Nintendo Switch #5

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
It's hilarious to me that every other major studio whether movies or video games goes and tries to get as much hype as possible for upcoming releases in their events. You even have pre-trailers for an actual trailer.:laugh:

But Nintendo: "We're going to have our first major preview event of the year tomorrow. It's going to be 50 minutes, buts it's just going to be Smash and stuff."

Now maybe there will be some cool stuff announced but it feels like Nintendo sure doesn't want you to get too excited.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
It said first half of 2021 so I wouldn't expect any thing huge to come out but I'd like some more Zelda trailers and maybe release date, same with Metroid. Maybe some news about anything coming out for Zelda 35th anniversary.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Sort of unpopular opinion-- While I love the aesthetic and music of old school RPGs (and this iteration of the backgrounds look WAAAYY cooler than Octopath Traveller, IMO), I'm always skeptical of these retro throwbacks, because turn-based RPG systems/mechanics were never really the primary draw for me (at their best they're just kinda alright and modestly clever, but typically, they were really just a nuisance that you just put up with to progress the narrative)-- The minimalist storytelling charm was, and these modern throwbacks tend to throw back to a time BEFORE RPG storytelling got good for some reason, back when they were more concerned with collecting crystals than being ambitious with its scope and writing. Octopath Traveler and the first Bravely Default were kind of awful in that respect, in my view-- and the narrative for this one sounds concerningly similar. Undertale at least somewhat captured the Earthbound meta-quirkiness. But what I really want is a throwback retro indie RPG to reflect the depth of stuff like FFVI-IX/Tactics, Mother 3, Chrono Trigger, or Terranigma.

I'm hoping that Sea of Stars will be more interesting-- looks really cool so far.
4-APPROVED.png

What did you think of Lost Sphear and I Am Sestuna? I found them both fun but neither really grabbed me. I played the demo of Octopath and it showed me enough that I shouldn't bother with the full game.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It's hilarious to me that every other major studio whether movies or video games goes and tries to get as much hype as possible for upcoming releases in their events. You even have pre-trailers for an actual trailer.:laugh:

But Nintendo: "We're going to have our first major preview event of the year tomorrow. It's going to be 50 minutes, buts it's just going to be Smash and stuff."

Now maybe there will be some cool stuff announced but it feels like Nintendo sure doesn't want you to get too excited.
Smash is going to be a trailer which will take up only a few minutes of the 50.

Hell I wouldn't be shocked if there was a trailer then Sakurai did a presentation immediately after.

Considering how the only first party game with a release date right now is Pokemon Snap, I suspect there's going to be a lot of announcements.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I will metaphorically riot if there's no BotW news in tomorrow's direct. I'll take even just a name drop.

And news of a new Direct is as good of a reason as any for a new topic, so moved the past few posts from here:

Nintendo Switch #4: More than 1 year later
They're focusing on games in the first half of 2021, so BOTW2 is very unlikely to be there. Seems more of an E3 thing.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
If there's no BOTW 2 news then i'll have serious doubts that the game is coming out anytime in 2021.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Seeing some rumours that there might be new Mario Kart tomorrow....If there is I will lose it.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Would expect the Switch version of Genshin Impact to get a date. Maybe Umurangi Generation and/or Disco Elysium as well.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I hope I'm wrong, but expecting the new Smash character to be a Pokemon rep.

Also hoping for a Monolith Soft announcement.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I hope I'm wrong, but expecting the new Smash character to be a Pokemon rep.
I think you will be right here. I wonder if it will be something from the most recent gen, or if we get a Diamond/Pearl pokemon and an announcement of the remakes.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
They're focusing on games in the first half of 2021, so BOTW2 is very unlikely to be there. Seems more of an E3 thing.

I know, and I'm fully expecting a Zelda 35 specific direct in the coming months, but they have to give at least a tiny little taste of it. I'll accept even just a name drop, not expecting a massive gameolay trailer or release date.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Alright, Smash only took 5 minutes... That gives me hope something cool is going to happen.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
at least I got one prediction right

Some predictions for other DLC characters

- Xenoblade 2 rep (some combination of Rex/Pyra/Mythra, could be all 3 depending on how they design it)
- Paper Mario rep (I honestly don't know enough about the series to guess, but seems like a big Nintendo game this year)
- Crash (need some big 3rd party hype, completing the trio of Mario/Sonic/Crash for mid-90's platformers, Crash 4 announced)

Super Smash Bros Ultimate (10.0 + Sephiroth)

I love Xenoblade, like playing sword characters and think the character swap mechanic looks cool so I'm excited. Tho I can imagine a lot of people cringing at yet another anime swordie

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Project Triangle Strategy definitely needs a new game but it looks good. I was a big Octopath fan when that first came out and this looks like it will scratch that itch.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
They've packaged the 3 worst 3D Ninja Gaiden games into one Switch compilation....

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
*riots*

But hey, maybe Skyward Sword won't completely suck with a decent control scheme.

Oh... two joycon controllers. Pass.... oh hey, with traditional controls after all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad