Prospect Info: Jonathan Dahlén, Pt. II

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Well if I said "man, if Dahlen puts it all together, he could be as good as Gretzky!", the "if" kinda doesn't matter. See what I am saying? Its an exaggeration. Again, I like the kid and I am not trying to drag this on, but its definitely much more likely he never becomes that then it is.

Except I didn’t say that he could be as good as Gretzky, now that would be an exaggeration. So no, I don’t see what you’re saying.

I just said “if” Dahlen becomes a first line player. A first line player could be someone putting up 70-80 points which is IMO not an exaggeration. Based on many scouting reports stating that he has the potential to be a top 6 forward, and based on my experience watching Canuck prospects over the years, I say he has a potential to be a first line player. Of all the Hodgsons, Shroeder, Jensens, there is something very special about this new group of prospects that I have not seen in a long time.

Last edited:

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Smallish European forward taken in the second round with dynamic offensive ability who excelled playing in a European men’s league and raised his stock exponentially. Sort of reminds you a bit of Sebastian Aho in Carolina doesn’t he?

Reactions: LordBacon and Grub

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
I agree it's wise to temper enthusiasm for Dahlen after only a few Youngstars games....but man, this is shaping up as a remake of the Stoyanov-Naslund trade for the Canucks.

More like Erat for Forsberg. I wouldn’t be surprised if GMs are afraid to trade with Benning after witnessing him him rob the Senators blind for this kid.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
More like Erat for Forsberg. I wouldn’t be surprised if GMs are afraid to trade with Benning after witnessing him him rob the Senators blind for this kid.

Just like how he clowned Florida stealing Erik Gudbranson from underneath them.

Or how he swindled Brandon Sutter away by giving up the better pick and better player somehow.

Or the absolute OWNING of Anaheim when we ziplined out of Anaheim as fast as possible with Luca Sbisa.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Dahlen has looked really good. Hopefully he carries that confidence over to the big camp. He certainly looks like he can play in the NHL one day.

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Dahlen has looked really good. Hopefully he carries that confidence over to the big camp. He certainly looks like he can play in the NHL one day.
Except I didn’t say that he could be as good as Gretzky, now that would be an exaggeration. So no, I don’t see what you’re saying.

I just said “if” Dahlen becomes a first line player. A first line player could be someone putting up 70-80 points which is IMO not an exaggeration. Based on many scouting reports stating that he has the potential to be a top 6 forward, and based on my experience watching Canuck prospects over the years, I say he has a potential to be a first line player. Of all the Hodgsons, Shroeder, Jensens, there is something very special about this new group of prospects that I have not seen in a long time.

.....I know you didn't, I made what the cool kids refer to as an analogy.

But do you really see Dahlen as a 70-80 point player? Do you know the class of players that puts him in?

Like, that still seems like an exaggeration to me, so I'll just drop the point after this and agree to disagree he can be that.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
No idea what we've got with this kid, but I'm positive we've got something. He'll be an NHL player, but I have no clue at what level or how long his career will be. And that's why we watch the games! It's nice to have a few players with giant question marks next to them to up the interest for the next couple seasons. God knows this terrible team needs something to make us tune in.

As far as none of the kids getting playing time because of all the vets, it's a silly worry. We're always slammed with piles of injuries. They'll get their chances to play their way onto this team if they do well in Utica. Management knows that. Management wants them hungry. You don't gift bubble rookies a pencilled-in spot if you want them to up their game to the NHL level.

Reactions: 19 others

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
I think this kid has a really solid chance to make this team out of camp. Look at Jesper Bratt last season with the Devils. Bratt only had 22 points in the Second Highest League in Sweden and Dahlen had 44 points and doubled Bratt's point Totals. If he has a great camp and him and Pettersson show the same level of dominance they have together this kid is here to stay

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
.....I know you didn't, I made what the cool kids refer to as an analogy.

But do you really see Dahlen as a 70-80 point player? Do you know the class of players that puts him in?

Like, that still seems like an exaggeration to me, so I'll just drop the point after this and agree to disagree he can be that.

Don't know why you're quoting me there.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
50-60 player maby in NHL.

I see a Baertschi type player in him via the highlights... Currently Baertschi is in the 40-50pt tier of scoring rate player.

If we get a healthier 20g, 40-50pt Baertschi type of player outta Dahlen, I'd be happy.
50-60pt with better teammates would be amazing... take that and run.

Reactions: ZEBROA

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Not fully convinced he's NHL ready but he definitely has dynamic quality. His NHL readiness is likely irrelevant at this point anyway because even if he destroys worlds in the preseason they aren't going to cut trash players like Gagner or Granlund in favour of him, Gaudette's likely in the same boat.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Going to give credit where it’s due. Benning did really really well. If Dahlen becomes a first line player it has to go down as one of the best trades in Canuck history.

Also Alex Burrows... from a ball hockey player, to a first line player with the Sedins, Playoff hero, and leaves us with Dahlen. What a legend.

There's a LOOOONG way to go before being one of the best trades in Canucks history.

Just off the top of my head; Linden for Todd Bertuzzi, Bryan McCabe, and a third round pick. The trades that landed the Sedins. Markus Naslund for Alek Stojanov. Bertuzzi for Luongo.

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
If the season started tomorrow and with the way Dahlen is playing I believe this will be the lineup

Sven Baertschi Bo Horvat Brock Boeser

Jonathan Dahlen Elias Pettersson Loui Eriksson

Antoine Roussel Brandon Sutter Jake Virtanen

Brandon Lepsic Jay Beagle Sam Gagner

Schaller , Granlund , Goldobin (If he clears Waivers)

I look at that lineup and now im super excited about the season

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Not fully convinced he's NHL ready but he definitely has dynamic quality. His NHL readiness is likely irrelevant at this point anyway because even if he destroys worlds in the preseason they aren't going to cut trash players like Gagner or Granlund in favour of him, Gaudette's likely in the same boat.

If he continues to shine in main camp and in games vs NHLers.. there is no way he doesn't stick.
This camp is setting up to be competitive... and 4 gms in 5 days will result in little actual practice time during that stretch, so he has to make a splash over the next 8 days, and then a larger than normal evaluation will put on game performance since there wouldn't really be practices to evaluate...

I don't think he will pull off an incredible level of play vs real players... but if he did, you make space for him.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
If the season started tomorrow and with the way Dahlen is playing I believe this will be the lineup

Sven Baertschi Bo Horvat Brock Boeser

Jonathan Dahlen Elias Pettersson Loui Eriksson

Antoine Roussel Brandon Sutter Jake Virtanen

Brandon Lepsic Jay Beagle Sam Gagner

Schaller , Granlund , Goldobin (If he clears Waivers)

I look at that lineup and now im super excited about the season

IMO they are still better off to start Dahlen in Utica and play Goldobin. If for no other reason than to build up some value to move Goldobin.

If Dahlen and Pettersson blow up the pre-season then I'm on board with you.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
I think if he does really well, the media guys who are passionate about the Canucks like Botch will absolutely grill Benning and Green alive if Dahlen and Gaudette are unjustifiably demoted in favour of the useless fodder we have accumulated.

That’s the one really positive aspect of having a knowledgeable fan base and radio media.

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
IMO they are still better off to start Dahlen in Utica and play Goldobin. If for no other reason than to build up some value to move Goldobin.

If Dahlen and Pettersson blow up the pre-season then I'm on board with you.

You have a point but look at Jesper Bratt, he had only 22 points in the Tier 2 division in Sweden and broke the team with the Devils last season and managed 35 points. Dahlen had 44 points last season and doubled and is by far the better player than Bratt IMO.

I understand where your coming from and tearing up the pre season makes sense but I still believe Dahlen is ready now and I am confident him and Pettersson will have a phenomenal pre season. Either way Dahlen won't be in Utica for long he will be up here before Christmas if he doesn't break the team out of camp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad