Prospect Info: Jonathan Dahlén, Pt. II

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
I thing Gaudette gets more games. I think Green treats Dahlen like Goldobin and keeps him in the minor until forced otherwise. Gaudetter plays with enough tenacity that it might win Green over the like of Ganger/Granlund/Schaller and even Petterson for the centre position outside of Horvat/Sutter/Beagle.

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Hopefully by the half way mark this year we Trade Gagner, I think Goldobin gets sent down or dealt at one point.

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser
Dahlen-Pettersson-Virtanen
Leipsic-Sutter-Eriksson
Rousell-Beagle-Schaller
Gaunce

Hopefully Sutter does get dealt as well so Gaudette can play regularly.

This sounds awful and I don’t mean it but I’m kind of hoping that a lot of veterans have the injury bug this year...

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Hopefully by the half way mark this year we Trade Gagner, I think Goldobin gets sent down or dealt at one point.

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser
Leipsic-Sutter-Eriksson
Rousell-Beagle-Schaller
Gaunce

This sounds awful and I don’t mean it but I’m kind of hoping that a lot of veterans have the injury bug this year...

The extra year for Gagner will make him very unattractive to bubble teams and contenders alike.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser
Leipsic-Sutter-Eriksson
Rousell-Beagle-Schaller
Gaunce

I actually like this lineup quiet a bit, gives the young kids a chance to play AND uses the vets where they can be actually really useful for their positions, now if only our youngsters can put it together.

I hope Goldobin can push Baertschi to the second line or make him tradable but of all our potential forwards his chances are looking slim

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
I thing Gaudette gets more games. I think Green treats Dahlen like Goldobin and keeps him in the minor until forced otherwise. Gaudetter plays with enough tenacity that it might win Green over the like of Ganger/Granlund/Schaller and even Petterson for the centre position outside of Horvat/Sutter/Beagle.

The thing on Dahlen i'm not sure about is his play in his own zone. It could be great but he's been in a lower league so tough to gauge.

Dahlen plays with just as much tenacity as Gaudette, IMO. Dahlen is not an outside player like Goldobin.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
The thing on Dahlen i'm not sure about is his play in his own zone. It could be great but he's been in a lower league so tough to gauge.

Dahlen plays with just as much tenacity as Gaudette, IMO. Dahlen is not an outside player like Goldobin.
I still cant believe what a steal Dahlen was. Even if he needs a year to MARNIATE in the ahl cant wait to see this guys potential

Man I love this prospect :yo:

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006

Brings up an interesting point... all our top prospects are coming from different leagues...
It makes it more difficult to gauge and compare...

Dahlen - Tier 2 Sweden
Pettersson - SHL
Juolevi - LIGA
Hughes - NCAA

Tryamkin - MHL/KHL
Demko, Gaudette - NCAA
Horvat - OHL
Virtanen - WHL

I don't know if there's anything to be said about the diversity of development... But we clearly have some.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Brings up an interesting point... all our top prospects are coming from different leagues...
It makes it more difficult to gauge and compare...

Dahlen - Tier 2 Sweden
Pettersson - SHL
Juolevi - LIGA
Hughes - NCAA

Tryamkin - MHL/KHL
Demko, Gaudette - NCAA
Horvat - OHL
Virtanen - WHL

I don't know if there's anything to be said about the diversity of development... But we clearly have some.

Could add Brisebois from the Q and Jasek from the Czech league.

Curmudgeon

Aug 18, 2018

What would be really funny is if Dahlen turns out to be better than all of the young players and assets (McCann, Forsling, draft picks) the Canucks have dealt away.
Here I've been getting pissed off every time they've traded or added picks to deals and dealt previously drafted young players and the pilfering of Dahlen might just trump them all. The irony.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Dahlen is the real deal....can't see him staying in Utica for more than half the season. Down low, the guy is a magician with a lethal release. In fact you have to start salivating at the prospect of Pettersson, Boeser and Dahlen on the same pp. All of them have one-time rockets. And Gaudette is not too shabby either.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Dahlen is the real deal....can't see him staying in Utica for more than half the season. Down low, the guy is a magician with a lethal release. In fact you have to start salivating at the prospect of Pettersson, Boeser and Dahlen on the same pp. All of them have one-time rockets. And Gaudette is not too shabby either.

Tempering expectations after the Young Stars, but supposing he has a great camp and does well in pre season games, he could pose a serious threat to the likes of Goldobin, Granlund and Leipsic. I think those three in particular are “on the bubble”

Grip it N RYP it

Apr 20, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
What would be really funny is if Dahlen turns out to be better than all of the young players and assets (McCann, Forsling, draft picks) the Canucks have dealt away.
Here I've been getting pissed off every time they've traded or added picks to deals and dealt previously drafted young players and the pilfering of Dahlen might just trump them all. The irony.

ff220a93-1fc8-4271-a21d-644e23fba99a_text.gif

Seriously though, those were some bad deals.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Going to give credit where it’s due. Benning did really really well. If Dahlen becomes a first line player it has to go down as one of the best trades in Canuck history.

Also Alex Burrows... from a ball hockey player, to a first line player with the Sedins, Playoff hero, and leaves us with Dahlen. What a legend.

Last edited:

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Going to give credit where it’s due. Benning did really really well. If Dahlen becomes a first line player it has to go down as one of the best trades in Canuck history.

Also Alex Burrows... from a ball hockey player, to a first line player with the Sedins, Playoff hero, and leaves us with Dahlen. What a legend.

Bit of an exaggeration over some young stars games no...? Like, he has looked great, love the tenacity, but lets wait and see about what you've just said here.

Reactions: Pavel96

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour

Well yes Benning getting Dahlen was a nice piece of work however i think we have to realize that the Ottawa GM was an idiot and WAY WAY WAYYY OVERPAID - like hell I would have been thrilled to get a 4th round draft pick for Burrows - A B+ or A- prospect ? Bad assset management

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

I'd hold my expectations til we see Dahlen dances with real NHL teams for a month or so.

If he turn out to be a 3rd winger, I'd say the trade is very much worth it. Anything more than that would just be icing on a fudge sundae.

And yes, this is one of those few moves from the dear leader that was praised by almost everyone.

Reactions: Catbug and geebaan

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009

Kid won’t ever play here. We have vets signed for big money long term. Not going to bench or trade a guy you just signed to multi year deal. So Beagle , Rouselle, Shaeler have a spot over him no matter how bad they play.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I agree it's wise to temper enthusiasm for Dahlen after only a few Youngstars games....but man, this is shaping up as a remake of the Stoyanov-Naslund trade for the Canucks.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Hence the word “if”.

Well if I said "man, if Dahlen puts it all together, he could be as good as Gretzky!", the "if" kinda doesn't matter. See what I am saying? Its an exaggeration. Again, I like the kid and I am not trying to drag this on, but its definitely much more likely he never becomes that then it is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad