Value of: Jonathan Toews for CGY

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
:flames Toews + Seabrook + 2 2nd Round picks
:hawks Markstrom, bennett and Monahan

I think Markstrom and Monahan (Toews replacement) would need to be in a deal regarding Toews going to the Flames. Monahan can slide into a 2c role with the hawks and both teams come out on top.

Mother of God that is awful. Salary isn't even close. The Flames give up their #1C, their new #1 goaltender, and their best playoff performer in order to take on arguably the worst contract in the league? For an aging Toews and two 2nd round picks?

Keep it simple.

Toews for Monahan, Lucic, and a 2nd.

Salary balances out, Chicago gets younger and picks up a 2nd round pick. Since their rebuilding the Lucic contract should be a non-issue.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Mother of God that is awful. Salary isn't even close. The Flames give up their #1C, their new #1 goaltender, and their best playoff performer in order to take on arguably the worst contract in the league? For an aging Toews and two 2nd round picks?

Keep it simple.

Salary balances out, Chicago gets younger and picks up a 2nd round pick. Since their rebuilding the Lucic contract should be a non-issue.
Do you really believe the Hawks take Lucic back in a trade for Toews? The price for Lucic is a first, plus the other pieces.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
When did I say the Oilers should go after Toews? This conversation is a complete joke. I haven’t even mentioned how bad your proposal was regardless of its preposterousness. I’m not going any further with this weird merry-go-round because it’s just utterly useless, welcome to the ignore button.
Lol k?

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Do you really believe the Hawks take Lucic back in a trade for Toews? The price for Lucic is a first, plus the other pieces.

Toews, at $10.5 million, has just as much dead cap on his contract as Lucic.

The contracts cancel out and the deal is basically 32 year old Toews for 26 year old Monahan and a 2nd.

If you want to get the same effect by retaining on Toews, you can drop Lucic out.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I am a Bruins fan, but I have to tell you if you can get a Toews or Kane on your team {or both} do it . They are winners and still have the drive to keep competitive , that is why they are pissed off with the front office for the moves they are making. teams like the Maple Leafs, the Oilers who have some young talent but do not know how to win could use these two guys. I know their age and contracts are negatives but if you want to take a run at a cup I can think of no better players than these guys. I also need to point out they do not miss a lot of time . I would love to see them play in Boston. The problem in todays game these front office types do not know how to be creative and know how to make something happen, and a lack of BALLS come into play. These GMs would rather throw money at these young players and when they don't win blame them for under performing. I am a huge critic of Don Sweeney but he does get some good team friendly contracts signed., he just is one of those guys that cannot get creative and find away to close some deals.......

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008

The contracts cancel out and the deal is basically 32 year old Toews for 26 year old Monahan and a 2nd.

If you want to get the same effect by retaining on Toews, you can drop Lucic out.
There’s an ocean of difference between Lucic and Toews.

Reactions: wahsnairb

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

Nah.

Toews could prob get a 6.5-7M deal for 3-4 years right now easily if he were UFA. Lucic would struggle to get more than 1M for more than one year.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Nah.

Toews could prob get a 6.5-7M deal for 3-4 years right now easily if he were UFA. Lucic would struggle to get more than 1M for more than one year.
Lucic has a comparable in Ryan Reeves. He just signed for 1.75M. Lucic has a cap hit of 5.25M. So he's overpaid by 3.5M with the retention by Edmonton. You just valued Toews at 6.5-7M per season which I would agree with on a 3 year deal. Take the high number of 7M. How much is Toews overpaid by?

Reactions: blankall

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Lucic has a comparable in Ryan Reeves. He just signed for 1.75M. Lucic has a cap hit of 5.25M. So he's overpaid by 3.5M with the retention by Edmonton. You just valued Toews at 6.5-7M per season which I would agree with on a 3 year deal. Take the high number of 7M. How much is Toews overpaid by?

Forgot EDM retained, but you still gotta factor in years beyond this one. Toews could easily get a multi year deal and still be a pretty useful player. Lucic wouldn't, so the total dead cap would be higher for looch.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
i think toews is actually the perfect guy to push that flames roster forward.

Toews at 80% 8.4 per for Valimaki 1st and Lucic

Gudreau-Toews-Lindholm
Mangiapane-Monahan-Tkachuk
Bennett-Backlund-Dube
Nordstrom-Ryan-Rinaldo

Gio-Tanev
Hanifin-Anderson
??-Kylington

Markstrom

Last edited:

Ledge And Dairy

i think toews is actually the perfect guy to push that flames roster forward.

Toews at 80% 8.4 per for Valimaki 1st and Lucic

Gudreau-Toews-Lindholm
Mangiapane-Monahan-Tkachuk
Bennett-Backlund-Dube
Nordstrom-Ryan-Rinaldo

Gio-Tanev
Hanifin-Anderson
??-Kylington

Markstrom
Valimaki is not available. Hes dominating Liiga right now. You can choose any prospect besides him and Zary. Also Toews eould play with Tkachuk not Gaudreau, same way Toews rarely plays with Kane

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

Keep it simple.

I would do this all day.

Reactions: Luckylarry

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
Valimaki is not available. Hes dominating Liiga right now. You can choose any prospect besides him and Zary. Also Toews eould play with Tkachuk not Gaudreau, same way Toews rarely plays with Kane
Toews is best with kane but they dont play together for line balance. I am not inside calgary enough to know how you would match lines. Trading for a good prospect is the point of taking on the downgrade from to luch and retaining on toews.

Ledge And Dairy

Toews is best with kane but they dont play together for line balance. I am not inside calgary enough to know how you would match lines. Trading for a good prospect is the point of taking on the downgrade from to luch and retaining on toews.
Toews was actually best with Hossa, not Kane. Tkachuk plays a much more similar game to Hossa than Gaudreau. I would rather keep Looch and Valimaki and send you Monahan/Backlund instead. Again Valimaki is not available

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
I do think there is something there if the flames are looking to compete for the next three years and they think they are ready to go for it.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
Toews was actually best with Hossa, not Kane. Tkachuk plays a much more similar game to Hossa than Gaudreau. I would rather keep Looch and Valimaki and send you Monahan/Backlund instead. Again Valimaki is not available
i dont care how the flames would do the lines. toews has always played his best with kane. hossa is retired.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
Me too. The Flames get Towes for Monahan, and get to dump Lucic in the deal. That’s awesome for Calgary, and the Hawks get a young centre out of the deal to build around.
yea the framework makes sense but the only problem is in 3 years when it would be worth it for the hawks monahans contract is up. so it doesnt help unless an extension was signed.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
yea the framework makes sense but the only problem is in 3 years when it would be worth it for the hawks monahans contract is up. so it doesnt help unless an extension was signed.
True, but a 28 year old Monahan will likely be a more valuable asset (at his contract cost) than a 34 year old Toews, no?

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I love how Backlund is included in basically every single flames proposal. And if you ever try to question his perceived value with them, they will chew you the f*** out.

Hes not the legit 2nd line center that they keep insisting that he is though. Truth.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I love how Backlund is included in basically every single flames proposal. And if you ever try to question his perceived value with them, they will chew you the f*** out.

Hes not the legit 2nd line center that they keep insisting that he is though. Truth.
Backlund is absolutely crucial to our team. He isn't a top center, but he plays the other teams best center to a draw every night. He also scores you 45-55 points every year. Not sure how that isn't 2nd line production. Backlund is a better player than Monahan who would be perceived by everyone as a 1st or 2nd line center.

Reactions: AzHawk

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL

Keep it simple.

Counter:
Toews for Monahan, Lucic, Zary and 2 2nds.

The Hawks have to get something for taking on the remainder of Lucic's useless contract. If they're taking Lucic, that's cap space they cannot weaponize. They must be compensated for that. They also would then have $14M tied up in completely useless players for the next two seasons (Seabrook, Lucic, and Maatta's retention)

Reactions: Sinbad

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Counter:
Toews for Monahan, Lucic, Zary and 2 2nds.

The Hawks have to get something for taking on the remainder of Lucic's useless contract. If they're taking Lucic, that's cap space they cannot weaponize. They must be compensated for that. They also would then have $14M tied up in completely useless players for the next two seasons (Seabrook, Lucic, and Maatta's retention)
Considering contracts, what’s the difference in value between a 25 year old Monahan and a 31 year old Toews? Imo it’s Lucic and a second.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad