Salary Cap: Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Ploff time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
I'm fine going for an extra year on Letang, if it means keeping the AAV down that little bit extra. He's got the kind of athleticism that, in a few years when putrid and become sellers again, I'm sure he will be wanted as a mid-season addition (with healthy retention) by some contender.

I'm not saying we're going to find a Ken Holland/Duncan Keith situation, but I think an up and coming contender would kill to add a still-productive Letang in a couple of years. Only way I cant see that working out is if he somehow falls off a cliff the next couple of years. Then, so what? It's not likely we will be a massive contender anyway.

If Tanger takes a little less, and that means Geno is back and the three amigos can ride off into the sunset, I'll be a very happy man.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
I also think Letang taking less than what he could get on the open market may signal to Geno to lower his demands a bit. So far, you've had Rust take below market value to stay, and it sounds like Letang is heading that way as well.

If every other one of the big guns is on good value contracts (which I think all of Crosby, Letang, Guentzel, Rust and Jarry are), I hope Malkin would read the rest of the team and join them in taking a team friendly contract.
Which at the end of the day would be great for the team b/c they could sign RR and possibly land another bigger name.

Obviously with my thought process ( which I know differs from many) this team isn't far off and can add another strong piece or two and be legitimate contenders.

I know they don't have take less than what some teams may offer but if they want a legit shot signing a little cheaper and helping to build out a better roster gets a much stronger opportunity at another shot.

Know all this though they will sign someone who we never would have expected them to get and they will get hurt for 1/2 the season b/c thats just how it works

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
Sully has brought up many times managing work loads when back-to-backs aren't a factor.
It's not just a physical endurance thing either. The season's a mental grind.
It does you no good if your healthy starting goalie is tapped out mentally come April.
What set us back last year in this regard was CDS starting slow. Sully couldn't trust him at that stage. Casey was vocal about his confidence being low.

The position is more demanding now than when Brodeur used to dominate starts. The whole league is faster. The average player shoots much harder and has more skill. Everyone's looking for lateral plays.
Look at man-games-lost for goalies last year. Staggering numbers.

We do have 2 strong goalies. Our backup is a career .915.
He was .916 during the season he got 36 games. He can handle it. Those are respectable numbers even for starters.

Jarry does not need to play 60 games next year. We can make the playoffs with him getting 50.
The East is looking to be quite weak.

View attachment 563777

Which of these teams is gonna take our spot?
If the answer is "nobody's close", then why not rest Jarry more?
The Islanders definitely can.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
I'm fine going for an extra year on Letang, if it means keeping the AAV down that little bit extra. He's got the kind of athleticism that, in a few years when putrid and become sellers again, I'm sure he will be wanted as a mid-season addition (with healthy retention) by some contender.

I'm not saying we're going to find a Ken Holland/Duncan Keith situation, but I think an up and coming contender would kill to add a still-productive Letang in a couple of years. Only way I cant see that working out is if he somehow falls off a cliff the next couple of years. Then, so what? It's not likely we will be a massive contender anyway.

If Tanger takes a little less, and that means Geno is back and the three amigos can ride off into the sunset, I'll be a very happy man.
I've mentioned many times, I think Letang can and will age rather well and be serviceable till 40.

Not really worried about the term at this point but a smaller hit to the cap would go a long ways to helping the team the next 2-3 years

Reactions: Extra Texture

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
So, to be clear, the newest Letang stuff is essentially "Pens offered this much, now we wait" right? Not like, Letang's expected to sign any moment type thing?

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Let Lindberg play backup and toss him into the fire. Sink or swim baby. Go ultra cheap on the tenders.

Rather let him play than pay CDS 2M or whatever. You guys gotta live a little. Take the risk. Who knows Lindberg might ball out.

Worst case he's meh and you trade for another turd backup later.
Casey DeSmith was horrendous for about a year, but our lazy ass GM never did anything about it.

You can’t go into the season with a giant hole with him as GM because he won’t fix it.

Jobeycool

Jun 20, 2019
They tend to sign these big name contracts right before free agent signings starts.. However if they sign Letang and Malkin , Penguins are going to have to trade contracts out somehow if they want to compete against top teams..

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
They tend to sign these big name contracts right before free agent signings starts.. However if they sign Letang and Malkin , Penguins are going to have to trade contracts out somehow if they want to compete against top teams..

Oh no! It would be really awful if the team actually got on their horse and traded a handful of their objectively dumpy contracts in order to keep a still-productive core.

Jobeycool

Jun 20, 2019
Oh no! It would be really awful if the team actually got on their horse and traded a handful of their objectively dumpy contracts in order to keep a still-productive core.
Problem is...it is not that simple to do unless we lose more draft picks....

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
No, it's that both sides are making progress and Letang's extension will come in the $7m-$8m range.
I'm just trying to gauge where it feels like the news is coming from. If it's the team leaking numbers so they can be like "Look! We gave him a good offer and he turned it down!" or if it's Letang's camp going "They offered relatively the same as he's been making which is a serious drop off from what #1 d-men are making around the league."

Hope it wraps up soon either way. On to actually improving the team.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Problem is...it is not that simple to do unless we lose more draft picks....

This is what everyone says right up until the player or players in question are traded.

And frankly I don't care too much about some bottom half 2nd or 3rd round pick that much. Use em to dump dead weight... I don't mind. Almost certainly just another Bjorkqvist the Pens are telling to f*** off back to Europe in a few years, anyway.

Jobeycool

Jun 20, 2019
This is what everyone says right up until the player or players in question are traded.

And frankly I don't care too much about some bottom half 2nd or 3rd round pick that much. Use em to dump dead weight... I don't mind. Almost certainly just another Bjorkqvist we're telling to f*** off back to Europe in a few years, anyway.
Well some of those young 2nd and 3rd rounders end up being steals.... JR really screwed this team up.. after His Kessel trade that went well..

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Casey DeSmith was horrendous for about a year, but our lazy ass GM never did anything about it.

You can’t go into the season with a giant hole with him as GM because he won’t fix it.
Were you the one who suggested Jim Montgomery as a replacement for Sully a month or two ago? I'm pretty flattened the Bruins went with him. He's definitely the kind of coach players love, nothing like the hard ass Cassidy supposedly can be, but boy, the danger signs are there and if he thought Dallas was a tough gig, he ain't seen nothin' yet. I'm all for stories of redemption and I hope he has overcome (for lack of a better word) his addiction. We will see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad