Value of: Jonathan Toews for CGY

FedorTyutin

Jan 10, 2019
Chicago wrote to their fans to express they will be rebuilding.

I expect Jonathan Toews to say to the management that he wants to leave. I feel like CGY is an appropriate trading partner. Looking for Cs + Toews is from Western Canada (Manitoba, but I don't think Jets have the room to move for Toews). + CGY is still a really good team with good vets and good young players.

Could the Flames be willing to obtain Toews in order to be really competitive for the next three seasons and possibly + ? What could be a deal that would be good for the two organizations? I was thinking vets that have important contract so that CGY has cap space to land Toews. How about :

Backlund
Rittich
Pelletier
1st in 2022

for

Toews
(possibly a small add here? Idk).

:) :) :)

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
tenor.gif

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Chicago wrote to their fans to express they will be rebuilding.

I expect Jonathan Toews to say to the management that he wants to leave. I feel like CGY is an appropriate trading partner. Looking for Cs + Toews is from Western Canada (Manitoba, but I don't think Jets have the room to move for Toews). + CGY is still a really good team with good vets and good young players.

Could the Flames be willing to obtain Toews in order to be really competitive for the next three seasons and possibly + ? What could be a deal that would be good for the two organizations? I was thinking vets that have important contract so that CGY has cap space to land Toews. How about :

Backlund
Rittich
Pelletier
1st in 2022

for

Toews
(possibly a small add here? Idk).

:) :) :)
The challenge is the cap hit. I still think Toews has enough in the tank. I wouldn't be willing to give up the cap space, our top prospect and a 1st for an aging player making 10 million a season though. I'd consider something around Monahan and Rittich, but wouldn't be putting ELC assets into a deal like that.

EDIT: 10.5M. That's a big hit for a good player who is going to be 33 next season and only scored 18. I've loved his career, but I think I'd pass altogether.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I happen to think Toews would be a good fit play wise in Calgary and that he has more gas in the tank than this board gives him credit for. The big problem with him is his 10.5 million dollar AAV. Just not a lot of ways the Flames can fit that in. Would need either some significant retention or Lucic going back.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I happen to think Toews would be a good fit play wise in Calgary and that he has more gas in the tank than this board gives him credit for. The big problem with him is his 10.5 million dollar AAV. Just not a lot of ways the Flames can fit that in. Would need either some significant retention or Lucic going back.
If Lucic was going back that changes things a lot for me. I like Lucic as 1.5M, but 5,25 is an absolute killer. So there's 3.75M above value going out. That brings Toews down to a 6.75M cap hit, which is about what I'd give him as a UFA on a 3 year deal.

Reactions: FedorTyutin

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
It would take some interesting backflips to make it work cap wise. I'm genuinely not sure how we'd make it work, but he'd be an improvement for sure.

Do you actually WANT Backlund back or is that merely to help offset cap? Cause I don't want to lose him either, I think he's an important piece to our team.

Reactions: Conbon

Ledge And Dairy

I would love to have Toews in Calgary, Solid upgrade on Backlund overall and would pair just as well with that 2nd line. As stated above though, the problem is clearly with the cap him. It's almost impossible to take on that deal without sending Lucic back (even if you are taking Backlund too). I highly doubt a trade like this would happen this year though as Chicago probably wouldn't want to throw everything onto Dach this soon. Maybe after expansion draft makes a little more sense but even then I expect Toews to retire a Hawk

Ledge And Dairy

It would take some interesting backflips to make it work cap wise. I'm genuinely not sure how we'd make it work, but he'd be an improvement for sure.

Do you actually WANT Backlund back or is that merely to help offset cap? Cause I don't want to lose him either, I think he's an important piece to our team.
Well Toews is a clear upgrade on Backlund in just about every way possible. So I think the idea for the Hawks here is to take Backlund back to pseudo shelter Dach still while also grabbing futures.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Maybe this year. Will he be when he is 36? If I was signing him to a 3 year deal right now I'd want to be in the 6-7 million dollar range.
If flames are trying to compete giving up a 1st 2 years from now and a good but not elite winger prospect is workable.

JG got 2 years left, if they're going all in JT to play their 1C would really solve a lot of their issues.

Top 6 of toews, lindholm, JG, Gaudreau, monahan, Dube/Magniapaine is very skilled with some really good 2 way players.

The flames probably enter a retool anyway in 2 years if JG leaves. Toews at 2 years 7-8M would still be a valuable leader for their younger players and could be traded with a bit further retention if need comes

Reactions: FoamRoller

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
If flames are trying to compete giving up a 1st 2 years from now and a good but not elite winger prospect is workable.

JG got 2 years left, if they're going all in JT to play their 1C would really solve a lot of their issues.

Top 6 of toews, lindholm, JG, Gaudreau, monahan, Dube/Magniapaine is very skilled with some really good 2 way players.

The flames probably enter a retool anyway in 2 years if JG leaves. Toews at 2 years 7-8M would still be a valuable leader for their younger players and could be traded with a bit further retention if need comes
Sure if that's all you're giving up, but it can't be. We have to give up 10.5M in players too. So we're looking at big ticket players going out. I would assume one of Backlund or Monahan, Rittich or Ryan and something else. There's 2 goals difference between Toews and Backlund. Monahan has 8 more goals than Toews. Toews is a better 200 foot player than Monahan and Backlund is a better 200 foot player than Toews. So are we really upgrading our 1C position even on a temporary basis? Then we are inserting Gawdin into Ryan's role and giving up 20 points there and downgrading our goaltending. And we're giving up futures. None of it makes sense.

This is coming from a guy who is a huge fan of Toews btw.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Sure if that's all you're giving up, but it can't be. We have to give up 10.5M in players too. So we're looking at big ticket players going out. I would assume one of Backlund or Monahan, Rittich or Ryan and something else. There's 2 goals difference between Toews and Backlund. Monahan has 8 more goals than Toews. Toews is a better 200 foot player than Monahan and Backlund is a better 200 foot player than Toews. So are we really upgrading our 1C position even on a temporary basis? Then we are inserting Gawdin into Ryan's role and giving up 20 points there and downgrading our goaltending. And we're giving up futures. None of it makes sense.

This is coming from a guy who is a huge fan of Toews btw.
Flames shouldnt be trading for Toews at 10.5M that's way too much for what he brings. Hes worth 7-8M I think with 3M retention the deal is fair for both sides.

Backlund is a asset that has to be sacrificed to make the deal go through. Toews has produced 141 pts in his last 152 games. Better than both Monahan and Backlund by a fair margin despite being on a terrible team. Balckund+Riitch serve as the cap equalizer in the deal

Ideally the flames could keep backlund and has an insanely good center core of JT, SM, and MB with bennett as 4C. But really the problem is the lucic deal. He is about 4M overpaid and moving him probably wont happen. If the hawks took back Lucic for say a 2nd + B prospect instead of backlund the deal is a lot better for the flames cup contention window the next two years.

Flames get [email protected]

Hawks get Lucic+2022 1st+pelletier+Riitch+2021 2nd + B prospect (Matthew Phillips)

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Flames shouldnt be trading for Toews at 10.5M that's way too much for what he brings. Hes worth 7-8M I think with 3M retention the deal is fair for both sides.

Backlund is a asset that has to be sacrificed to make the deal go through. Toews has produced 141 pts in his last 152 games. Better than both Monahan and Backlund by a fair margin despite being on a terrible team. Balckund+Riitch serve as the cap equalizer in the deal

Ideally the flames could keep backlund and has an insanely good center core of JT, SM, and MB with bennett as 4C. But really the problem is the lucic deal. He is about 4M overpaid and moving him probably wont happen. If the hawks took back Lucic for say a 2nd + B prospect instead of backlund the deal is a lot better for the flames cup contention window the next two years.

Flames get [email protected]

Hawks get Lucic+2022 1st+pelletier+Riitch+2021 2nd + B prospect (Matthew Phillips)

That's the problem. I think our roster doesn't have a contention window unless we get Vezina level goaltending and Monahan and Gaudreau start playing at an elite level again. Could it happen? I suppose, but it's not a good bet.

The deal you're proposing there makes us a better team right now without question. But does it make us good enough to become a contender? In my opinion only if everything breaks perfectly.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I could see something like the below making sense. As others have mentioned, the cap hit has to be balanced out.

Toews

for

Monahan
Lucic
2nd

Chicago gets a younger triggerman in Monahan + a 2nd. Flames upgrade at C.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I could see something like the below making sense. As others have mentioned, the cap hit has to be balanced out.

Toews

for

Monahan
Lucic
2nd

Chicago gets a younger triggerman in Monahan + a 2nd. Flames upgrade at C.
That's a deal I'd do. Doesn't gut our future and I think Toews is a wash offensively with Monahan but a much better 200 foot player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad