
My assumption is that DeMelo wants to leave Winnipeg. And I don't care much for Bjugstad, that's why. :laugh:

As I said, I don't think the Pens would use a buyout on someone. But perhaps they send Bjug to another team in order to buy out or LTIR or perhaps actually be on the roster.

Apparently he wants to stay, but who knows - the big point is Winnipeg will make an offer, and so will other teams. Top bid for him could be pretty ugly.

And even if you don't like Bjugstad, avoiding 1.7m cap penalty next year is pretty darn valuable.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Apparently he wants to stay, but who knows - the big point is Winnipeg will make an offer, and so will other teams. Top bid for him could be pretty ugly.

And even if you don't like Bjugstad, avoiding 1.7m cap penalty next year is pretty darn valuable.

Did not know that about DeMelo.

Anyway, apparently Matt Vensel doesn't like people thinking about the future:

Randy Butternubs
11:14
Hello Matthew. With the Pens cap situation next year and GM JR's recent comments about keeping both goalies, who do you think the player(s) to be traded will be in order to be cap compliant? To me, I think it's obvious and would be Bjugstad and/or Jack Johnson. Do you see it otherwise?

Matt Vensel
11:18
Randy, love it that the Pens are about to play hockey again after 4 1/2 months off and the playoffs start Saturday and folks are preoccupied with Jack Johnson's contract. Anyway, I'll bite. Yeah, the Penguins will have to trim salary if they want to commit to a goalie long-term and resign RFAs such as Jared McCann. And, yes, Jack Johnson and Nick Bjugstad are two not-small salaries that would make sense to unload. But someone has to be willing to take either of them. Given the financial landscape and a lack of cap space leaguewide, finding a trade partner could prove difficult if the Penguins don't want to throw in picks or prospects to sweeten a deal.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Did not know that about DeMelo.

Anyway, apparently Matt Vensel doesn't like people thinking about the future:

I mean that's something I read here once and I'm not 100% on and players change their minds anyway so pinch of salt, but worth mentioning.

And man, what a snide little kid answer. Who the hell is he anyway?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Letang, Marino, Ruhwedel. DeMelo is a younger JJ. Why trade one to replace him with another?

Letang and Marino aren't options to replace 3RD on account of being 1RD and 2RD respectively, Ruhwedel is better suited as a spare dman and wouldn't be a serious contender to a quality player.

Which, statistically at least, DeMelo was. He was a solid top 4D this season with decent puck moving results. If he's JJ in disguise it's an incredibly effective one.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Wait, DeMelo is signed through next season. What are you guys even talking about?

And him playing in the top 4 in Winnipeg is more a reflection on how desperate Winnipeg was for D-men, and less on his abilities.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Wait, DeMelo is signed through next season. What are you guys even talking about?

And him playing in the top 4 in Winnipeg is more a reflection on how desperate Winnipeg was for D-men, and less on his abilities.

Isn't signed through next season on CF - Winnipeg Jets - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

And if he makes it work - which he did - I don't care why he was in the top 4. Just that he did it.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
JR on the goalie situation:

Could just be posturing, but I'm betting he's serious. I still think keeping both goalies is the most likely scenario for next year.

JR doesn't typically bullshit or play media games. I'd take that to the bank that he is cool with finding a way to keep both.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
JR doesn't typically bullshit or play media games. I'd take that to the bank that he is cool with finding a way to keep both.

The same Jim Rutherford that was talking about how he didn't have to trade Kessel if he didn't want to and was thinking about entering the season with him? That one?

Reactions: Andy99

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
The same Jim Rutherford that was talking about how he didn't have to trade Kessel if he didn't want to and was thinking about entering the season with him? That one?

He would have kept Phil and entered the season with him if he didn't trade him. That's not some sort of hot take. If Phil didn't want to waive (like he did with Minnesota), JR would have had to enter the season with him. Not real earth shattering. It is routinely talked about around trade deadline days by guys like Bob McKenzie that JR is one of the straightest shooters in the league. I'm sure there is some gamesmanship though.

And aren't there still two stories between JR and Kessel. JR said Kessel asked for a trade numerous times, but Kessel denies it? That was never resolved.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
My first choice is still to trade Murray, since he's a guy that I think can bring back a solid return and Jarry's a fine starter. But, if keeping Murray forces one or both of JJ and Bjugs to be dealt, I can definitely deal with that.

As for McCann, I still have faith that he'll have a Rust-like emergence, though it may not happen for a couple years. He just turned 24. I also like him on the wing more than at center. It basically comes down to whether or not you think he's worth the investment in potential. Even as a big McCann fan, I'm not too sure. Though I do think moving on from him weakens an already iffy 3rd line.

Reactions: KIRK
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln