Friedman: Leafs shopping Petan

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
This is the type of player I'd like to see Holland put into Edmonton's bottom six. Get rid of Khaira, I'd trade them one for one for the sake of contracts.

Petan and Gagner makes our bottom six have a little bit of offense in it.
A little bit would be a comfortable improvement and we wouldn't be sacrificing any penalty killers to do so.

Then if we see one of those two pull a Chiasson or Maroon, we have room for Haas in the bottom six.

Khaira for Petan is something I'm comfortable looking at.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I can't believe there is somebody actually hitching their cart to the Lindholm train. Like... if you just want to spew blind hate and troll Leaf fans, fine, but dear god, please pick something better than Lindholm. That's just embarrassing. He's literally the most useless player I've ever seen in my life, and I watched Leaf games for the last decade.
I’ve already ordered his jersey, that beautiful spoked B.

Lindholm the most useless player? ... so you’ve never even watched Nic Petan? :laugh:

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
They both aren't relevant enough to even talk about, let alone bash a GM for, but Lindholm is a worse player.
Ha. I just find it funny they’re now trying to ‘shop’ him because they know he’s useless in the NHL and they don’t want him on the Marlies.

While Lindholm is a plug, he’s at least an NHL plug that could be useful in the event of injury or suspension.

Petan will help your AHL PP, maybe.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Ha. I just find it funny they’re now trying to ‘shop’ him because they know he’s useless in the NHL and they don’t want him on the Marlies.
No, it's because they know he can be an NHL player on a less deep team, and want to give him a chance at an NHL career.

It has absolutely nothing to do with them not wanting him in the AHL.

While Lindholm is a plug, he’s at least an NHL plug that could be useful in the event of injury or suspension.
He is not an NHL player. He is not useful in any situation.

This is embarrassing. Stop while you're behind. :facepalm:

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017

Petan will help your AHL PP, maybe.
The leafs have better options. It signals that Tima and Shore have won the 4th line winger job over Spezza and Petan. Now, they would like to find a place for Petan.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
No, it's because they know he can be an NHL player on a less deep team, and want to give him a chance at an NHL career.

It has absolutely nothing to do with them not wanting him in the AHL.

He is not an NHL player. He is not useful in any situation.

This is embarrassing. Stop while you're behind. :facepalm:
So you think Nic Petan will be an NHL player on another team eventually? If that’s the case, there’s probably a few bets I’d like to make with you.

Lindholm is currently an NHL player based on the discretion of the Boston Bruins. The reigning Eastern Conference champions. It appears they value him in the same role I’d suggested he was perfect for; a versatile depth forward.

It also appears nobody really thinks Nic Petan fits on their NHL roster.

Take that for what it’s worth.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
In your opinion. Babcock liked him. I like him.

You’ve used the word possession which makes it clear how you evaluate and pretty clear how unclear you are on the role of a 4th line player on Mike Babcock’s team.
So just to be clear you think it is good when a player is on the ice....and the other team has the puck, all the time? Like this isn't rocket science. He is bad at pretty much everything involved with playing hockey. Me being a Leaf fan I have a hard time seeing how you can say I am "stat sheet watching". I literally watch every Leaf game. It is okay to admit your wrong. Lindholm sucks. Petan sucks. I don't know why you are arguing that Lindholm provides value.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
The leafs have better options. It signals that Tima and Shore have won the 4th line winger job over Spezza and Petan. Now, they would like to find a place for Petan.
Full credit to Dubas for the Nick Shore signing. He’s a better version of Lindholm and offers that coveted RH PK’er and faceoff man they were sorely lacking.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
So you think Nic Petan will be an NHL player on another team eventually?
I don't know and I don't care. Again, they aren't relevant enough to talk or think about.

Both are probably in Europe within a year or two, but Petan likely ends up with more NHL games.

Lindholm is currently an NHL player based on the discretion of the Boston Bruins.
By that logic, so is Petan.

Lindholm is not an NHL player.

The reigning Eastern Conference champions.
You keep saying this like it means something. Boston made the SCF because of a historically unheard of PP%, while mysteriously becoming the most "disciplined" team in hockey, in complete contrast to the regular season.

This has nothing to do with Lindholm.

It appears they value him in the same role I’d suggested he was perfect for; a versatile depth forward.
He's been scratched for half of their games and is only in because of injuries.

It also appears nobody really thinks Nic Petan fits on their NHL roster.
You have no basis to make this claim, not that it matters anyway. Petan and Lindholm have played a similar number of games.

This is literally the most stupid anti-Leaf/Dubas narrative I've seen, and I've seen some doozies.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Petan will never be a Nhl player! Babcock didnt liked the trade, Lindholm are a cheap useful C depht, pk and Fo!

Dubas gave away C depht for a lucky bean, Chiarelli also tried to look smart when dug in waiver dumps!

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Petan will never be a Nhl player!
Except he's literally played more NHL games and is 4 years younger.

Babcock didnt liked the trade
This is completely unsubstantiated.

Lindholm are a cheap useful C depht, pk and Fo!
Lindholm is not useful.
Lindholm is not a good C, and Leaf would have countless players ahead of him at C.
Lindholm is not a good PKer.
Lindholm is not good at faceoffs.

Lindholm is literally useless at everything.

Dubas gave away C depht for a lucky bean
Dubas traded away a useless player soon to be UFA that was hindering his team for a cost-controlled RFA with potential to improve, who provided no downside if he didn't improve.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Except he's literally played more NHL games and is 4 years younger.

This is completely unsubstantiated.

Lindholm is not useful.
Lindholm is not a good C, and Leaf would have countless players ahead of him at C.
Lindholm is not a good PKer.
Lindholm is not good at faceoffs.

Lindholm is literally useless at everything.

Dubas traded away a useless player soon to be UFA that was hindering his team for a cost-controlled RFA with potential to improve, who provided no downside if he didn't improve.
Petan is an AHL player, but at least I’ve heard of him. Who is this Lindholm guy? ECHLer?
Send Petan to the Marlies. Is he waiver eligible?

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Another example of dubas great negotiating skills. Last contract jets gave petan was a 2way 1 year deal. Dubas signs him to 1way 2 year contract. Brilliant. Maybe he got the numbers mixed before he offered petan the contract

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I don't know and I don't care. Again, they aren't relevant enough to talk or think about.

Both are probably in Europe within a year or two, but Petan likely ends up with more NHL games.

By that logic, so is Petan.

Lindholm is not an NHL player.

You keep saying this like it means something. Boston made the SCF because of a historically unheard of PP%, while mysteriously becoming the most "disciplined" team in hockey, in complete contrast to the regular season.

This has nothing to do with Lindholm.

He's been scratched for half of their games and is only in because of injuries.

You have no basis to make this claim, not that it matters anyway. Petan and Lindholm have played a similar number of games.

This is literally the most stupid anti-Leaf/Dubas narrative I've seen, and I've seen some doozies.
There is a thread on Petan that you’re participating in? :laugh:

When a team is trying to move a player, the trade he was apart of less than a year ago is relevant to the discussion?

From a coaches perspective - if you’re heading into the playoffs, wouldn’t you prefer Lindholm as your 13th fwd over Petan?

If your answer is yes, you can understand why I think Dubas’ logic was highly questionable.

I said nobody wants Petan because he cleared waivers. I think it’s fair that if anyone really thought he could play they would have taken him. If he gets moved now, it’s likely a positional depth swap.

I’m not anti Leaf or anti Dubas. I like the Leafs and I try to objectively assess the moves the GM has made on not only outcome, but the logic that went into it. Some are good ideas and don’t work out, others have different intentions and end up working well. (Referring to when the Raptors traded Rudy Gay to tank and the jags in return created the first bench mob and had the opposite effect)

This was always going to have minimal impact but the logic is completely egregious. Likewise with the Garrett Sparks ordeal last season. Two real head scratchers in less than two years is kind of concerning to me.

The fact the Leafs are now ‘shopping’ Nic Petan is icing on the cake.

That’s my $0.02. Have a nice day! ;)

Last edited:

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Who is this Lindholm guy? ECHLer?
He's some 28-year old European player who got signed by the Leafs last year.

He was pretty small, he didn't hit or block anything, he got caved in on possession, he had no puck skills or hands or vision, he has 1 career goal, he was one of the Leaf's worst PKers, he wasn't good at face-offs, or literally anything else, and now some anti-Leaf trolls have made him the hill they want to die on.

He passed through waivers at the beginning of the season and cleared, so he can move up and down freely for the next week or two, but after that he requires waivers. Leafs are trying to do right by him and see if they can find him an NHL roster spot, since the Leafs had multiple players step up and play well in depth roles this year.

Reactions: Luckylarry

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I think he could get a 7th from a team since he can be sent up and down. A team with injuries may find some value in him. He's been decent in a depth scoring role, but we don't need those types of players.

Had Timashov not been an unexpected surprise, he likely would have been in our lineup full time with Hyman out due to injury.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
He’s a player I’d hang on to until Hyman comes back. Although the x-rays were negative for Johnsson last night, the injuries are piling up right now and Petan is good depth insurance.

He’s been much better this year and has at least shown some flashes of offence in the bottom six. He’ll always be a tweener but there’s value for a team with limited depth (ie Edmonton, Buffalo, etc.). Mid-late round pick would suffice.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Petan is an AHL player, but at least I’ve heard of him. Who is this Lindholm guy? ECHLer?

Lindholm playing his 2 season in Nhl, played for multible Shl champions Skelleftea a late bloomer never in Wjc but has played 1n OG and about 20 national team games, Babcock dressed him 61 times his rookie season!

Petan has dressed for 20 games last 2 seasons while Lindholm have about 70 games!

Petan is a smurf and been tried out in the Nhl for years and never last,!

Lindholm

"Very versatile forward who contributes at both ends. Very smart player"., Rikard Grönborg (Sweden HC) 2018

"He is a center who could lead a 4th line in the NHL, but also contribute on special teams. Pär can be used in any situation, Peter Wallén (agent) 2018"

Good C depht and still learning in his 2 season!

Reactions: Luckylarry

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
From a coaches perspective - if you’re heading into the playoffs, wouldn’t you prefer Lindholm as your 13th fwd over Petan?
No.

I said nobody wants Petan because he cleared waivers.
Players don't often get claimed at the beginning of the season, especially ones with 2 years on their contract. That doesn't mean he wouldn't be played on a lot of teams, and it says nothing about his quality relative to Lindholm.

I’m not anti Leaf or anti Dubas.
There is no justifiable reason to have the position you do if you weren't. You're embarrassing yourself.

I like the Leafs and I try to objectively assess the moves the GM has made on not only outcome, but the logic that went into it.
Then you wouldn't have a problem with trading a useless player who was about to be UFA and added nothing to the team for cheap, young, cost-controlled depth.

Likewise with the Garrett Sparks ordeal last season.
Giving the young, home-grown, Calder-cup winning, AHL goalie of the year a chance over the 35-year old career backup coming off an unsustainable year is the logical move.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Lindholm was absolute trash in a leafs uniform. Straight up scrub. Winnipeg barely played him and let him go immediately. Why is he even being brought up.

It was pretty much a scrub for scrub trade at the time. Nothing more to it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad