Salary Cap: Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Ploff time

Status
Not open for further replies.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
It probably pays off to make a reasonable guess based on weeks of rumors and act as though it is from your source in the world of B94 DJ’s.
Caller number 26 takes home a Pens prize pack including a jersey and Brian Holzinger. Yes, you will legally own Brian Holzinger's soul and he will have to do whatever you say for the rest of eternity. That's caller number 26.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Filliponi is a tool but Pagnotta is a legitimate source. He's the same guy who said the Penguins were working towards re-signing DeSmith yesterday. If he's saying that they're getting close and has the money, it's legitimate.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Caller number 26 takes home a Pens prize pack including a jersey and Brian Holzinger. Yes, you will legally own Brian Holzinger's soul and he will have to do whatever you say for the rest of eternity. That's caller number 26.

Wow a WHOLE Brian Holzinger?!? Can you imagine owning one of the best players of the 01-05 era? It's like a piece of history! Does he already have all of his shots?

Reactions: dogthateats

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
It's gonna be interesting to see if that'll be enough to keep Letang from seeing if he can snag $9 million AAV x 5 in FA.

Probably coming down to the wire one way or another with concrete numbers coming out now.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It's gonna be interesting to see if that'll be enough to keep Letang from seeing if he can snag $9 million AAV x 5 in FA.

Probably coming down to the wire one way or another with concrete numbers coming out now.

My guess is the Penguins ended up caving to either a 4 or 5 year, and Letang is fine with taking like $7.5m-$8m on a 5 year deal while staying with Pittsburgh.

I think term was the big thing with him. If they ended up giving him the term he wanted, I think he'd overlook the Penguins offering less money.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Winner agrees to hold harmless all involved from liability for any viruses and/or transmittable diseases that Brian Holzinger may be delivered with.

Uh... well... OK.

Hey at least maybe if I catch something from him I'll get way better at faceoffs and significantly worse at everything else in the sport!

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I also think Letang taking less than what he could get on the open market may signal to Geno to lower his demands a bit. So far, you've had Rust take below market value to stay, and it sounds like Letang is heading that way as well.

If every other one of the big guns is on good value contracts (which I think all of Crosby, Letang, Guentzel, Rust and Jarry are), I hope Malkin would read the rest of the team and join them in taking a team friendly contract.

Reactions: Night Shift

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
I also think Letang taking less than what he could get on the open market may signal to Geno to lower his demands a bit. So far, you've had Rust take below market value to stay, and it sounds like Letang is heading that way as well.

If every other one of the big guns is on good value contracts (which I think all of Crosby, Letang, Guentzel, Rust and Jarry are), I hope Malkin would read the rest of the team and join them in taking a team friendly contract.
That lines up with Burke saying Malkin comes after Letang. If 58 agrees to 7.5 that's a real tone-setter.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I don't understand why Hasse says that the Penguins would have to add a sweetener on top of Zucker to move him even if they're retaining 50% (which seems like an absurd suggestion), while suggesting that a Pettersson trade is more likely than a buyout. I feel like it would be substantially harder to move Pettersson than Zucker.

Because those things aren't related. It's Pettersson trade (unlikely) vs Pettersson buyout (even more unlikely), and possible Zucker trade, in isolation.

edit: Not that I love the article's logic. Bringing up Matheson just to say no seems weird to me.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
That lines up with Burke saying Malkin comes after Letang. If 58 agrees to 7.5 that's a real tone-setter.
no way 7.5. Tanger is getting easy $42.5M-$45M whether its 4,5 or 6 year contract. He is not taking $37.5M 5-7.5...No friggin way...

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
no way 7.5. Tanger is getting easy $42.5M-$45M whether its 4,5 or 6 year contract. He is not taking $37.5M 5-7.5...No friggin way...
Yea i mean anything under $40M on total package would be a massive steal for us. I'm just saying If it's 5x7.5 and that deal gets done first, that would be a huge message sent to Malkin to follow suit with a healthy hometown discount.

Maybe JP Barry has been playing more hardball than Kent Hughes up to this point, and that's why Burke made his public comments.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Yea i mean anything under $40M on total package would be a massive steal for us. I'm just saying If it's 5x7.5 and that deal gets done first, that would be a huge message sent to Malkin to follow suit with a healthy hometown discount.

Maybe JP Barry has been playing more hardball than Kent Hughes up to this point, and that's why Burke made his public comments.
Hughes is not Letang’s agent anymore…he went to MTL

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I hope people start showing some love for our GM soon.
It doesn't fit group think narrative

You're going to fire and replace 18 players?
IIRC I think 95 percent of the board had the Rangers winning in 4 to 5 games because we were supposedly the heavy underdogs. Why rag on Sullivan then when the expectation was already a loss in the 1st round?

Sullivan completely outcoached Gallant in The first half of the series. But it took a Crosby cheap shot to deflate the entire team the rest of the series. They had game 5 in the bag before that sequence. The only thing you can maybe fault Sullivan is he arguably let them off the hook with a combination of low team morale and AHL goaltending. But I think it's a stretch since there is only so much one person (coach) can control with the circumstance. The team still had leads from game 5-7. Perhaps having an NHL goaltender closes out game 6?

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
The Pens are definitely negotiating with Malkin through HFboards with Emp as lead negotiator

Malkin signs a contract everyday and Emp rips it up in front of him and gives Malkin 5% less the next day. Psychological warfare

1656706322047.gif

You're going to fire and replace 18 players?

No just 8.7 players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad