The Burdened

May 1, 2017
we're going on almost 8-years since the last new mario kart :/
there have been 2 smash bros games in that time

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
we're going on almost 8-years since the last new mario kart :/
there have been 2 smash bros games in that time
We can only hope that one of the titles that they are "hard at work at" as they said, is the new Mario Kart.
However, we have to remember that they had released Mario Kart Live Circuit last year, which I know is NOT a continuation of the Mario Kart games in general, but I wonder how much that game set back to have a 9th installment being released.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I'm starting to think we won't get the new Mario Kart game until the next generation Nintendo system, which is a frustrating thought.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
MK8D is the highest selling game on the console, no reason to move forward.
Yeah, I also don't feel like if they tried to make the next one, it would be all that different from 8 anyways, unless they go really bold and different with the direction (which is unlikely, to say the least).

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Lots of games on sale from my wish list: Limbo ($2), Gato Roboto ($4), Red Faction Guerrilla ($7.50), Metro 2033 Redux ($8.75), Cities Skylines ($10), and Kentucky Route Zero ($15).

[all in USD]

If my dang tax refund would ever come back I'd buy all of them. As it is now, I don't think I'll buy Red Faction or Metro 2033.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I'm very curious about Gato Roboto. The style grabs me perfectly (visually, it looks much better to me than 8 bit inspired games), but I keep getting the impression that there's not a lot to it, from what other people say.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I'm very curious about Gato Roboto. The style grabs me perfectly (visually, it looks much better to me than 8 bit inspired games), but I keep getting the impression that there's not a lot to it, from what other people say.

That's one of the games I bought. I've only played ~10 minutes so far but will let you know what I think of it. Supposedly it's a 3 hour game and for $4, I'm okay with that.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
MK8D is the highest selling game on the console, no reason to move forward.
This is completely backwards; if anything, that should mean they'd want to prioritize releasing a new MarioKart.

Seeing as there is not going to be a new Mario Kart until probably 2023 at the earliest, that means there will have been 2 Smash Bros games, 2 Breath of the Wild games, 3 Splatoon games etc released in that time. All of those franchises are juggernauts.

it's long overdue.

Reactions: robertmac43

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
Those numbers are likely inflated from the MK8 Console deal.
probably slightly inflated, but Mario Kart was the best selling Wii U game, best selling Wii game (WiiSports was bundled), 2nd best selling GC game, and best selling N64 (Mario was bundled).

point is, given how big of a seller MK always is, it feels like they are too caught up in Smash and Zelda mania and have ignored MarioKart for far too long.

just reaffirms the idea that "The MK8 Port has sold a lot! Why would they make another for Switch that wuld be dumb?" is completely illogical.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
This is completely backwards; if anything, that should mean they'd want to prioritize releasing a new MarioKart.

Seeing as there is not going to be a new Mario Kart until probably 2023 at the earliest, that means there will have been 2 Smash Bros games, 2 Breath of the Wild games, 3 Splatoon games etc released in that time. All of those franchises are juggernauts.

it's long overdue.
It is long overdue but the game continues to sell like hotcakes and anyone with MK8D might not invest in MK9 unless it pushes the series forward (which it likely isn't going to).

Reactions: robertmac43

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I doubt we see Mario Kart 9 until the next platform.

It sucks they didn't keep up content for 8 though. You could increase its shelf life even more with some more track packs.

Smash is really the only Nintendo game that has been decent with post-launch content.

Animal Crossing has been almost totally abandoned which was really disappointing.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I've never been a fan of the "long overdue" or even "demand" argument, personally. To me, it feels more like they've taken Mario Kart to about the limit of what they wanted to do with it (even though I don't particularly love that direction), so I don't even really see much of a point in a sequel, really (especially not if the reason is just "because people are willing to buy it"). I'd love for them to take the game in a completely different direction, but that's probably not going to happen, and the franchise is a pretty limited premise to begin with, IMO.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I've never been a fan of the "long overdue" or even "demand" argument, personally. To me, it feels more like they've taken Mario Kart to about the limit of what they wanted to do with it (even though I don't particularly love that direction), so I don't even really see much of a point in a sequel, really (especially not if the reason is just "because people are willing to buy it"). I'd love for them to take the game in a completely different direction, but that's probably not going to happen, and the franchise is a pretty limited premise to begin with, IMO.

Yeah admittedly not a huge MK fan but I’ve played the newest one and just about all of them. Is there really a NEED for a new game?

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
This has captured my interest. Also currently playing through Panzer Paladin, and this developer/publisher is suddenly very much on my radar (they're doing that Shredder's Revenge thing too, but beat'em-ups interest me less).

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I'm all for a Switch Pro, but I wish Nintendo would think about developing a Nintendo VR system. Their franchises are all pretty much in top form, but also feeling kind of maxed out. VR would be a wild way to re-invent every single property they have, not to mention a great way to bring back some classic games.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I'm all for a Switch Pro, but I wish Nintendo would think about developing a Nintendo VR system. Their franchises are all pretty much in top form, but also feeling kind of maxed out. VR would be a wild way to re-invent every single property they have, not to mention a great way to bring back some classic games.

I can't see Nintendo doing VR until hardware costs fall dramatically. Nintendo isn't willing to take a loss on console sales like Sony and MS do at times. So I'd think a Nintendo VR system would either suffer from low hardware specs (which while normally fine for them would provide a bad experience in VR), or it'd be really expensive which would be a big risk for them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad