Salary Cap: Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Ploff time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Pretty sure it hasn't, although next one might. Although, much as I like Zucker, I want zero part of what he'd cost in UFA.

Incidentally I really dislike the idea of running back last year's defence just minus Dumo, and I'd be a little twitchy about next summer once we've deleted the expiring contracts from the roster.

I believe the thought behind bringing Zucker back after a buyout is that he'd take a "team friendly" deal. If a team buys him out he only gets $1.73M this season and next. Pens could then sign him to a 6 year deal @ $3.72M structured like the Rust deal ($4.5M, 4.5, 4.5, 3.4, 2.7, 2.7). He gets a million extra this upcoming season than if he were to play out the current deal. Then he gets another $17.8M. Zucker at ~$3.7M is way more stomach-able.

Agreed on the defense, but I don't think they'll be able to make too many moves this offseason. More moves will have to be made during the season.

Wonder what Douglas Murray is up to these days?

Re: Bozak, Girgs...why wouldn't we just resign Heinen and ERod? Both outperformed Girgs and Bozak, are younger, and I can't imagine the cost is that far off

The team hasn't been working out as constructed so I think they need to re-vamp quite a bit. Heinen and ERod are more of the same that hasn't been working despite their productivity. I also think Heinen could be used as a trade chip to unload a heftier contract.

Reactions: Peat

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I believe the thought behind bringing Zucker back after a buyout is that he'd take a "team friendly" deal. If a team buys him out he only gets $1.73M this season and next. Pens could then sign him to a 6 year deal @ $3.72M structured like the Rust deal ($4.5M, 4.5, 4.5, 3.4, 2.7, 2.7). He gets a million extra this upcoming season than if he were to play out the current deal. Then he gets another $17.8M. Zucker at ~$3.7M is way more stomach-able.

I don't see why he'd want to do that though, and I don't see why a team that could do with getting younger and whose best prospects are almost universally left wingers would want to do that.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I don't see why he'd want to do that though, and I don't see why a team that could do with getting younger and whose best prospects are almost universally left wingers would want to do that.

🤷‍♂️ f*** if I know. I do think it makes more sense from his perspective than the Pens'.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Puljujarvi wants out of Edmonton. I'd to a Kapanen swap for him. Can't be much worse, right?

I think it’s Edmonton that wants him out. Makes sense, they’re stupid.

Puljujarvi’s better attributes (forechecking, defense) would be a great addition to our game style.

McDavid’s GA/60 rates doubled when Puljujarvi wasn’t there (the sample size was big enough not to be an anomaly)

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011

Agreed on the defense, but I don't think they'll be able to make too many moves this offseason. More moves will have to be made during the season.

The team hasn't been working out as constructed so I think they need to re-vamp quite a bit. Heinen and ERod are more of the same that hasn't been working despite their productivity. I also think Heinen could be used as a trade chip to unload a heftier contract.

I am not sure what is going on here with giving Zucker a lifetime contract, but the likelihood of him being able to the pass a physical to be bought out is low. It will take a pick or three to get rid of him. I'd be shocked and pleasantly surprised if they even try to go through the buyout process with him, as that at least signifies the org is at least trying to make a change.

But GMRH has made no moves to make any substantive changes to this team, so I can't see anything creative going on anyways.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
🤷‍♂️ f*** if I know. I do think it makes more sense from his perspective than the Pens'.

Fair enough. Me, I reckon from his perspective, the next contract is the last big one and the term team friendly shouldn't get involved unless he really likes a place and has a full NMC.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
I am not sure what is going on here with giving Zucker a lifetime contract, but the likelihood of him being able to the pass a physical to be bought out is low. It will take a pick or three to get rid of him. I'd be shocked and pleasantly surprised if they even try to go through the buyout process with him, as that at least signifies the org is at least trying to make a change.

But GMRH has made no moves to make any substantive changes to this team, so I can't see anything creative going on anyways.
It wouldnt take 3 picks to unload Zucker......get real

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Puljujarvi's got next to zero hockey IQ. He's big, he's talented, but he's dumb as a f***ing doorknob. It'd be trading a really fast but dumb player for a really big but dumb player. I know the thought process is trying to find the next Nuke, but I don't think Puljujarvi's that guy.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Kap is the plan if Rakell is not a Pen. Kap still has to play better but he has the tools and needs to play with more focus. Maybe this contract wakes him up and he works hard to become that winger who maximizes his speed shot and work ethic. Zucker is simply not a long term LW with his game. Pens need say DOC to become that bigger stronger LW to add some size and strength to the top 6 next year. No thanks on the Oilers RW who is a bust. If Hextall can earn his keep and move one of the LD for cap space and keep Letang at a decent contract then the question is center. to me Malkin is to much a health risk in games missed to sign him for 7 million AAV.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
It's seriously understated how weak our goaltending has been for 4 straight first round exits.

8 career playoff games played by Jarry and 1 by CDS. Re-signing CDS would be so f****ing lazy. Please dear God bring in some experience to that tandem ala Holtby. I'd maybe even take a flyer on Martin Jones for the same reason.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Let some other team try and figure it out with Kap. Accept that JR paid an absurd price for a mediocre 3rd liner with a last name he had emotional ties to and move on.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Puljujarvi's got next to zero hockey IQ. He's big, he's talented, but he's dumb as a f***ing doorknob. It'd be trading a really fast but dumb player for a really big but dumb player. I know the thought process is trying to find the next Nuke, but I don't think Puljujarvi's that guy.

It’s not about finding the next Nuke. It’s getting a guy that fits our game style.

As long as the contract is fair he’d do well.

You might be judging him from a few years ago. He makes his line better.

Reactions: KareemTrustfund

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
DeFabo saying 60% seems very optimistic based on what everyone has said.

Even Malkin's agent is calling it a 50/50 split, and his tone was pretty down when he said that.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
DeFabo saying 60% seems very optimistic based on what everyone has said.

Even Malkin's agent is calling it a 50/50 split, and his tone was pretty down when he said that.

Malkin's agent isn't going to talk it up.

Not saying DeFabo is right per se, but if his gut is that one of the two sides playing hardball are liable to fold last minute, might explain his optimism. Friedman speculated that Malkin might do that.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
At this point, it feels like the only way Geno sticks around is if he's straight up willing to come down from whatever his camp is asking, and accept whatever the club's offering. There's probably no more negotiations; each side has their position and it's up to one or the other to relent. There probably won't be any more offers from either side.

I wonder if the Letang thing was sorta the same situation. "Here's our offer, it's competitive with market value." type thing and they left it up to his camp to decide whether he wants the familiarity of Pittsburgh/Sid with a minimal raise or if he wants to field offers in FA to see if he's the next top pairing blueliner to kill a GMs cap structure.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

I don't want any part of re-signing Zucker in that scenario. IMO, he's way too injury prone at this point and I'd rather the club move in a different direction than him.

Especially since a big part of his game is speed and he keeps blowing out his groin/leg. Zucker as an above average skater can be an asset. Zucker as an average skater isn't much better than whatever you'd find in the $2 million or less UFA bargain bin.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

I get what you're saying, I'm just not sire I'm there. That's 37 goals to replace. Heinen is a RFA too. Both play on any line. Girgs and Bozak, not so much. Neither of them bring the youth and speed with need either.

So i dont disagree with you suggesting we need a change, maybe im just more in the "yeah but not those two".

Like maybe trade Heinen for Kubalik and Kapanen for Kunin as potential moves.
I can't see that not messing up their cap.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Malkin's agent isn't going to talk it up.

Not saying DeFabo is right per se, but if his gut is that one of the two sides playing hardball are liable to fold last minute, might explain his optimism. Friedman speculated that Malkin might do that.

His agent isn't going to talk it up of course, but his tone was pretty evidently bad in his interview. It wasn't him playing his cards close to his chest, it was him being pretty negative about the whole situation.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

He’s way better than Kapanen at forechecking, defense and driving the net though. There’s way more separating their styles than just speed and size.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

Zucker isnt getting a 6/$20m contract next.

More like 2/$6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln