Friedman: Leafs shopping Petan

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Lindholm is a good PK’er and has decent hands for a 4th liner.

Petan does nothing.

The coach liked him. He elevated Lindholm to play on Kadri’s wing on more than one occasion. It’s not garbage in for garbage out if one of the players is a useful NHL’er.

Dubas looks like a fool for this one.
He sucks. Lindholm would have gotten waived out of camp this year....Like Petan did.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
He sucks. Lindholm would have gotten waived out of camp this year....Like Petan did.
:laugh: Now you’re speculating.... He made the Bruins. Do they suck?

I think he’s more useful than Jason Spezza at this point.

End of the day, Dubas traded an NHL’er for a guy who can’t play.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

End of the day, Dubas traded an NHL’er for a guy who can’t play. That’s stupid no matter how the Dubas **** riders want to spin it.
I criticize Dubas when he does things deserving of blame(his contracts) I don't when he either does things good....or things that don't matter. I get it though for a lot of people when someone makes a bad move they then need to find a reason to hate literally everything the person does. It was a garbage in for garbage out move. How is he more useful then Spezza? Simply being able to kill penalties doesn't really matter, we have like 6 guys that can kill penalties, while also actually providing some semblance of value outside the penalty kill. You fight the good fight for the guy that's got 1 goal in 69 games...those hands though.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa

End of the day, Dubas traded an NHL’er for a guy who can’t play. That’s stupid, no matter how the Dubas **** riders want to spin it.
Lindholm has played four out of Boston's eight games. He's in their lineup right now because Krejci is injured. He made the Bruins, played two games, and then ate popcorn the next two weeks until Krejci got hurt.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Maybe a team like Ottawa or Minnesota will want to take a chance on him, he's got some skill. But we're talking second line in European leagues skill, he's theirs for free if they want him. Just pay his Megabus ticket.

That's right, not even Greyhound, Megabus.

david999

Jan 21, 2011
Petan is a more pure skilled player than Lindholm, who unfortunately is not the stereotypical 4th line winger type. On top of that, Babcock doesn’t like him as he is getting the Josh Leivo treatment. We all know Babcock would always default to a grinder over talent any day of the week.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I criticize Dubas when he does things deserving of blame(his contracts) I don't when he either does things good....or things that don't matter. I get it though for a lot of people when someone makes a bad move they then need to find a reason to hate literally everything the person does. It was a garbage in for garbage out move. How is he more useful then Spezza? Simply being able to kill penalties doesn't really matter, we have like 6 guys that can kill penalties, while also actually providing some semblance of value outside the penalty kill. You fight the good fight for the guy that's got 1 goal in 69 games...those hands though.
:laugh: the point is that he can do something. Petan can’t do anything. Petan couldn’t have gone in and centrered a line when Kadri got suspended, allowing the coach flexibility to shuffle lines and not be forced to use Nylander at centre.

Something > Nothing

You’re right, it’s an insignificant move, but another example of highly questionable decision making by Kyle Dubas.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Lindholm has played four out of Boston's eight games. He's in their lineup right now because Krejci is injured. He made the Bruins, played two games, and then ate popcorn the next two weeks until Krejci got hurt.
That’s the life of a 4th liner. Sometimes you’re on the outside looking in. Especially on a cup contender like Boston.

Point is, he’s with an NHL club thats proven to be a consistent contender for a decade. They see value in him. I do, too.

And Nic Petan already cleared waivers.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
That’s the life of a 4th liner. Sometimes you’re on the outside looking in. Especially on a cup contender like Boston.

Point is, he’s with an NHL club thats proven to be a consistent contender for a decade. They see value in him. I do, too.

And Nic Petan already cleared waivers.

And Brandon Leipsic has been waived and claimed twice in the last three years before finding some playing time in Washington this year. Waiver wire players who might have success on the fourth line somewhere don't have any value.

It's cool that you think Lindholm is better than Petan, but Lindholm has played one more game than Petan this year and that's only because the Bruins were hit with injuries first. They were both healthy scratches with their new teams after the trade and they are both healthy scratches/14th forwards on their teams this year.

I don't particularly care if you want to crap on Dubas or not, but calling him incompetent for trading a 14th forward for a different 14th forward is a very strange soap box to stand on. Lindholm sucks, Petan sucks, Leipsic sucks, who cares if they're 14th forwards on XYZ.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
I would take future considerations if Petan can go to a club that will give him a shot. I like seeing guys like Levio get a shot.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
And Brandon Leipsic has been waived and claimed twice in the last three years before finding some playing time in Washington this year. Waiver wire players who might have success on the fourth line somewhere don't have any value.

It's cool that you think Lindholm is better than Petan, but Lindholm has played one more game than Petan this year and that's only because the Bruins were hit with injuries first. They were both healthy scratches with their new teams after the trade and they are both healthy scratches/14th forwards on their teams this year.

I don't particularly care if you want to crap on Dubas or not, but calling him incompetent for trading a 14th forward for a different 14th forward is a very strange soap box to stand on. Lindholm sucks, Petan sucks, Leipsic sucks, who cares if they're 14th forwards on XYZ.
Leipsic was expansion draft so I’m not sure why he’s relevant? The organization did a great job sacrificing him instead of others.

You’re missing the point - regardless of how you view him, coaches love players like Lindholm. Smart organizations like Boston and Winnipeg want them in their 12-14 fwd group for their versatility. He can play on the third line in a pinch, he can take faceoffs, penalty kill, play both sides of the puck, play all 3 fwd positions etc. He’s a typical 4th line Swiss Army knife with slightly above average hands for the role. Nothing special, for sure... but where does a contending team use Nic Petan?

Answer: they don’t.

Nobody is standing on a soap box. Nic Petan is a constant reminder of another boneheaded Kyle Dubas decision, that’s all. Contenders load up with players like Lindholm while Dubas gave him up for a one dimensional fifth line winger. I can’t understand it for the life of me.

Nic Petan is not an NHL hockey player.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Leipsic was expansion draft so I’m not sure why he’s relevant? The organization did a great job sacrificing him instead of others.

You’re missing the point - regardless of how you view him, coaches love players like Lindholm. Smart organizations like Boston and Winnipeg want them in their 12-14 fwd group for their versatility. He can play on the third line in a pinch, he can take faceoffs, penalty kill, play both sides of the puck, play all 3 fwd positions etc. He’s a typical 4th line Swiss Army knife with slightly above average hands for the role. Nothing special, for sure... but where does a contending team use Nic Petan?

Nobody is standing on a soap box. Nic Petan is a constant reminder of another boneheaded Kyle Dubas decision, that’s all. Contenders load up with players like Lindholm while Dubas gave him up for a one dimensional fifth line winger. I can’t understand it for the life of me.

Contenders load up with players like Par Lindholm? Dear god. He played 4 games for the Jets after getting traded to them mid season. He isn't good at the things you think he is good at.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Contenders load up with players like Par Lindholm? Dear god. He played 4 games for the Jets after getting traded to them mid season. He isn't good at the things you think he is good at.
So you’re suggesting Nic Petan is more useful depth?

Lindholm isn’t special but Dubas’ thinking was severely flawed here. It became evident when Kadri got suspended and they didn’t have another NHL centre.

It was recycling for garbage, and the Leafs ended up with the garbage.

Reactions: McClelland

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
So you’re suggesting Nic Petan is more useful depth?

Lindholm isn’t special but Dubas’ thinking was severely flawed here. It became evident when Kadri got suspended and they didn’t have another NHL centre.

It was recycling for garbage, and the Leafs ended up with the garbage.
....Lindholm isn't an NHL calibre centre. He provides zero, like nothing offensively. He is scratch average on faceoffs and he is a possession black hole, like he gets absolutely filled in. He is a really bad hockey player and no Par Lindholm would not have "filled in" for Kadri. He would have gotten filled in I guess. Lindholm more then likely is back in Sweden within a year or so and Petan probably ends up in Europe as well.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa

Leipsic was waived by both Vegas and Vancouver, played a few games in LA and then was not re-signed. He now has a contract and is playing in Washington. One team's trash is another team's fourth liner. Lindholm has played 4 games in Boston, that is not actually a good indication that he has value around the league.

Par Lindholm has one goal and 13 points in 69 career games. Your team is completely sewered if he has to play on the third line or play on the offensive side of the puck at all. If he has above average hands, he sure as hell doesn't use them to generate any offense. Contending teams would hold on to players like Petan (and Leipsic) as depth and injury fill ins for scoring wingers. Unfortunately for Petan, he's not very good and was passed in the lineup by other guys like Timashov and Mikheyev.

I agree that Petan is not an NHL player and I expect him to play in Europe next year after having no takers in the NHL. But I cannot for the life of me understand why Par Lindholm is the reminder of a boneheaded decision. He barely played in Winnipeg at all after the trade and both teams effectively got nothing out of it. Boston has decided to give him a spot, but you're already crowing about his success about drawing into four games. It's cool if you want to blast Dubas for stuff, but I think that you're tripping over your agenda and forcing it into the conversation where it doesn't need to be. Petan sucks, that's where the story ends tbh.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
Lindholm is a good PK’er and has decent hands for a 4th liner.

Petan does nothing.

The coach liked him. He elevated Lindholm to play on Kadri’s wing on more than one occasion. It’s not garbage in for garbage out if one of the players is a useful NHL’er.

Dubas looks like a fool for this one.
"Decent hands"?
I think you are mixing up Lindholm with some other, better player.
In 61 games with the Leaf s Par "Decent hands" Lindholm had one goal when he was traded (he still only has one). Petan was able to match Lindholm's goal production in his first game as a Leaf.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
....Lindholm isn't an NHL calibre centre. He provides zero, like nothing offensively. He is scratch average on faceoffs and he is a possession black hole, like he gets absolutely filled in. He is a really bad hockey player and no Par Lindholm would not have "filled in" for Kadri. He would have gotten filled in I guess. Lindholm more then likely is back in Sweden within a year or so and Petan probably ends up in Europe as well.
In your opinion. Babcock liked him. I like him.

You’ve used the word possession which makes it clear how you evaluate and pretty clear how unclear you are on the role of a 4th line player on Mike Babcock’s team.
Leipsic was waived by both Vegas and Vancouver, played a few games in LA and then was not re-signed. He now has a contract and is playing in Washington. One team's trash is another team's fourth liner. Lindholm has played 4 games in Boston, that is not actually a good indication that he has value around the league.

Par Lindholm has one goal and 13 points in 69 career games. Your team is completely sewered if he has to play on the third line or play on the offensive side of the puck at all. If he has above average hands, he sure as hell doesn't use them to generate any offense. Contending teams would hold on to players like Petan (and Leipsic) as depth and injury fill ins for scoring wingers. Unfortunately for Petan, he's not very good and was passed in the lineup by other guys like Timashov and Mikheyev.

I agree that Petan is not an NHL player and I expect him to play in Europe next year after having no takers in the NHL. But I cannot for the life of me understand why Par Lindholm is the reminder of a boneheaded decision. He barely played in Winnipeg at all after the trade and both teams effectively got nothing out of it. Boston has decided to give him a spot, but you're already crowing about his success about drawing into four games. It's cool if you want to blast Dubas for stuff, but I think that you're tripping over your agenda and forcing it into the conversation where it doesn't need to be. Petan sucks, that's where the story ends tbh.
Untrue. I don’t like Dubas but I’m pretty objective with his decisions. I praised his acquisition of a better RH version in Nick Shore. I also like the Kapanen and Johnsson deals. While I don’t think it was the right deal, hard to argue with Kerfoot and Tyson Barrie at 2m.

I don’t have an agenda. I don’t understand Kyle Dubas’ philosophy.
"Decent hands"?
I think you are mixing up Lindholm with some other, better player.
In 61 games with the Leaf s Par "Decent hands" Lindholm had one goal when he was traded (he still only has one). Petan was able to match Lindholm's goal production in his first game as a Leaf.
Does Justin Holl have better hands/offensive tools than Victor Mete? One had two goals in his first two games, the other took like 160.

I have three people who look at stats sheets but can’t see this from a coaches perspective, apparently.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
In your opinion. Babcock liked him. I like him.

You’ve used the word possession which makes it clear how you evaluate and pretty clear how unclear you are on the role of a 4th line player on Mike Babcock’s team.

Untrue. I don’t like Dubas but I’m pretty objective with his decisions. I praised his acquisition of a better RH version in Nick Shore. I also like the Kapanen and Johnsson deals. While I don’t think it was the right deal, hard to argue with Kerfoot and Tyson Barrie at 2m.

I don’t have an agenda. I don’t understand Kyle Dubas’ philosophy.
Does Justin Holl have better hands/offensive tools than Victor Mete? One had two goals in his first two games, the other took like 160.

I have three people who look at stats sheets but can’t see this from a coaches perspective, apparently.

I have one person who believes that Par Lindholm has "Decent hands".

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I have one person who believes that Par Lindholm has "Decent hands".
If you’re saying he doesn’t have better hands and passing ability than a lot of 4th line players than I’d say we probably won’t find much common ground in hockey discussions.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I can't believe there is somebody actually hitching their cart to the Lindholm train. Like... if you just want to spew blind hate and troll Leaf fans, fine, but dear god, please pick something better than Lindholm. That's just embarrassing. He's literally the most useless player I've ever seen in my life, and I watched Leaf games for the last decade.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
If you’re saying he doesn’t have better hands and passing ability than a lot of 4th line players than I’d say we probably won’t find much common ground in hockey discussions.

Hey, what do you know, we can agree on something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad