Value of: Jonathan Toews for CGY

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Haws would be looking for picks, prospects, maybe one expiring contract to help the Flames make it work cap-wise.

2021 1st, Valimaki, and Derek Ryan for Jonathan Toews (maybe with 10% retention)

Ledge And Dairy

Sure if that's all you're giving up, but it can't be. We have to give up 10.5M in players too. So we're looking at big ticket players going out. I would assume one of Backlund or Monahan, Rittich or Ryan and something else. There's 2 goals difference between Toews and Backlund. Monahan has 8 more goals than Toews. Toews is a better 200 foot player than Monahan and Backlund is a better 200 foot player than Toews. So are we really upgrading our 1C position even on a temporary basis? Then we are inserting Gawdin into Ryan's role and giving up 20 points there and downgrading our goaltending. And we're giving up futures. None of it makes sense.

This is coming from a guy who is a huge fan of Toews btw.
Toews is a massive improvement on Backlund and comparing their goals this year is a very massive reach to say they are close. Backlund is a great 2-way player but Toews is just strictly better. To say otherwise is just hilariously wrong. Toews has won the Selke and has finished top 5 in voting 7 times. He is also much better offensively than Backlund.

Reactions: Sinbad

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
I don't think I'd do Backlund for Toews straight up given the difference in cap hit. I'd probably do this if we swap Backlund for Lucic though.

Reactions: Fisticuffer

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
If Chicago wants to move Toews, it's best they retain half his cap hit, making him a $5.25M player. There would be huge demand for such a player, and Chicago won't need the cap room for 3 years while they rebuilt.

Teams would line up to make an offer, and they would presumably only need to give up about $5M in cap to make it worth it cap wise.

Calgary could give up Hanafin and futures. But I expect that other teams could and would offer more.

BiolaRunner

Jan 19, 2018
I happen to think Toews would be a good fit play wise in Calgary and that he has more gas in the tank than this board gives him credit for. The big problem with him is his 10.5 million dollar AAV. Just not a lot of ways the Flames can fit that in. Would need either some significant retention or Lucic going back.

Calgary would need to throw in ++ for the intangibles

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
Hawks say no thank you
Just remember, for the next few years, returns on expensive players regardless of ability should have tempered expectations. I mean Nate Schmidt is a #1 defenseman in his prime on a fair deal and he only returned a paltry draft pick. Toews isn't getting a king's ransom either.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Haws would be looking for picks, prospects, maybe one expiring contract to help the Flames make it work cap-wise.

2021 1st, Valimaki, and Derek Ryan for Jonathan Toews (maybe with 10% retention)

Wow, a first and our best prospect for 32 year old 10.5 million dollar Toews. So nice of you.

Reactions: CF84

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Just remember, for the next few years, returns on expensive players regardless of ability should have tempered expectations. I mean Nate Schmidt is a #1 defenseman in his prime on a fair deal and he only returned a paltry draft pick. Toews isn't getting a king's ransom either.

Agreed.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Toews is a massive improvement on Backlund and comparing their goals this year is a very massive reach to say they are close. Backlund is a great 2-way player but Toews is just strictly better. To say otherwise is just hilariously wrong. Toews has won the Selke and has finished top 5 in voting 7 times. He is also much better offensively than Backlund.
The numbers say Backlund has been better defensively for the past 5 seasons defensively and it's not particularly close. He won that Selke 8 years ago. Iginla won the Pearson, but we traded him in his early 30s and he wasn't the same player. Neither is Toews the same player he was 8 years ago. I don't think anyone is debating the offense.

Sinbad

Jun 22, 2018
Parts Unknown

Difference is Vegas needed to move cap space because of the Pietrangelo signing. If the Hawks are truly in a rebuild that is not an issue for them.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010

Swap Vali for a lower tier prospect, and add Lucic and you got a deal.

FanTheFlames

Aug 20, 2017
Waaaaaaay to big of an overpay by calgary

Just the added prospects alone but adding the first nobody wants Teows cap hit

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Monahan for retained Toews I could see from a Flames perspective. Nothing else makes sense with the cap

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
Difference is Vegas needed to move cap space because of the Pietrangelo signing. If the Hawks are truly in a rebuild that is not an issue for them.
Right, but the return is still based on supply and demand which would therefore affect Toews return as well. The actual problem is over 90% of the NHL's cap space is basically used up and the majority of the remaining cap space available belongs to rebuilding teams that have zero interest in an expensive center in the post apex of his career.

Teams that may want Toews, won't be able to afford him either even with some retention. It'll likely have to be a lateral trade where Chicago takes in an equally bad contract or accept a very poor return. Honestly, any range of trade from good or bad wouldn't surprise me at all with the flat cap.

MakeCgyGreatAgain

Feb 3, 2003
Calgary, AB
Only way I’m interested in Toews is if he’s retained and they take Lucic. He’s counterproductive for building a young competitive team. We don’t have the depth to be competitive with Toews.

Reactions: Pertti

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
Monahan for retained Toews I could see from a Flames perspective. Nothing else makes sense with the cap
I would do that in a heartbeat. Chicago picks up a younger, comparable center with term that'll save them millions and the Flames pick up an older, more expensive, but proven playoff winner who still has plenty of jam.

Ledge And Dairy

Only way I’m interested in Toews is if he’s retained and they take Lucic. He’s counterproductive for building a young competitive team. We don’t have the depth to be competitive with Toews.
Swapping a retained Toews for Backlund is a massive upgrade for Calgary and would make them legitimate contenders. Flames would have to add some futures for sure though but I would take Toews at 7.5-8 over Backlund any day of the week.

I remember watching one of the Hawks vs Flames game year and Toews singlehandedly nullified our entire powerplay. He's still a very good player

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Swapping a retained Toews for Backlund is a massive upgrade for Calgary and would make them legitimate contenders. Flames would have to add some futures for sure though but I would take Toews at 7.5-8 over Backlund any day of the week.

I remember watching one of the Hawks vs Flames game year and Toews singlehandedly nullified our entire powerplay. He's still a very good player
Yes but you're one of the guys who always seems to undervalue Backlund. I'd move Monahan waaayyyyy before Backlund.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Honestly I don't see a huge difference between Toews and Backlund. Toews is the better finisher and is stronger on the puck, but Backlund is the better skater and better defensive center. I would definitely take Toews because of his finishing ability and hands in tight, but they aren't all that far off.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Honestly I don't see a huge difference between Toews and Backlund. Toews is the better finisher and is stronger on the puck, but Backlund is the better skater and better defensive center. I would definitely take Toews because of his finishing ability and hands in tight, but they aren't all that far off.
Toews has three Cups for a reason. The guy is seriously good in crunch time. He excels in playoff style hockey. He’d be great in Calgary.

Reactions: Ledge And Dairy

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Yup, would strongly consider something around Monahan for Toews with the Hawks either retaining salary or the Flames adding in cap dumps (Lucic or Ryan).

E.g., Monahan+Ryan+2nd+Parsons for Toews @ 9M per (1.5M retained)

Futures straight up doesn't work for obvious reasons but the Flames are also not in a position to be giving away their highest picks and best prospects given the relatively shallow prospect pool.

Backlund foe Toews doesn't actually change the needle for the Flames despite Toews being better (at least in some areas). In that scenario, Toews would simply become the Flames' shutdown centre leaving Monahan as the top line centre essentially making the whole an exercise in futility. It has to be Monahan going the other way or a deal built around other pieces to make sense. Plus, Backlund as a NTC and is unlikely to waive for a rebuilding team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad