Salary Cap: Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Ploff time

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Only like 12 more days until we can send off our old Malkin and Letang jerseys to the pro shop to replace the numbers and lettering with Trocheck 16 and Petry 26. How sweet it is.
If you actually do this, you are pathetic. No one turned in their Lemieux or Jagr jerseys. Just cause a player is retired or not with the team anymore is a stupid reason to not wear their jersey.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
If you actually do this, you are pathetic. No one turned in their Lemieux or Jagr jerseys. Just cause a player is retired or not with the team anymore is a stupid reason to not wear their jersey.

The neighborhood children mock me for not having hip and current player jerseys, though. I will do it for my safety. Good day.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Both the Penguins and Malkin's side are using the media to influence the negotiations. Burke and Barry both went on different podcasts on the same day to express their views of the negotiation and try to push their side.

If you want to dismiss the insiders entirely, just listen to Burke and Barry. They're negotiating through the media, but their tone is superbly not encouraging and it really seems logical to conclude that they're a good bit apart.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Both the Penguins and Malkin's side are using the media to influence the negotiations. Burke and Barry both went on different podcasts on the same day to express their views of the negotiation and try to push their side.

If you want to dismiss the insiders entirely, just listen to Burke and Barry. They're negotiating through the media, but their tone is superbly not encouraging and it really seems logical to conclude that they're a good bit apart.
I wonder if Barry informed the team that Zucker, Kapanen and ERod suck.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Well it speaks to a delusion like all the good times are ruined if negotiations don't work out now. What happens this summer invalidates nothing of 71 and 58's legacies here.

It at least tarnishes it if Malkin plays in a f***ing Rangers or especially Capitals jersey. That will be a vile conclusion to an otherwise terrific story. And everyone knows a poorly written ending can damage an entire book.

Hopefully he somehow makes it out West, I guess. Sad that that's seemingly the best case scenario at this point.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I just hope their either announce new deals in the next few days or move the rights to the player(s) and get on with the next step. This quickly went from popcorn.gif to yawn.gif.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019

There was also an Athletic article about Russian NHLers who go back to Russia during the off-season not being able to return to the NHL next year. I wouldn't draft a Russian player in the draft this year and I'd beg Malkin to stay in the US this off-season if they end up retaining him.

Also, Ovechkin rubbing dicks with Putin as he's playing soccer for Dynamo Moscow just shows how much of a piece of shit Ovechkin is

But it's so cooooomplicated, dude. :laugh: :eyeroll:

Ovechkin's a f***ing punk. I hope he gets stranded in that shithole and misses out on Gretzky's record because he had to dance around like a jester for his genocidal tyrant buddy.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Honestly I'd have a bigger issue with Malkin going to the Capitals due to Ovechkin than due to the Capitals.

I remember reading speculation that OV was setting up a future in Russian "politics" a few offseason ago by receiving a "doctorate" "degree" from some Russian Sports and Science BS organization.

It wouldn't surprise me. He's the son of some oligarchs I believe, so it would make sense.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
It at least tarnishes it if Malkin plays in a f***ing Rangers or especially Capitals jersey. That will be a vile conclusion to an otherwise terrific story. And everyone knows a poorly written ending can damage an entire book.

Hopefully he somehow makes it out West, I guess. Sad that that's seemingly the best case scenario at this point.
If Geno is injured half the year and Genovechkin are a -20, I will accept the sabotage.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
It wouldn't surprise me. He's the son of some oligarchs I believe, so it would make sense.

Internet gives the impression that his parents were athletes who raised him in a shitty neighbourhood and had to do some under the country work to get more money. Not saying you're necessarily wrong, just that's what I found.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Internet gives the impression that his parents were athletes who raised him in a shitty neighbourhood and had to do some under the country work to get more money. Not saying you're necessarily wrong, just that's what I found.
I've heard loads about the Russian politics thing too here in the Czech and Slovak press, FYI. :dunno: Who really knows what's true and what isn't, except as a person with a vested interest in not supporting a genocidal asshole, I'd prefer not to go to Russia and hang with Kadryov and Putin.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
OV's mother is deeply involved in Russian athletics. But didn't OV mostly marry into Russian intrigue? His wife's father is some businessman of note, no? Or a crook probably depending on your moral compass.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

There was also an Athletic article about Russian NHLers who go back to Russia during the off-season not being able to return to the NHL next year. I wouldn't draft a Russian player in the draft this year and I'd beg Malkin to stay in the US this off-season if they end up retaining him.

Also, Ovechkin rubbing dicks with Putin as he's playing soccer for Dynamo Moscow just shows how much of a piece of shit Ovechkin is

I think there's also an aspect of "self-preservation" in "playing nice". That said, I'm actually shocked that any Russian player would go back to Russia in the off-season. They likely treat OV better but still...pretty decent risk with all those millions on the table in Washington.
I remember reading speculation that OV was setting up a future in Russian "politics" a few offseason ago by receiving a "doctorate" "degree" from some Russian Sports and Science BS organization.
Quite prevalent in Eastern Europe and Russia - and in the "east" in general. Lol, I interviewed a guy from India who had 2 bachelor's degrees - one in medicine and one in surgery from a school in India. Dude was a ER doc/surgeon and wanted to stay in the US.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Breaking news: Man who has probably north of $100 million banked up fears for the safety of his family that he inexplicably can't vacate out of harm's way. Will continue to keep his instagram full of photos of him hanging out with a genocidal maniac while also heading back to Russia to dance around like a jester for PR stunts and photo ops for his boy Putin. But it's really complicated he swears, guys.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah, internet says Mrs Ovie's dad is a businessman.

I mean I know shit about it, and nothing much would surprise me given what little I know of Russia. The main point that Ovechkin is happy to be near the centre of things there despite everything seems fairly undeniable though.

Also

Why? It's not like they'd be ready this year or next. Or the one after that.

This is mainly my point of view, but at the same time, we don't really know when things are going to change there. Could be we see a long break on Russian players coming west.

Me, I'm kind of okay with the gamble as it feels like completely missing on 21OA doesn't change things that much for us but a massive hit might, but I might change my mind. Doesn't feel like a great situation there in terms of travel opening up.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
This is mainly my point of view, but at the same time, we don't really know when things are going to change there. Could be we see a long break on Russian players coming west.

Me, I'm kind of okay with the gamble as it feels like completely missing on 21OA doesn't change things that much for us but a massive hit might, but I might change my mind. Doesn't feel like a great situation there in terms of travel opening up.
I'll take a 50/50 shot at hitting on the next Tarasenko rather than a 100% chance of the next Joe Morrow.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
If the team's gonna draft a kid out of Russia, which I don't think they should straight up dismiss, they better do due diligence in making sure the kid's not some indoctrinated dumbass who is liable to be pulled back home via ties to that gov't or end up conscripted in Putin's next "war" (it's a genocide).

Reactions: HandshakeLine
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad