Salary Cap: Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Ploff time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think if they’re not prioritizing Malkin it’s at least partly due to Sullivan. Sully likes players that you can throw out at any time and in any situation and Malkin isn’t that kind of player anymore. Like Kessel.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Has a 35 year old ever gotten a higher cap hit on a new contract in NHL history?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Has a 35 year old ever gotten a higher cap hit on a new contract in NHL history?

Joe Thorton got a 1 year, $8 million deal in 2017 after having a 3 year, $6.75 million deal in the previous 3 years. Thornton was like 37 or 38 when he signed that.

I'm pretty sure Jagr got multiple raises when he was doing his farewell tour as well. His Philly contract was $3.3 million and the rest of his contracts were almost all higher, albeit on performance bonuses usually.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
An Offer Sheet Rumor…

Andrew Mangiapane and the Penguins? I am told that should Malkin and Letang say no to the offers the Penguins have on the table I am told they absolutely LOVE Mangiapane…

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I like how I can exactly tell that is an Eklund rumor despite no name or no link being provided.

How would the Penguins even do an offersheet? They don't have their own picks to do an offersheet that Mangiapane would sign, unless they're doing an offersheet that would cost 3 1sts. They don't have their 3rd next year.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Well some of those young 2nd and 3rd rounders end up being steals.... JR really screwed this team up.. after His Kessel trade that went well..
And we hired a guy that done almost nothing to improve JR’s mess.

Were you the one who suggested Jim Montgomery as a replacement for Sully a month or two ago? I'm pretty flattened the Bruins went with him. He's definitely the kind of coach players love, nothing like the hard ass Cassidy supposedly can be, but boy, the danger signs are there and if he thought Dallas was a tough gig, he ain't seen nothin' yet. I'm all for stories of redemption and I hope he has overcome (for lack of a better word) his addiction. We will see.
This franchise loves giving idiots second chances, why not?

Montgomery was one of several names I threw out there. Sorry I’m tired of treading water with Hextall. I’m done with Sully - there are very few coaches I’d want less.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Quite prevalent in Eastern Europe and Russia - and in the "east" in general. Lol, I interviewed a guy from India who had 2 bachelor's degrees - one in medicine and one in surgery from a school in India. Dude was a ER doc/surgeon and wanted to stay in the US.
Incidentally, if this board wants exactly the example of a player who did this, look no further than Jiří Šlégr who became a politician after retiring from hockey.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
So, the coward GM that is afraid to make any changes to the team will suddenly offer sheet another player?

giphy.gif

Reactions: Shady Machine

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

I mean Petts should be in here over Marino, but other than that, maybe the Pens front office should be listening to Sylvie, as she appears to be much more insightful than they are….lol

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Since I've yet to give up hope:

Sign Geno and Letang for $15.5M total
Sign Rakell for $4.4M
Sign DeSmith for $1.625M
Offer sheet and get Nicolas Roy for 5 years at $3.75M
Sign Bozak and Lazar each for one year at $1M

Trade Zucker with money retained to Buffalo for Girgensons
Trade Dumoulin to LA for our 3rd rounders back

Guentzel - Crosby - Roy
Rakell - Malkin - Rust
DOC - Blueger - Carter
Girgensons - Bozak - McGinn
Zohorna - Lazar

Matheson - Letang
Pettersson - Marino
POJ - Ruhwedel
Friedman

Jarry - DeSmith

~$1M in cap space

I posted this over on CapFriendly. The first two responses were "This team is far worse than last season" and "Kings pass. There are better options for them out there".

The third response brought up an idea I don't think I've seen mentioned here. Offer up Zucker+ to a team in order to have them buy him out. Then re-sign Zucker to a cheaper deal. That poster suggested Kapanen as the '+'. edit: heck, throw in Heinen too to Arizona.

I know the Capitals did this with Orpik. Has this been addressed in any CBA modifications?

Last edited:

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I posted this over on CapFriendly. The first two responses were "This team is far worse than last season" and "Kings pass. There are better options for them out there".

The third response brought up an idea I don't think I've seen mentioned here. Offer up Zucker+ to a team in order to have them buy him out. Then re-sign Zucker to a cheaper deal. That poster suggested Kapanen as the '+'. edit: heck, throw in Heinen too to Arizona.

I know the Capitals did this with Orpik. Has this been addressed in any CBA modifications?
That’s way too complicated for Ron Hextall to do.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Pretty sure it hasn't, although next one might. Although, much as I like Zucker, I want zero part of what he'd cost in UFA.

Incidentally I really dislike the idea of running back last year's defence just minus Dumo, and I'd be a little twitchy about next summer once we've deleted the expiring contracts from the roster.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Incidentally, if this board wants exactly the example of a player who did this, look no further than Jiří Šlégr who became a politician after retiring from hockey.
Wonder what Douglas Murray is up to these days?

Re: Bozak, Girgs...why wouldn't we just resign Heinen and ERod? Both outperformed Girgs and Bozak, are younger, and I can't imagine the cost is that far off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad