Nintendo Switch #5

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Started Paper Mario Origami King yesterday, really not digging it.

- The battle system pretty much sucks. It would've been way better as just a standard turn based system, instead of this whole puzzle thing.
- Everything is slow as shit. The battles, the dialogue, the movement, etc.
- The audio sounds cheap.

If this had been some indie type game with a gopher or something as the main character, no one would've bought this shit. But since it's Mario....

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside

- The battle system pretty much sucks. It would've been way better as just a standard turn based system, instead of this whole puzzle thing.

If this had been some indie type game with a gopher or something as the main character, no one would've bought this shit. But since it's Mario....

Try out Bug Fables if you're looking for a more "traditional" Paper Mario game:

Bug Fables: The Everlasting Sapling for Nintendo Switch - Nintendo Game Details

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

Yea the battle system is absolutely brutal. And trust me, the longer you play the worse and more boring it gets.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Haven't really cared for anything that's come out on the Switch for a while-- just wanted to say that Disco Elysium is absolutely brilliant based on what I've sampled so far, and I can't wait for that port. Best RPG in eons, IMO.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

This is a weird complaint. It absolutely does not sound cheap.

Congo Jack

is a big fat mess.
Jun 28, 2011
Candy Apple Island
Yea the battle system is absolutely brutal. And trust me, the longer you play the worse and more boring it gets.

I believe I got to the level with the Bob-omb ally and I just couldn't play anymore due to how dull the combat system was. I'll never understand why they won't just go back to the previous combat system from the TTYD era.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

I just don't understand Nintendo's insistence that the battle system be painfully awful and not the simple and effective system that the series soared with.

They don't even have the dumb handheld series to use as a convenient excuse anymore. I don't get it.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I just don't understand Nintendo's insistence that the battle system be painfully awful and not the simple and effective system that the series soared with.

They don't even have the dumb handheld series to use as a convenient excuse anymore. I don't get it.
TTYD's battle system was alright but it became very tedious as the game wore on. Late in the game you'd only fight enemies because there was no way around them, not because you wanted to. It also doesn't help that most of the partners are nigh-useless late in the game (any enemy with defense makes Yoshi unusable). Vivian and Bobbery were pretty much the only two I used for the majority of the game.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

I dont know how anyone in charge thought "Oh this battle system is so much fun, the players are going to love playing this for 20-40 hours!" It's just so horrible.

Reactions: robertmac43

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
New Pokemon Snap is basically pure nostalgia for me, straight to the vein.

I'm not even sure it's a good game by today's standards or not, but I love it.

Only thing missing is a grilled cheese and some hot tomato soup, or whatever the hell my mom made my 10 year old ass back then, lol

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Cyber Shadow - 3.5 (Great)

Just beat Cyber Shadow, which seems divisive, and I liked it more than something like The Messenger, personally. It's less flashy, gimmicky and modernized, but it nails a feeling of tasteful minimalism that captures the spirit of its influences in a way that The Messenger doesn't (the self-awareness and subversion of the latter felt obnoxious, confused, all over the place and too desperate to impress to me).

Cyber Shadow limits itself in a way that might feel underwhelming to some (most throwback indies have this attitude of "old games suck, but what if they were good?" whereas this is more "NES games were good as they were, but here are some generous checkpoints"), but what's there is handled with grace and care, IMO. Its 8 bit style looks simplistically appealing rather than garish and ugly, the chip-tunes sound satisfying in a way that doesn't become grating over time, and mechanics/level designs are well thought out (but again, limited in a way that might piss people off). Progression occasionally loops back to areas where clever secrets can naturally be discovered while remaining a strictly linear, methodical action experience rather than getting too fancy and trying to half-ass a Metroidvania and stumbling along the way. The story is kind of a nonsensical vehicle for gameplay and cutscenes, and it isn't bloated with obnoxious meta-humor (in case it wasn't obvious, playing this made me think of a lot of things that I didn't like about The Messenger).

The difficulty is more forgiving than I expected-- its checkpoint system allows anyone persistent to complete it without too much of a headache. Bosses become borderline easy once you figure them out, and it feels like a game that encourages and benefits from speed-running (the endless dash strike -> double jump combo is really addictive). I actually found myself having a greater appreciation for Ninja Gaiden and Shadow of the Ninja after playing this.

Rough Nintendo Switch Preferences
5.0 - Hollow Knight
5.0 - Celeste
5.0 - Inside
4.5 - Into the Breach
4.5 - Downwell
4.5 - Kentucky Route Zero
4.0 - Super Street Fighter II Turbo (30th Anniversary)
3.5 - Cyber Shadow
3.5 - Super Mario Galaxy (3D All Stars)

<I'm expecting Hades to be somewhere around here>
3.0 - Tetris 99
3.0 - Bomb Chicken
2.5 - Limbo
2.5 - Breath of the Wild
2.5 - Baba is You
2.0 - Cadence of Hyrule
2.0 - Hyper Light Drifter
2.0 - Undertale
2.0 - Super Mario Odyssey
2.0 - Panzer Paladin
1.5 - Katana Zero
1.5 - Super Meat Boy
1.5 - Cuphead
1.5 - Sonic Mania
1.5 - Crypt of the Necrodancer
1.5 - Tropical Freeze
1.5 - Shovel Knight
1.5 - Wargroove
1.5 - Link's Awakening
1.5 - The Messenger
1.0 - Axiom Verge
1.0 - Dead Cells
1.0 - Super Smash Bros Ultimate
1.0 - Stardew Valley
1.0 - Scourgebringer
0.5 - Octopath Traveller

Last edited:
Reactions: sa cyred

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Square isn't going to let Mario RPG go for free, there's a reason there's no Square games on NSO.

As for Earthbound, I do have to wonder if something's up with that. They could buy some goodwill by translating the old FE games instead.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Still playing Xenoblade 2. Games really good but the “wow” factor has worn off. The regular battles take too long and u can easily put in hundreds of hours. You’ll try to do some quest and end up picking up 4 along the way, and fight a bunch of enemies in the process. Before you know it, you haven’t done shit.

And the leveling seems to make little to no difference. I’m currently level 61 fighting enemies that are 42 and it still takes too long to kill them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad