Status
Not open for further replies.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Last few posts:

I think trading Bjugstad and Johnson would be extremely difficult with a flat cap and a lot of teams being near the cap.

I also don't think they'll want to trade a goalie, it's more likely that they try to find a way to keep both.

I think this lacks a little nuance. If Murray gets greedy and is chasing the most he can get in FA, there's a point at which we have to stop, right? Particularly if Jarry still looks competent. Jarry could probably be locked up for 3 years at 3m at this point. If he looks like a standard NHL goalie who mostly lives and dies by the defence in front of himself and doesn't crap himself under pressure, how much better does Murray have to be worth keeping if he's at 8m or so? That's a big enough difference that you've got to run with an inferior something somewhere after all.

That was one of the three names that I figured might come up. I don't entirely disagree but at the same time, our PP has a tendency to look like a ton of chewed bubblegum when he's not there and he's a guy who's usually got solid results on the third line if memory serves, which isn't always that common. Losing him would hurt - according to The Athletic's GSVA model that they showed in our pre-season preview, more than losing Murray would - and we don't have an internal replacement for that PP role. Now, sure, he's probably on a downhill slope at some point, but...

I think Murray is flat out gone. But I do think you are right trading Bjustad and Johnson is gonna be next to impossible after this. So if they need to create space I could see them burying Bjustad in the AHL because you’d only have to take his partial cap hit for one year. Easy to swallow. I have no living idea what to do or what I think GMJR will do with JJ... I just hope he has a card up his sleeve with that one. Can’t really buy him out, I mean you can... But why? Saves you almost nothing. Bury him sure but then you have that dead space for 4 years. I have no clue with JJ. But I could just see JR waive Bjustad and take the dead space for a year to make some wiggle room.

Saying Hornqvist is a third liner is like saying Sheary is a 1st liner. Just because they play there, doesn't indicate what their actual worth is. Hornqvist on the 3rd line is because of stupid reasons, most of which disappear once the Playoffs start, not because of his actual talent level. $5.3MM per for him is a steal.

Not really. Hornqvist is used as a back-up top 6 forward. I fully realize Hornqvist's value, but the fact is that he's not regularly used in the top 6 on this team.

I like Hornqvist, even at 5.3 mil per, but he's not worth more than Murray if he shows he's definitively a better goalie than Jarry. And at that price, he makes for the most natural option to move if we've exhausted our other cap-shedding options.

Definitively better. If Murray's only marginally better, then you go with the far cheaper goalie.

That's going on their present values, not the condition of my scenario, where Murray would have definitively shown himself to be the better player.

Guentzel would likely make a fine internal replacement for Hornqvist. He doesn't do everything Hornqvist does, but he's a great net-front option and does other things there that Hornqvist can't.

I'd rather have both obviously, but if that's not possible, I'd make due with Guentzel if the alternative meant giving up the substantially better goaltending option.

Hornqvist not being used in the top 6 doesn't negate the fact that he is a top 6 forward.

Some players just don't fit so neatly into categories. Hornqvist is one of those players, IMO.

I personally think his "true" top six days are mostly behind him. But that's a pretty nebulous assertion and the guy keeps posting up 20 goal seasons so whatever.

I'm not sure JR won't protect any of them over Hornqvist. Now, he might protect him. But, in 18 months, with 2 more years at 5.3M. Strikes me, at least potentially, as a different proposition.

I have a tough time concretely saying Murray will be gone when I have so little assurance that Jarry can be a consistent starter for the Penguins going forward. Picking Jarry over Murray because of 1 season has huge potential to backfire disastrously.

I don't think it's concrete by a long shot, but this one cuts both ways no matter how the postseason plays out.

A. If Murray has a bad postseason, then is he gone for a fresh start or staying because he's affordable?

B. If Murray kills it, then is he here because he's earned it or does he get priced out to the point that you take the ransom you can get after a great postseason?

C. If he falls in between (plays well but not great but there are other more prevalent issues why the Pens fall), are the Pens better off keeping him and running a 1A/1B with Jarry or getting assets for him and finding someone to split with Jarry?

My own GUESS is that he's gone in either scenario A or B. C is the scenario where he's least likely to go.

And, just a pure gut feeling, I think he's far more likely than not to be gone.

But, yeah, in any scenario, nothing is concrete.

Continue

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
SdQoaRh.png

Reactions: KIRK

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Few idle thoughts on clearing cap...

- If a team wants a middle 6 guy who can play C and don't want to pay anything much other than cap (but are happy to pay that), then Bjugstad's main rivals in free agency are Haula, Soderberg, and Eakin. And whoever other cap teams have to clear of course. But if you're say, Buffalo, hoping Cozens is ready to be a middle 6 centre but wanting an insurance policy who can play wing if you're wrong, and you don't have enough assets to buy all the NHLers you need and you don't want to tie yourself up with FA contracts that rob you of your freedom, then maybe Bjugstad at a bargain price is attractive. Depends on how likely teams think it is he'll be fit next season.

- Looking at all the cap clearing moves made last summer - and I know that situation wasn't quite as bad as this one, but it was still not great - the only time a team had to pay to take a player away was Marleau, and that's because he was getting brought out. Value might have been lost in some moves but no major assets were lost, not even for guys like Clarkson and Callahan

- A lot of the cap clearing moves brought cap back. Tampa got back Condon for Callahan, we got Chucky back for Phil, Ceci for Zaitsev and Brown, Anisimov for Smith, etc.etc.

Also re the goalie stuff - I get what @Soggy Biscuit is talking about and I think the scenario can work in our favour, but I think there's a lot of moving parts involved in coming to the end of 2020-21's season and thinking "Man, I'm glad we delayed the Murray-Jarry decision and have no major regrets at all" - not least the risk of more regression and inconsistency. After the past few years, is anyone totally confident with the idea that one good season from Murray next year would mean that he'd never lay another egg like this season again? Or that two good seasons from Jarry is proof against him suddenly turning into a pumpkin?

In any case, I still think that - while nothing's set in stone - Rutherford's going to move a goalie and that it's probably Murray. It's what everyone one step closer to the team is predicting and it makes sense as the simplest way out of a mildly tight scenario that also lets him bank a little towards his next trade shopping spree. Not that simplicity means much with Rutherford, but there we go. I also think it's probably the right call, although I appreciate I've now cursed whoever's our starting goalie next year.

Randy's so mean because he's a nun? That does make sense now you say it...

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Few idle thoughts on clearing cap...

- If a team wants a middle 6 guy who can play C and don't want to pay anything much other than cap (but are happy to pay that), then Bjugstad's main rivals in free agency are Haula, Soderberg, and Eakin. And whoever other cap teams have to clear of course. But if you're say, Buffalo, hoping Cozens is ready to be a middle 6 centre but wanting an insurance policy who can play wing if you're wrong, and you don't have enough assets to buy all the NHLers you need and you don't want to tie yourself up with FA contracts that rob you of your freedom, then maybe Bjugstad at a bargain price is attractive. Depends on how likely teams think it is he'll be fit next season.

- Looking at all the cap clearing moves made last summer - and I know that situation wasn't quite as bad as this one, but it was still not great - the only time a team had to pay to take a player away was Marleau, and that's because he was getting brought out. Value might have been lost in some moves but no major assets were lost, not even for guys like Clarkson and Callahan

- A lot of the cap clearing moves brought cap back. Tampa got back Condon for Callahan, we got Chucky back for Phil, Ceci for Zaitsev and Brown, Anisimov for Smith, etc.etc.

Also re the goalie stuff - I get what @Soggy Biscuit is talking about and I think the scenario can work in our favour, but I think there's a lot of moving parts involved in coming to the end of 2020-21's season and thinking "Man, I'm glad we delayed the Murray-Jarry decision and have no major regrets at all" - not least the risk of more regression and inconsistency. After the past few years, is anyone totally confident with the idea that one good season from Murray next year would mean that he'd never lay another egg like this season again? Or that two good seasons from Jarry is proof against him suddenly turning into a pumpkin?

In any case, I still think that - while nothing's set in stone - Rutherford's going to move a goalie and that it's probably Murray. It's what everyone one step closer to the team is predicting and it makes sense as the simplest way out of a mildly tight scenario that also lets him bank a little towards his next trade shopping spree. Not that simplicity means much with Rutherford, but there we go. I also think it's probably the right call, although I appreciate I've now cursed whoever's our starting goalie next year.

Randy's so mean because he's a nun? That does make sense now you say it...
Toronto is going to have some prime players they will need to unload this off season, and they are going to be going for cheap. Clarkson and Horton are both coming off the books and they will need to clear $10.55MM to get cap compliant before the next season begins.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Toronto is going to have some prime players they will need to unload this off season, and they are going to be going for cheap. Clarkson and Horton are both coming off the books and they will need to clear $10.55MM to get cap compliant before the next season begins.

Dunno man. Looking at Capfriendly and they've got 16 guys signed for next season and 4.5m left with which to fill out the roster, with only one RFA due a pay raise. They can probably fill out the roster at the cost of only one of Kapanen or Johnsson. If they let go of multiple guys, I'm guessing it'll be to get comparable quality in elsewhere.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Dunno man. Looking at Capfriendly and they've got 16 guys signed for next season and 4.5m left with which to fill out the roster, with only one RFA due a pay raise. They can probably fill out the roster at the cost of only one of Kapanen or Johnsson. If they let go of multiple guys, I'm guessing it'll be to get comparable quality in elsewhere.
This is the lineup a Toronto fan put together for their lineup next season.

upload_2020-7-2_12-47-40-png.352144

That is 2 NHL lines and a whole bunch of AHL+rookie players.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Not to mention they have Bracco and Robertson who could easily fill Johnsson’s hole.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I have the Pens salary cap at $82.6m (aka $1.1m too high). This is with DeSmith traded, Johnson & Bjugstad still on the team, all RFAs signed, and all UFAs let go. McCann and Rodrigues were signed to one year deals. And Murray-Jarry were signed for $7.2m total.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I have the Pens salary cap at $82.6m (aka $1.1m too high). This is with DeSmith traded, Johnson & Bjugstad still on the team, all RFAs signed, and all UFAs let go. McCann and Rodrigues were signed to one year deals. And Murray-Jarry were signed for $7.2m total.

What numbers did you give for McCann, Rodrigues and Riikola? That looks very similar to what I did and I managed to get the Penguins cap compliant.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
What numbers did you give for McCann, Rodrigues and Riikola? That looks very similar to what I did and I managed to get the Penguins cap compliant.

McCann = $2.75m
ERod = $1.5m
Riikola = $850k

My scenario would work if Simon was on LTIR to open the season, but then the Pens wouldn't have a full roster.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh

Not to nitpick, but I think it will take more than $7.2 to sign both Murray and Jarry. I think trading Murray is the most logical route.

Reactions: Andy99

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Unlikely that we could pull this off, but let’s say we are able to free ourselves of Murray, JJ, and Bjugstad contract obligations this offseason, what is the move? Save the cap space or do we think JR will immediately spend that in free agency?

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Unlikely that we could pull this off, but let’s say we are able to free ourselves of Murray, JJ, and Bjugstad contract obligations this offseason, what is the move? Save the cap space or do we think JR will immediately spend that in free agency?

I think JR would go big name hunting, but would hope he'd save the cap space.

Any big name UFA signing will likely come with a NMC, which'll have to be protected in the Seattle Expansion draft. Names I could see him going after are:

1. Hall
  2. Krug
  3. Hoffman
  4. Dadonov
  5. C Tanev
  6. Justin Schultz (please no)

Perhaps C Tanev just wants to get paid like his brother. And maybe he would be okay with the possibility of going to Seattle after playing just one season with his brother. Meaning perhaps he'd not ask for a NMC.

Last edited:
Reactions: That1Kid

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
McCann = $2.75m
ERod = $1.5m
Riikola = $850k

My scenario would work if Simon was on LTIR to open the season, but then the Pens wouldn't have a full roster.

Okay, that explains why the numbers I had were off. I didn't re-sign either Rodrigues or Riikola and instead had Lafferty and Trotman in their place. With that, the lineup becomes cap compliant.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Okay, that explains why the numbers I had were off. I didn't re-sign either Rodrigues or Riikola and instead had Lafferty and Trotman in their place. With that, the lineup becomes cap compliant.

salca.PNG

Keep in mind this isn't what I want. It's just what I see with holding on to JJ&Bjug, re-signing the RFAs, and letting the UFAs go. Oh yeah, I also traded DeSmith.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
I think JR would go big name hunting, but would hope he'd safe the cap space.

Any big name UFA signing will likely come with a NMC, which'll have to be protected in the Seattle Expansion draft. Names I could see him going after are:

1. Hall
  2. Krug
  3. Hoffman
  4. Dadonov
  5. C Tanev
  6. Justin Schultz (please no)

Perhaps C Tanev just wants to get paid like his brother. And maybe he would be okay with the possibility of going to Seattle after playing just one season with his brother. Meaning perhaps he'd not ask for a NMC.

I’d cool with the top 4 guys. Particularly would love to see Hoffman to stir up Jagr Jersey retirement controversy!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad