Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap: Summer League Extravaganza

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Do you watch the Canucks regularly? Virtanen struggles a ton. He is very similar to Simon in that he goes through stretches and then completely disappears for weeks. He's also regularly been a 20ish point player until he got PP time this year which boosted his numbers.

I was onboard for a Hornqvist + for Virtanen trade last summer. I don't think this summer has done anything for his value though and I would seriously be pissed if we moved a player like Poulin for him. Their comparable dominance in juniors is not very similar unless you highly weigh the WHL over the Q.

Virtanen had a 1.93 5v5 points/60 this year, which is better than what McCann was able to do this year. He also really turned it on after a slow-ish start, with putting up a 50 point pace in his last 44 games (12 goals and 27 points)

I think it's completely reasonable to say no to Poulin for Virtanen, but I think someone would offer a Poulin caliber pick or prospect for Virtanen if he'd become available. Not only are most GMs hard for size, but Virtanen's also a former #6 pick that had a 45 point pace while playing bottom-6 minutes this year. I can easily see teams salivating at the chance to get him, I imagine someone like Boston would easily offer their 1st rounder next year for him.

I don't think Virtanen is any less valuable than someone like McCann or Kapanen would be this off-season.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Virtanen had a 1.93 5v5 points/60 this year, which is better than what McCann was able to do this year. He also really turned it on after a slow-ish start, with putting up a 50 point pace in his last 44 games (12 goals and 27 points)

I think it's completely reasonable to say no to Poulin for Virtanen, but I think someone would offer a Poulin caliber pick or prospect for Virtanen if he'd become available. Not only are most GMs hard for size, but Virtanen's also a former #6 pick that had a 45 point pace while playing bottom-6 minutes this year. I can easily see teams salivating at the chance to get him, I imagine someone like Boston would easily offer their 1st rounder next year for him.

I don't think Virtanen is any less valuable than someone like McCann or Kapanen would be this off-season.

The reason Virtanen put up that pace was because he was elevated due to injuries in the roster as I said. He is like Simon.

Yeah, I wouldn't move Poulin for a McCann or Kapanen either. I think if we really want to, we could bring in Poulin next year and the difference between those three and Poulin would be marginal.

If I'm moving Poulin it is for a legit top six winger or a top four LD that pushes Pettersson down to carry our bottom pairing. It's not like Virtanen is going to provide any cap savings over a player like McCann.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Probably 4-5 mil. Can't afford it.

I have him at $4.75m and he fits on the roster. Murray was traded for picks to Detroit. One of those Detroit picks was flipped to Carolina for James Reimer -- assuming they sign Lehner. Johnson was then traded with 20% retained for a pick and a contract. And Bjugstad had another set back and was LTIR'd for all of next season.

Like I said, a number of moves for it to happen. :laugh:

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019

Oct 1st to Nov 27th Virtanen had 1:55 of PP time, 0g 0a. 7g and 4a in 26 games played at even strength.
Nov 28th to March 11th he had 58:29 of PP time, 6g 3a. 5g and 11a in 43 games played at even strength.

He has 12g and 15a at even, good for 32 points over 82 games, cause you are crazy if you think Virtanen is getting PP time in Pittsburgh.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I have him at $4.75m and he fits on the roster. Murray was traded for picks to Detroit. One of those Detroit picks was flipped to Carolina for James Reimer -- assuming they sign Lehner. Johnson was then traded with 20% retained for a pick and a contract. And Bjugstad had another set back and was LTIR'd for all of next season.

Like I said, a number of moves for it to happen. :laugh:

Yeah. So not realistic. Reimer Jarry sounds like nightmare fuel too.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Reimer was actually good this year. But I think that has more to do with playing behind the best D in the league.
I stand by my assertion.

The only one that makes sense to me, honestly, is the Grubauer in the deal for Murray, just so the Avs can clear that contract. Grub-dawg has 1yr left, which means for the Seattle expansion, it's DeSmith that would be left dangling for the goalie.

I'd be fine with a Jarry-Grubauer tandem and doing a 60-40 split of games.

Grubby has put up some solid numbers behind a wishy-washy Avs defense and some solid numbers behind the Caps power house teams. He's still young-ish too at 28-29yrs old, I mean I say 60-40 split, but I think a 55-45 split would be pretty damn ideal, still gives the Pens an ideal 1-2 punch.

My wish:

To Avs:
Simon + Murray

To Pens:
Bowers + Grubauer + pick

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad