Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap: Summer League Extravaganza

Status
Not open for further replies.

TKalltheTime

KILLER PARTIES, ALMOST KILLED ME!
Jan 5, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
Guys, MM doesn’t follow the Penguins on Instagram, we wall know he isn’t coming back next year!!1! MM wants out!1!! Read all about it on SportsballPittsburghblogspotinsiderleaks.biz/geocities its right under the article about how amazing Lafferty is!!

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
If he falters though, why do you want him back? My take would be if he doesn't bring the right level this playoffs, then something about being here or his ability has altered to the point that we're not getting doubles winner Murray back, and I see no reason not to move on. Two not-good regular seasons and three not-good post-seasons would be too much for me to keep the faith.

Murray was good in 2017-18 in the playoffs. He was average last year. I dunno. I think he’s an NHL starter that wins games despite getting shelled sometimes.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I haven't seen that game winning Murray in a long time, though

He usually isn't LOSING you games which is good

But that is the bare minimum for a goalie you want to consider a longterm starter

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
My thing with re-signing Murray mostly comes down to cost and what he'd bring back in a trade. If Murray is bad in the playoffs, you can likely get him on a 1 year deal and run with a Murray-Jarry tandem next year. If Murray is amazing in the playoffs, he'll probably price himself out of Pittsburgh and I'd trade him. Anywhere in the middle depends on what he's asking for.

The perfect situation is that Murray is good to great in the playoffs, is willing to sign a reasonable long-term deal ($6-$7 million AAV), the Penguins trade Jarry at the draft and Murray is a consistent .915 save% goalie going forward.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
My thing with re-signing Murray mostly comes down to cost and what he'd bring back in a trade. If Murray is bad in the playoffs, you can likely get him on a 1 year deal and run with a Murray-Jarry tandem next year. If Murray is amazing in the playoffs, he'll probably price himself out of Pittsburgh and I'd trade him. Anywhere in the middle depends on what he's asking for.

The perfect situation is that Murray is good to great in the playoffs, is willing to sign a reasonable long-term deal ($6-$7 million AAV), the Penguins trade Jarry at the draft and Murray is a consistent .915 save% goalie going forward.
No way in hell would Murray accept a 1 year deal. He would go straight to arbitration then.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
No way in hell would Murray accept a 1 year deal. He would go straight to arbitration then.

And arbitration would award him a 1 year deal at probably around the same as what the Penguins would be offering, maybe less. Arbitration only goes up to 2 years, and I don't see why Murray would want a 2 year award after putting up a season below a .900 save%.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

He can't get more than a 1 year deal in arbitration anyway. If the team only want a 1 year deal, his choice is accept it, sit out, or hope for an offer sheet.

I don't think its inconceivable that Murray thinks his best option is to put off signing his big contract for a year, giving him a chance to post better numbers and also go straight to UFA.

And arbitration would award him a 1 year deal at probably around the same as what the Penguins would be offering, maybe less. Arbitration only goes up to 2 years, and I don't see why Murray would want a 2 year award after putting up a season below a .900 save%.

Players who are in their final year Restricted Free Agency are only entitled to a 1 year term - just double-checked that on CF - so only 1 year for him.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
with how close the 2 goalies are playing, and in today's nhl. i think jarry's stick handling of the puck becomes even more valuable.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Would also point out that if Murray's thinking one year to free agency, he's maybe better asking for a move to a team where he's the starter (although Bobrovsky is a good example of the dangers there)

Murray was good in 2017-18 in the playoffs. He was average last year. I dunno. I think he’s an NHL starter that wins games despite getting shelled sometimes.

I haven't seen that game winning Murray in a long time, though

He usually isn't LOSING you games which is good

But that is the bare minimum for a goalie you want to consider a longterm starter

I think pixies is overegging those playoffs (average at most for either), I think EightyOne is underplaying his second half of 18-19.

Either way, I think I believe in Murray as an NHL starter talent wise, but I'm not sure if I believe in consistency (which is just as important) and I think the wins become of what's in front of him. In short, he's becoming MAF.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
If someone offer sheets Murray, do you take it? Baseline compensation would likely be a 1st and a 3rd, and if a team is real dumb we may get a 2nd on top of that. I think that's fine, especially if the team isn't in the bottom 1/3 of the draft order.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If someone offer sheets Murray, do you take it? Baseline compensation would likely be a 1st and a 3rd, and if a team is real dumb we may get a 2nd on top of that. I think that's fine, especially if the team isn't in the bottom 1/3 of the draft order.

Yes, you definitely let Murray go on an offer-sheet if you get one.

But if Murray is at risk of getting an offer-sheet, I think he likely gets traded at the draft for what his offer-sheet return would be and a little more. Same situation with Dougie Hamilton a few years ago.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Yes, you definitely let Murray go on an offer-sheet if you get one.

But if Murray is at risk of getting an offer-sheet, I think he likely gets traded at the draft for what his offer-sheet return would be and a little more. Same situation with Dougie Hamilton a few years ago.
yeah, if you are a team that likes him why take a chance on multiple offers.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Would also point out that if Murray's thinking one year to free agency, he's maybe better asking for a move to a team where he's the starter (although Bobrovsky is a good example of the dangers there)

I think pixies is overegging those playoffs (average at most for either), I think EightyOne is underplaying his second half of 18-19.

Either way, I think I believe in Murray as an NHL starter talent wise, but I'm not sure if I believe in consistency (which is just as important) and I think the wins become of what's in front of him. In short, he's becoming MAF.
Imagine thinking a .908 SV% is good, and .906 SV% is average.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

As with everything, it depends on the playoffs.

Who gives a shit about 1st round picks when you have Sam Lafferty on your roster!

zsFrWLe.gif

Reactions: EightyOne

Blazenumb1

Jan 26, 2019
I’ve lost all my patience for Murray. I won’t lose sleep if he goes, but we need a starter. Are they going to sign someone?

Who is going to be a free agent this off-season that they could afford? I agree on Murray, seemed like he only played well when Flower was there to push him.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Go look at the save % for recent goalies who get to the SCF...You’re goalie better be playing at .920% or higher in the POs....it’s very rare to have your team outplaying the opposing team with an average goalie save %...

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Go look at the save % for recent goalies who get to the SCF...You’re goalie better be playing at .920% or higher in the POs....it’s very rare to have your team outplaying the opposing team with an average goalie save %...

But that is inherent. Teams in 14 games or so are going to have a higher SV% because they are winning games.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

DatGuy

Sep 25, 2015
Who is going to be a free agent this off-season that they could afford? I agree on Murray, seemed like he only played well when Flower was there to push him.
Robin Lenher....he is a good goalie. Buffalo tried to destroy him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00