Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap: Summer League Extravaganza

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Robin Lenher....he is a good goalie. Buffalo tried to destroy him.

I wouldn't mind him in a Pens uniform, but think he'd be looking to sign somewhere that has a near complete vacancy in net. Meaning I think he'd look for a team that doesn't have a Jarry-type backup. He's moved around enough recently and is likely looking for a longer deal with at least a NTC and perhaps a NMC.

Reactions: Kristopher Letang

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Go look at the save % for recent goalies who get to the SCF...You’re goalie better be playing at .920% or higher in the POs....it’s very rare to have your team outplaying the opposing team with an average goalie save %...
most teams play defense in the playoffs, usely making their goalies look a lot better.

Reactions: Andy99

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Um. If you win games you likely have a higher SV%.
Team 1 wins the game 5-4, allowing 33 shots against. They have a SV% of .878.
Team 2 loses the game 5-4, allowing 42 shots against. They have a SV% of .881.

Winning team has a worse save percentage, because save percentage is based on number of shots, not winning games.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Team 1 wins the game 5-4, allowing 33 shots against. They have a SV% of .878.
Team 2 loses the game 5-4, allowing 42 shots against. They have a SV% of .881.

Winning team has a worse save percentage, because save percentage is based on number of shots, not winning games.

Neat. Team 1 goes to the SCF they have won games to get further in the playoffs inherently having a higher SV%

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
He can't get more than a 1 year deal in arbitration anyway. If the team only want a 1 year deal, his choice is accept it, sit out, or hope for an offer sheet.

I don't think its inconceivable that Murray thinks his best option is to put off signing his big contract for a year, giving him a chance to post better numbers and also go straight to UFA.

Players who are in their final year Restricted Free Agency are only entitled to a 1 year term - just double-checked that on CF - so only 1 year for him.

I stand corrected!

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I wouldn't mind him in a Pens uniform, but think he'd be looking to sign somewhere that has a near complete vacancy in net. Meaning I think he'd look for a team that doesn't have a Jarry-type backup. He's moved around enough recently and is likely looking for a longer deal with at least a NTC and perhaps a NMC.

He'll also be looking for dollars that JR will have no interest in paying.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

DatGuy

Sep 25, 2015
He'll also be looking for dollars that JR will have no interest in paying.
Trade Murray and Jerry for Picks, Salary Dump and a D (any which way you wana do it) sign Robin for 4 years at 18-20 Mil.

Just my personal opinion....likely hood of it happening about the same odds as Montreal winning the cup. might be a stupid idea. just thinking out loud.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It's odd to me that the Hawks even moved him. Lehner has been a goalie I thought was always solid back to his Senators days, Buffalo was clearly a hard time given his issues personally, but he's always been a goalie that could be elite and has put up numbers near it. The Hawks were god awful and he was still a .918 goalie. He faced more shots than Crawford and was less sheltered when he was in net.

I think MAF is still VGK's guy with likely a younger goalie they will want to find soon enough to be the next heir between the pipes. The irony is....Buffalo is a team that could really use Lehner. But I doubt he wants to go back to a team that is a bigger gong show than when he was there. I don't think the Penguins make much sense no matter how much people debate it.

I would have looked at a more veteran goalie to be behind Jarry or be a 3rd in the mix with DeSmith and fight in camp for the back-up job.

I think the issue is that the goalie market will be kind of flooded. The Rangers will have to pick one and might have to see if someone would take Lundy or if he's broached with the trade idea, maybe he just retires.

There's a bunch of RFA goalies and potential UFA goalies. Lehner will need not be the reason VGK loses to still be enticing. Pens can look at the other options after for a 3rd goalie in the mix.

My money is on Lehner taking a 3-4yr deal to sign with the Wings.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Trade Murray and Jerry for Picks, Salary Dump and a D (any which way you wana do it) sign Robin for 4 years at 18-20 Mil.

Just my personal opinion....likely hood of it happening about the same odds as Montreal winning the cup. might be a stupid idea. just thinking out loud.
giphy.gif

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015

This has to be a troll

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
with how close the 2 goalies are playing, and in today's nhl. i think jarry's stick handling of the puck becomes even more valuable.

This is where it is for me. Jarry's stickhandling is just next level good and helps the defense out tremendously. Jarry also has pedigree - so it's not like the guy is coming out of nowhere. I think the best course of action is to sign both of them, and let them have a play out next year. Whoever the team thinks is the better goalie is the one who stays.

If someone offer sheets Murray, do you take it? Baseline compensation would likely be a 1st and a 3rd, and if a team is real dumb we may get a 2nd on top of that. I think that's fine, especially if the team isn't in the bottom 1/3 of the draft order.

Yes. You take it every time. That may be best case scenario.

Reactions: Andy99

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
It's odd to me that the Hawks even moved him.

Tbf, he was an expiring UFA, they were a team missing the playoffs, and they probably didn't have the money to re-sign him.

I think the issue is that the goalie market will be kind of flooded. The Rangers will have to pick one and might have to see if someone would take Lundy or if he's broached with the trade idea, maybe he just retires.

This is pretty true and nevermind what happens with Lehner, I don't care for it when thinking about potential trade returns for our goalies.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I always thought that relying on save % was very incomplete.

Look at Brodeur for example. The Devils would give up less than 20 shots on average. Their system, which Brodeur's ability to play the puck in the corners/behind the net was a huge part of, prevented the other teams from having the puck in their zone and kept everything on the perimeter. He was the best in the league at the time, yet, his save % looked pedestrian.

Luongo, on the other hand, was playing on a shitty Florida team who was bleeding shots. His save % was super high. He was a great goalie, but not better than Brodeur (as we saw in international competitions).

Boston's keepers always have high save %. I would not say that they all are world beaters. I'd argue that Boston give up a lot of perimeter shots and collapse around the net to prevent second chance opportunities. That was particularly true when Chara was in his prime. He was clearly every loose puck around his goalie.

Once again, context is king.

Penguins are a team that plays a game that leads to high-danger chances. Our goalie will never lead the league in save %, even if we had prime Hasek between the pipes.

Reactions: The Old Master

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I would have looked at a more veteran goalie to be behind Jarry or be a 3rd in the mix with DeSmith and fight in camp for the back-up job.

There's a bunch of RFA goalies and potential UFA goalies. Lehner will need not be the reason VGK loses to still be enticing. Pens can look at the other options after for a 3rd goalie in the mix.

My money is on Lehner taking a 3-4yr deal to sign with the Wings.

Should the Pens trade Murray, I think they'll then acquire a more veteran goalie via trade (as opposed to free agency). Something I keep going back to is that I think Lehner to Carolina would make a ton of sense for both parties involved... IF Carolina could trade one of Reimer or Mrazek. While neither are ideal goalies, I do think they'd fit the tandem platoon that the Pens would like to run until Jarry is fully ready.

Murray → some team
Lehner → Carolina
Reimer/Mrazek → Pittsburgh

Edit: Looking at Carolina's roster, I forgot Vatanen was traded there. He's a player that can play both sides of the ice. But I doubt the Pens can afford him...

Yet another edit: Looks like Joel Edmundson can play both sides as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I always thought that relying on save % was very incomplete.

Look at Brodeur for example. The Devils would give up less than 20 shots on average. Their system, which Brodeur's ability to play the puck in the corners/behind the net was a huge part of, prevented the other teams from having the puck in their zone and kept everything on the perimeter. He was the best in the league at the time, yet, his save % looked pedestrian.

Luongo, on the other hand, was playing on a shitty Florida team who was bleeding shots. His save % was super high. He was a great goalie, but not better than Brodeur (as we saw in international competitions).

Boston's keepers always have high save %. I would not say that they all are world beaters. I'd argue that Boston give up a lot of perimeter shots and collapse around the net to prevent second chance opportunities. That was particularly true when Chara was in his prime. He was clearly every loose puck around his goalie.

Once again, context is king.

Penguins are a team that plays a game that leads to high-danger chances. Our goalie will never lead the league in save %, even if we had prime Hasek between the pipes.

We had the second and third lowest rate of permitted Scoring and High Danger chances this season respectively. That's at All Strengths. Most seasons you're right but this season, we gift wrapped glory for them.

I'm curious to see how much this can be maintained. The thought of us being one of the league's best defensive teams at one end with Sid and Geno at the other is just... sublime.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
We had the second and third lowest rate of permitted Scoring and High Danger chances this season respectively. That's at All Strengths. Most seasons you're right but this season, we gift wrapped glory for them.

I'm curious to see how much this can be maintained. The thought of us being one of the league's best defensive teams at one end with Sid and Geno at the other is just... sublime.

Well, Jarry's stats are in line with that.

Murray was hit or miss this year.

If we can maintain our level of defensive play AND have average/above average goaltending, it would extend our window a lot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy99 and Peat

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
GMJR has to move a goalie or potentially lose one in the expansion draft. I was in the trade with Buffalo with the ex Pen GM but now not sure. Murray fits what they need to rebuild the franchise with Eichel. If he has a good to really good playoff, man would I love to get Montour in return.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Going with my goalie scenario above:
  1. Trade Murray to Detroit for a 2020 2nd, 2021 3rd, and Bowey's rights.
  2. Trade Detroit's 2021 3rd to Carolina for James Reimer.
  3. Trade Bowey's rights and Jack Johnson (with $650k retained/20%) to Winnipeg for Winnipeg's 2021 3rd.
  4. Buyout Bjugstad.
  5. Sign Dylan DeMelo for 2 or 3 years.
  6. Re-sign all RFAs.
Notes on the above:
  1. Perhaps Detroit acquires one of the many other goalies that are available.
  2. This Carolina trade is assuming they sign Lehner or acquire another goalie. DeSmith would then be the goalie exposed in the expansion draft.
  3. Winnipeg's defense looks quite bare after this season and trading JJ and Bowey gives them greater depth.
  4. I don't think the Pens will buy anyone out...
  5. DeMelo would anchor the bottom pair and would also be the defense exposed in the expansion draft.
  6. Signing all RFAs and doing the above gives the Pens around $3.5m in cap space.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
GMJR has to move a goalie or potentially lose one in the expansion draft. I was in the trade with Buffalo with the ex Pen GM but now not sure. Murray fits what they need to rebuild the franchise with Eichel. If he has a good to really good playoff, man would I love to get Montour in return.

JR disagrees with you...here’s another comment today in Friedman’s 31 Thoughts:

More obvious situations to watch: . Penguins GM Jim Rutherford on Murray: “He started slow, but he was coming on the second half. You can always find ways to move money around … at a different position and keep both goalies. I don’t think it needs to boil down to people automatically thinking that Matt Murray’s the guy who needs to leave Pittsburgh.”

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
In a normal cap growth perhaps. But a flat cap and Murray could command something around 6 million and Jarry would be costly as a combo. But my point was GMJR can only protect one and Murray has pedigree to attract trade partners. We could see a cap the next 3 years not moving so no way 9 million is doable here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad