Prospect Info: Jonathan Dahlén, Pt. II

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Guess its gonna be a long wait seing Dahlen and EP play together...

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Considering Dahlen admitted himself he was way out of his depth in the AHL last year, it is a safe bet that he starts there as opposed to the NHL.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Considering Dahlen admitted himself he was way out of his depth in the AHL last year, it is a safe bet that he starts there as opposed to the NHL.
Yeah thats the expectation

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Guess its gonna be a long wait seing Dahlen and EP play together...
Trouble is the Canucks now have a plethora of ugly contracts up front, which they likely aren't willing to bury in the minors. Beagle, Roussel, Gagner, Eriksson and Sutter will eventually all be roadblocks to younger guys cracking the lineup. And unless they all suddenly discover the fountain of youth in their early 30's, they're basically 'untradeable'.

theoriginalBCF

Jan 29, 2018
I hear what you're saying... mind you he was coming from a completely different hockey system and the time to adjust and understand a new system is so difficult. With an entire summer, and constant contact with the Canucks it wouldn't surprise me.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Dahlen plays more NHL games than Gaudette this season.

Yes or no?
No Melvin, no.

If Dahlen is ready then great but will have to push Goldy boy or Lipesic out. Gaudette aint his competetion

Reactions: DonnyNucker

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Dahlen plays more NHL games than Gaudette this season.

Yes or no?

Yes.

- 8 wing positions vs 4 centre slots.
- 3 set centres (Horvat, Sutter and Beagle)
- 3 faux centres (Schaller, Gagner and Granlund)
- 1 winger that could become a permanent C: Pettersson

- 1 set LW = Baertschi.
- RW full with Pettersson, Boeser, Eriksson, Roussel, Gagner and Virtanen
- LW beyond Baertschi in flux (Goldobin, Leipsic, Schaller, Gaunce, Granlund)

Looking at it this way, there is 1 possible position for Gaudette to overtake, if Pettersson doesn't take it first. Meanwhile, there are 3 potential LW spots for Dahlen to take. Only one of those positions is set in the top6. More opportunity. Dahlen is also the only one who has played full seasons in a mens league to this point. If I were betting, it would be Dahlen that gets a look first.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Yes.

- 1 set LW = Baertschi.

Looking at it this way, there is 1 possible position for Gaudette to overtake, if Pettersson doesn't take it first. Meanwhile, there are 3 potential LW spots for Dahlen to take. Only one of those positions is set in the top6. More opportunity. Dahlen is also the only one who has played full seasons in a mens league to this point. If I were betting, it would be Dahlen that gets a look first.

I'm high on Dahlen, but isn't it easier for a centre to move to the wing than vice versa? Sutter has spent a lot of time on the wing. Gaudette can play wing, I'm sure. I dunno about Beagle.

I think you may be too constricted with this.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Yes.

- 1 set LW = Baertschi.

I'm under the impression that Roussell is a LWer.
Gagner apparently has never played RW till tried with the Sedins... so safe to consider him a LW or C.
Eriksson is a LWer first, capable of playing RW... same with Granny.

Last edited:

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I'm high on Dahlen, but isn't it easier for a centre to move to the wing than vice versa? Sutter has spent a lot of time on the wing. Gaudette can play wing, I'm sure. I dunno about Beagle.

I think you may be too constricted with this.

Maybe.

I see Green as a traditional thinker. He plays right shot players on the right side. The only time he has broken this, to my recollection, is when he played Vanek on Boeser's line. Other than that, he's been static. As a new player coming up through his system, I don't think Gaudette will be afforded that same latitude. That eliminates him from being a potential RWer for me.

Also, I can't recall when Green played Sutter on the wing? Who was the C?

I'm under the impression that Roussell is a LWer.
Gagner apparently has never played RW till tried with the Sedins... so safe to consider him a LW or C.
Eriksson is a LWer first, capable of playing RW... same with Granny.

Eriksson is a RW first. That's the way he played in DAL with Benn, and the way he has played in VAN with Granlund and Sutter. He can play LW too.

Gagner can play all three forward positions.

Roussel is a left shot RW. That's the way he played on the Wolves, going from memory. My understanding is that he's able to play LW too.

So VAN has playes that can play both wings, but are predisposed to playing one wing over the other. If we see that carry over, which I expect, then most of the options are available at LW.

Last edited:

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Maybe.

I see Green as a traditional thinker. He plays right shot players on the right side. The only time he has broken this, to my recollection, is when he played Vanek on Boeser's line. Other than that, he's been static. As a new player coming up through his system, I don't think Gaudette will be afforded that same latitude. That eliminates him from being a potential RWer for me.

Also, I can't recall when Green played Sutter on the wing? Who was the C?
Sutter with the twins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad