Friedman: Leafs shopping Petan

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Ya, that Brassard contract is just brutal. Lou with yet another blunder trying to sign older veteran plugs

??? Are you confused on Brassard's contract? It's 1 year for 1.25m, lol. Brassard as a player is brutal, but that contract is an absolutely show me contract....nobody will care about it in 7 months and it does nothing to the Isles cap. LL can be criticized for not finding a NHL quality 3rd C, but not for some 1 year show me contract.

Reactions: Steeler23

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Giving him a shot literally cost nothing. Becoming committed to a player that isn't working out would be an error, but he didn't do that. He turned it into another potential positive.

He's below 50% in his career, and even worse in high-impact situations.
Except a player that would have been in their lineup in the playoffs when Kadri got suspended.

It’s only your opinion that the player didn’t work out. Based on the coach’s deployment of him and willingness to move him up in the lineup, it’s hard to argue he wasn’t well liked.

This is the first year he’s been below 50 and it’s weighted by a 4 game sample that’ll normalize. Can you please post these “high impact situations” because you’ve already made several comments that are misleading or completely untrue.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
No, it isn't people took issue with claiming that somehow Dubas is incompetent because of the trade: "
Career 5th liner. Waste of a roster spot.

How many times can you pick an AHL player over an NHL player and still be considered competent? Kyle Dubas has done it twice already."​
Aren’t I entitled to my opinion?

I think the GM’s lack of experience shows on almost every moves he’s made but this one and the backup goalie were the most egregious. I think it’s inexcusable to not be able to tell the difference between AHL quality and NHL quality when it’s so blatantly obvious.

Good thing he has Babcock to go spot talent like Mikheyev in Europe. They probably don’t track Corsi in English so Dubas wouldn’t know what to look for.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Aren’t I entitled to my opinion?

I think the GM’s lack of experience shows on almost every moves he’s made but this one and the backup goalie were the most egregious. I think it’s inexcusable to not be able to tell the difference between AHL quality and NHL quality when it’s so blatantly obvious.

Good thing he has Babcock to go spot talent like Mikheyev in Europe. They probably don’t track Corsi in English so Dubas wouldn’t know what to look for.
Of course you are entitled to your opinion. Others are entitled to theirs. Babcock and Dubas work together.
Mikheyev was signed by Dubas.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Except a player that would have been in their lineup in the playoffs when Kadri got suspended.
1. You don't know this. Unsubstantiated claim.
2. Even if true, it makes moving him an even better move because Moore and Ennis are both far superior players. Lindholm should not see a second of playoff time. Or regular season for that matter.

It’s only your opinion that the player didn’t work out.
No, it's literal fact.

Based on the coach’s deployment of him and willingness to move him up in the lineup, it’s hard to argue he wasn’t well liked.
He was one of the least played players on the Leafs. Leafs didn't want him and traded him.
Fans all hated him.
Winnipeg got him and scratched him for almost all of their games and didn't want to re-sign him.
Boston, his 3rd team in a year, signed him and then made him a healthy scratch.

"well-liked" :laugh:

This is the first year he’s been below 50 and it’s weighted by a 4 game sample that’ll normalize.
"First year", lmao. He is 4 games into the 2nd year of his career. :facepalm:

He was 1 face-off above 0.500 last year. Yes, literally 1 face-off. He was 7th out of the Leaf's 8 face-off players last year.

He brings nothing to the table face-off-wise. He brings nothing to the table period.

Can you please post these “high impact situations”
He is below 0.500 in the defensive zone, and shorthanded, and when the game is close.

because you’ve already made several comments that are misleading or completely untrue.
I have said absolutely nothing that is misleading or untrue.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
1. You don't know this. Unsubstantiated claim.
2. Even if true, it makes moving him an even better move because Moore and Ennis are both far superior players. Lindholm should not see a second of playoff time. Or regular season for that matter.

No, it's literal fact.

He was one of the least played players on the Leafs. Leafs didn't want him and traded him.
Fans all hated him.
Winnipeg got him and scratched him for almost all of their games and didn't want to re-sign him.
Boston, his 3rd team in a year, signed him and then made him a healthy scratch.

"well-liked" :laugh:

"First year", lmao. He is 4 games into the 2nd year of his career. :facepalm:

He was 1 face-off above 0.500 last year. Yes, literally 1 face-off. He was 7th out of the Leaf's 8 face-off players last year.

He brings nothing to the table face-off-wise. He brings nothing to the table period.

He is below 0.500 in the defensive zone, and shorthanded, and when the game is close.

I have said absolutely nothing that is misleading or untrue.
I’ve already addressed all of this. You’re clearly watching a different game and you’re only seeing it from a fans perspective.

That’s fine. Enjoy the games.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I think it’s inexcusable to not be able to tell the difference between AHL quality and NHL quality when it’s so blatantly obvious.
Yet here you are arguing endlessly in favour of clear AHL quality talent, despite it being blatantly obvious and supported by pretty much all statistics and facts. How dare you do something so inexcusable?

Dubas made the logical and correct decision in both circumstances. You disagreeing, with full hindsight and no justification no less, means absolutely nothing except we should all be glad you're not GM.

Good thing he has Babcock to go spot talent like Mikheyev in Europe.
Dubas signed Mikyehev. Dubas has proven himself to be extremely good at evaluating talent, and bringing in cheap depth players from overseas and FA.

They probably don’t track Corsi in English so Dubas wouldn’t know what to look for.
This just goes to show how clueless you are about Dubas.

I’ve already addressed all of this.
Nope. You just have nothing to support your position.

You’re clearly watching a different game and you’re only seeing it from a fans perspective.
I watched every single Leaf game with Lindholm in it, and it was easy to see how much he sucked. His statistics support this. He has been on 3 teams in a very short time period, and all either barely played him or scratched him for the majority of their games.

This has nothing to do with perspective. This has to do with facts. Lindholm is a useless player.

Enjoy the games.
Much easier without Lindholm screwing up every play.

Last edited:

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
No, only non nhler
Non Nhlers will be in a market governed by the same rules for all NHL teams. In addition to their league rules or transfer agreements. There are no separate markets for NHL teams.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
The Bigger issue is Hyman and Dermott are ready to return from injury reserve and Leafs are about $3mill over the cap. Waiving Pétan gets you to $2.2m over. So who else has to go?

4 players are going to need to be waived off the bottom end. Most likely Petan is 1, Marincin is another. And then one of Spezza / Shore are gone, and 1 more depth guy and they will be under by 10k.

HNIC did a piece on it Sat night. Just means they will be down to a 20 man roster.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Damn, that's a lot of pages for a guy who can't stick anywhere.

Ho-Sang for Petan!

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
4 players are going to need to be waived off the bottom end. Most likely Petan is 1, Marincin is another. And then one of Spezza / Shore are gone, and 1 more depth guy and they will be under by 10k.

HNIC did a piece on it Sat night. Just means they will be down to a 20 man roster.

Waiving 4 players would get us down to 21, which we should be able to afford. Cap friendly has us $900k under with 20 players. I would expect them to keep Marincin as the extra given that this team is far better suited to play with 11 forwards than it is with 5 D if the situation arises. And while Holl has impressed I bet Babcock would like to keep a safety blanket on hand just in case.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Yes, we know this is your position on Toronto, since you come stir the pot in every thread possible.

Or do you pretend you're a leaf lover who's only out to do justice to the big meany leafs fans who like their players too much?
Have I ever pretended that ?

Stir the pot ? Is that a new catch for trying to promote an intelligent and adult discussion ?

And yes, I'm aware that this is the equivalent of cleaning out the Augean stables...

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
He can go through waivers and is viable NHL depth on a cheap contract, could see a conditional 7th to send him straight to the A, pick transfers if he plays a game

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Damn, that's a lot of pages for a guy who can't stick anywhere.

Ho-Sang for Petan!

Pretty sure the TML would be happy to gain Ho-Sang for Petan. If he can prove something with the Marlies he may get a shot otherwise he walks at the end of the year.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
I think if you are going to pick up someone else's castoffs you should "go big or stay home". I knew he wouldn't work out the day we got him. Original mistake was getting Lindhom and then having to trade junk for more junk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->