Post-Game Talk: Game 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
The difference in the last 2 games and the first 3 is the officiating. I'm not blaming the refs - it's just a fact.

Game 1 - 10 penalties called
Game 2 - 14 penalties called
Game 3 - 15 penalties called
Game 4 - 5 penalties called
Game 5 - 6 penalties called

That favors Carolina. The Rangers need to do more in the offensive zone to draw penalties. They need to be more aggressive.

I've calmed down a bit after last night. Not happy with the team, obviously, and I'm mentally preparing for the worst. But at the same time, this team has blown series leads in back to back years. All we can do as fans, since we have no control over it, is hope they've learned from that experience and channel it to come out and win Thursday.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
This is where I come to the conclusion of "then don't bother."

It's ok to be disappointed.

With some of the stuff you say, I think you seriously need to re-assess if this is worth the investment for you.

I reassess it all the time. It's my drug. I'll be honest I really wish I could quit it and spend my time more productively. There's very little reward and the anger I get at this franchise is not consistent with how happy I am when they win. Rationally speaking I wouldn't watch a minute of this garbage franchise and the Giants. But I'm basically a drug addict. I'm addicted to this team. I hate watch them at this point.

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
The difference in the last 2 games and the first 3 is the officiating. I'm not blaming the refs - it's just a fact.

Game 1 - 10 penalties called
Game 2 - 14 penalties called
Game 3 - 15 penalties called
Game 4 - 5 penalties called
Game 5 - 6 penalties called

That favors Carolina. The Rangers need to do more in the offensive zone to draw penalties. They need to be more aggressive.

I've calmed down a bit after last night. Not happy with the team, obviously, and I'm mentally preparing for the worst. But at the same time, this team has blown series leads in back to back years. All we can do as fans, since we have no control over it, is hope they've learned from that experience and channel it to come out and win Thursday.

the problem for me is not the amount of PP but the amount of things they just decide to let go that they would've called in the first 3 games, it's almost like playing a different sport.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
This is where I come to the conclusion of "then don't bother."

It's ok to be disappointed.

With some of the stuff you say, I think you seriously need to re-assess if this is worth the investment for you.
This is a good point. My wife said to me, "you can't care more than they do." And honestly, it sometimes feels like I do. I can't allow the team's failures to affect my personal life lol

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
Not singling you out, I'm just sick of the referendum on the team's mentality with every little bit of adversity.

They had 1 bad game in the playoffs out of 9.

If they lose the series, we have all summer to re-visit changes that should be made.
That's fair. But it's 2 bad games, and at the worst time when you have the series at the edge.

Igor is pedestrian the last 2. League best PP not getting it done. Still not getting pucks on Anderson with regularity, who isn't great. Need to find their shit and fast, cause they can't let it go 7, and with game 6 in Raleigh they are absolutely in danger.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
the thing that stings the most for me is we have to wait an extra day for game 6, it's excruciating.
Agreed. Best thing is to forget about hockey the next few days. I have watched 99 percent of the periods this postseason of every game and last night watched about 2 minutes of the Dallas/Avs game. Best to keep busy with something else until Thursday Eve.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'm going to let you in on one of my zen secrets.

I don't plan to watch the game Thursday. I'm probably just going to take a walk somewhere that's a vibe for me, and just follow along in the thread with you guys.

I've literally watched or listened to (bad idea!) every minute of the playoffs. Sometimes I need days off from staring at it, and I just get updates, and sit with you guys.

I cannot recommend it enough, occasionally, for your mental health.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
the problem for me is not the amount of PP but the amount of things they just decide to let go that they would've called in the first 3 games, it's almost like playing a different sport.
It's the playoffs. The officiating is going to be inconsistent. I agree with you but I'm not going to be that fan that sits here and blames the refs. They're letting them play. The Rangers have to do more to force them to call penalties. They'll call the obvious ones but they're not going to call the ticky tacky stuff in a series as tight as this, particularly with how one-sided the special teams play has been

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
That's fair. But it's 2 bad games, and at the worst time when you have the series at the edge.

Igor is pedestrian the last 2. League best PP not getting it done. Still not getting pucks on Anderson with regularity, who isn't great. Need to find their shit and fast, cause they can't let it go 7, and with game 6 in Raleigh they are absolutely in danger.
I wouldn't say it's two bad games. We played very well in game 4. We should have swept this team. We outscored them 3-1 for like 50 minutes.

Just do that two more times and there's no way the Canes win both.

Reactions: MrAlmost

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL

Igor was pedestrian in Game 4 but not Game 5. He's the only reason that game was 1-0. The Rangers didn't show up in the 3rd period.

IMO, the team played poorly in 2 periods all series. 1st period of Game 4 and 3rd period of Game 5. They took two Ls in those games. Gotta play 60 minutes.

Atax

Apr 7, 2011
I'd bench Wennberg. Dude is awful. If Chytil cant go, id even consider moving up Goodrow and getting in Wheeler(doubt he's ready) or even Othmann. If he wants to play like an AHLer he can be replaced.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

I don't plan to watch the game Thursday. I'm probably just going to take a walk somewhere that's a vibe for me, and just follow along in the thread with you guys.

I've literally watched or listened to (bad idea!) every minute of the playoffs. Sometimes I need days off from staring at it, and I just get updates, and sit with you guys.

That was my plan too. I'm not watch it either. Maybe if they go up 5-0 or something, which won't happen.

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
It's the playoffs. The officiating is going to be inconsistent. I agree with you but I'm not going to be that fan that sits here and blames the refs. They're letting them play. The Rangers have to do more to force them to call penalties. They'll call the obvious ones but they're not going to call the ticky tacky stuff in a series as tight as this, particularly with how one-sided the special teams play has been
Yeah, the way they call penalties is aggravating, but that's not why they lost last night.

If it was really the coaches telling them to "just defend," I wonder if that was a reaction to something. Like the coaches saw the team didn't have it, or they thought there were too many injuries or whatever. And they thought this was their best shot.

Reactions: bl02

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
I fully expect the leaders of this team - Trocheck, Kreider, Trouba, mostly - to lock this team in for Game 6. Guys need to vibe and feel like they can do it. And it starts with those guys, who are the leaders of the team culture.

Panarin and Fox need to be better as well. If Fox is really hurt, just sit him out and play Jones in his spot.

Yeah, the way they call penalties is aggravating, but that's not why they lost last night.

If it was really the coaches telling them to "just defend," I wonder if that was a reaction to something. Like the coaches saw the team didn't have it, or they thought there were too many injuries or whatever. And they thought this was their best shot.
Yeah I'm not blaming the refs at all. I'm saying the Rangers have had a stark advantage on special teams, so the more penalties called (so long as it's pretty even) the better. And that hasn't happened. It did happen in the first 3 games. I expect the whistles to be tighter in a Game 6 or 7 with two really good teams and the Rangers have to force the officials' hands by forechecking hard and drawing calls.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

Fun story: I did this for like half of game 7 against Pittsburgh.

Right before the third period, I was like "that's it, I'm cooked," and I walked around following it. I saw everyone yelling "MIKA!!!" and then in overtime, once we were on the powerplay, I put the radio on and I heard Panarin score.

I ran home and I run like Brent Burns shaves.

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
damn lol what's the point if you're not even gonna watch the game. if i missed, say, 2022 game 6 vs Carolina i would hate myself forever, that was one of the best things i've ever seen.

Atax

Apr 7, 2011
damn lol what's the point if you're not even gonna watch the game. if i missed, say, 2022 game 6 vs Carolina i would hate myself forever, that was one of the best things i've ever seen.
Some people handle stress/cope differently. Theres no best way. If that works for them, then thats their choice.

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
Some people handle stress/cope differently. Theres no best way. If that works for them, then thats their choice.

yeah i know. i worked with a guy who said he locked himself in the bathroom during 1994 ECF Game 7 overtime.

• Haha
Reactions: Atax

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Yes, they are. They just have to play like they are the best team in the league, which they were during the regular season. If the Rangers get reversed swept, it's on Laviolette.
I'm sorry but coaches are not miracle workers. 4 days ago people were blaming Rod and planning for him to be let go if the Canes lose. Now 4 days later Rod is back to being a great coach and now Lavi is bad? Not buying it. Both Rod and Lavi are both very good coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad