Nintendo Switch #5

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
after i beat breath of the wild, what should I focus on next>?

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

Bravely Default getting decent reviews. If you are a JRPG fan this is definitely a must have. I'll be getting it.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

Bravely Default getting decent reviews. If you are a JRPG fan this is definitely a must have. I'll be getting it.

I bought the original BD and didn't even finish it. I don't mind a grind but BD was a mind numbing grind even with the battle speed up. Like there's an option to turn down enemy encounters but that's a stupid feature since you need to grind battle after mindless battle just to advance in the story. Only was I'd consider picking up the sequel is if level advancement feels more natural.
Mario Odyssey or Fire Emblem 3 Houses would be my suggestions.

+1 On Three Houses. One of the best games on the system. Only knock I'd give is the academy tasks get really old after two playthroughs and can make trying to play all four story paths a slog. Hope the follow up which has to be in the works either doesn't have this or a similar feature or allows you to bypass it on replays.

Mario Odyssey I'd recommend but on sale. Personally, I appreciate the changes to the formula but the individual levels just really didn't grab me that much.
I've been trying to do the Pantheon of Hallownest in Hollow Knight and having to deal with
Nightmare King Grimm without being full health after 48 boss fights
is absolutely brutal. Game's endlessly addicting, though.

Lol I really want to get in and stay into Hollow Knight but I've been stuck not knowing where to go and not wanting to refer to a YouTube walkthrough. Every time I try to pick it up again I wander the map for like an hour, failing to find where I'm supposed to go or what I'm supposed to do next and giving up. I know that's part of the metroidvania format but I've tried several times and keep failing to advance.
bought a game yesterday without reading reviews......love strat games like Civilization so I picked up tropic 6 on a whim as it was on sale...…….guess there was a reason..what a terrible port with the worst graphics I have seen on my switch thus far smh. oh well lesson learned..read reviews lol.

I tried one of those games when it was a PS+ freebie. Lasted all of fifteen minutes before I lost interest and uninstalled. Don't think you're missing much.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
I tried one of those games when it was a PS+ freebie. Lasted all of fifteen minutes before I lost interest and uninstalled. Don't think you're missing much.

I enjoyed Tropico 5 on ps4 as it was robust with outstanding graphics etc. this port is just trash, graphics look like I am playing on an Atari.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
+1 On Three Houses. One of the best games on the system. Only knock I'd give is the academy tasks get really old after two playthroughs and can make trying to play all four story paths a slog. Hope the follow up which has to be in the works either doesn't have this or a similar feature or allows you to bypass it on replays.
Saving at certain times (before the big choice on the Black Eagles route and before the marriage decision near the end of the game) can cut down a lot of play time depending on how much of the game you want to experience.

It's definitely more of a slog on the first couple playthroughs if you're trying to recruit everyone but NG+ makes that a cinch.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Saving at certain times (before the big choice on the Black Eagles route and before the marriage decision near the end of the game) can cut down a lot of play time depending on how much of the game you want to experience.

It's definitely more of a slog on the first couple playthroughs if you're trying to recruit everyone but NG+ makes that a cinch.
It makes it a cinch but if you play at a higher difficulty it extends your game time and any academy sluggishness still drags your playtime. I've been struggling to work up the desire to finish Claude's route on hard almost entirely because of the school stuff. You still have to level grind.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It makes it a cinch but if you play at a higher difficulty it extends your game time and any academy sluggishness still drags your playtime. I've been struggling to work up the desire to finish Claude's route on hard almost entirely because of the school stuff. You still have to level grind.
That's fair, I never went above normal but I want to someday.

Reactions: Gecklund

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Started playing Breath of the Wild today - I've had it in my backlog since I got my Switch about a year ago, but for some reason it was daunting to start (I ended up prioritizing Mario Odyssey, Link's Awakening, Luigi's Mansion 3, etc. before). Just beat the first few shrines to get the glider, but can already tell I'm going to enjoy this game. The art style and scope is amazing, surprised so few other games look this impressive and run this smoothly on the Switch.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Started playing Breath of the Wild today - I've had it in my backlog since I got my Switch about a year ago, but for some reason it was daunting to start (I ended up prioritizing Mario Odyssey, Link's Awakening, Luigi's Mansion 3, etc. before). Just beat the first few shrines to get the glider, but can already tell I'm going to enjoy this game. The art style and scope is amazing, surprised so few other games look this impressive and run this smoothly on the Switch.

It's a masterpiece

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Normal seems way too easy. With the amount of long-range magic the game gives you, I didn't have much trouble until the last third of the game on hard.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Normal seems way too easy. With the amount of long-range magic the game gives you, I didn't have much trouble until the last third of the game on hard.
I wouldn't say it was particularly easy or anything but it did make runs last a lot longer and I definitely needed to level grind. At least to the point I got to.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I wouldn't say it was particularly easy or anything but it did make runs last a lot longer and I definitely needed to level grind. At least to the point I got to.
If you have enough points from a previous playthrough you can advance the skill levels of your units and, for instance, have Dorothea meteor opponents on the very first map.

I don't know if anyone's bought the DLC, but Constance completely breaks the game with her long range magic. And I mean loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
The 4k sounds impressive but im guessing that just means it supports the output, like how the PS5 and Xbox Series consoles support 8k. The current switch only outputs 1080p.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
The 4k sounds impressive but im guessing that just means it supports the output, like how the PS5 and Xbox Series consoles support 8k. The current switch only outputs 1080p.

Right and is anyone really expecting a 4K gaming experience from Nintendo? I’m not.

Talked about this a few months ago but if you also factor in a huge disregard for pumping out AAA titles, it’d be hard for me to justify another $400 purchase when the content just doesn’t seem to be there.

Reactions: CPTN71 and Seedtype

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad