2024 NHL Draft Thread - Upd: Draft Lottery is May 7th

Status
Not open for further replies.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Bit of a bummer watching the U18s where the top 3 scorers are all future draft eligibles (Hagens, McKenna, Martone)
Further reinforcing that this draft sucks.

Iginla has been underwhelming at the U18s. Wonder if he isn't healthy.

On the big forwards last year, I thought Danielson was underwhelming in the WHL. Ironically, I think But had a pretty solid year for a big guy in a pro league. Everyone hated on that pick. Wood was just okay. Honzek was injured and then not that great.

Stramel was comically bad. Calum Ritchie was pretty good although I think Sennecke is likely better than him.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Further reinforcing that this draft sucks.

Iginla has been underwhelming at the U18s. Wonder if he isn't healthy.
Yeah, I don't love the NTDP Top 9 "other" guys too much, that being Bednarik, Humphries, Plante, Stiga, Ziemer. The discussion around Eiserman and Connelly has been beaten to death at this point so no need to go in there.

Of course a bunch of the best draft eligibles aren't even there. Celebrini, Demidov, Levshunov, Lindstrom, Dickinson, Parekh, Buium, Yakemchuk, Catton, Silayev, Brandsegg-Nygard, Chernyshov, Hage, Senecke and more. So it's not an end all, be all, but would have been nice to see some other players emerge. The Swedish '06 draft crop looks really bad in particular compared to their normal standards.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I know we should be adding size to the prospect pool, but taking a swing on Justin Poirier (5’8”; 181) with a late 2nd or in the 3rd if he’s there is real tempting. The production is fantastic and he’s one of the youngest players in this class
Poirier is good enough to be in the conversation for the Tampa pick

Waiting until the 3rd round is a mistake imo

Reactions: dreadpirateroberts

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
I EXCUSE "Generational" was thrown onto Bedard,its use to describe somenhl considered superstars may be too overused.

The current Gold Standard for NHL Generational Pkayer is of course Connor McDavid who also was a #1overalk pick in hos draft year.

McDavid has completed his 9th NHL regular season..
Using regular season games to compare ,here is comparison of McDavid vs sone otger NHL vet superstars in their first 10 regular seasons :

McDavid (9 regular NHL seasons):

1.5224 ppg 645GP 982 pts +149

vs. the first 10 regular NHL seasons for these superstars:

Nikita Kucherov #58 2011 draft
1.2055 ppg 725GP 874pts +135

Leon Draisaitl #3 2014 Draft
1.182 ppg 719GP 850 pts +55

David Pasternak #25 2014 Draft
1.0786 ppg 674 GP 727 pts +141

Nathan McKinnon #1 2013 Draft
1.0705 ppg 709GP 759 pts +112

Patrick Kane #1 2007 Draft
1.016 ppg 740GP 752 pts +79

Again this is the data for 1st 10 regular seasons of these 5 superstars or top stars if you just that term ..

Some of these have okayed more than 19 seasons but by 10 seasons it is easy to compare them and roughly to the 9 seasons of consensus Generational talent McDavid.

Now AustenMathews has played only 8 regular NHL seasons to date...but just to see what he did in his 8 regular seasons:

1.1548 ppg +144
GP 562
Pts 649

IN REALITY nobody is even close to the ppg of McDavid ...so I do not think that there is any reason to use Generational on anyone else among the forwards with the NHL with 8 or more seasons under their belts.

Whether Bedard is Generational depends on both his improvement and the Hawks improvement surrounding him with better talent.

To be calked Generational he mist imorivecto that amazing 1.5 ppg+ marks McDavid established in his first 9 regukarcseasons..
But nobody is calling anyone Genereatuonal with +/- stats almost at negative 50..

Bedardxand the libe he pkaysvon MYST escape that horror show defensively or he will need 2.0 pts per game just to outscore tge negatives at 5x5.Even az bad as we criticized Kane for lackluster defense ar least he got it to a +79 for his first 10 regular seasons of work work.Not great but just above average acceptable...kinda.

Reactions: statswatcher

dreadpirateroberts

Nov 14, 2018
Seven Seas

Unlike Cat and Stankoven, the CHL website says he's already at 190 so the weight isn't an issue. I just wonder if the league will continue to use height as a reason to push him down. I'm certainly not opposed to considering him at 34. I just wonder if they could get him with the Kings pick at 54

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010

I don't see his name on any 1st round picks at the moment. If last few years are an indication, QMJHL scoring isn't valued too much. In addition to being small, I've heard he doesn't skate that well.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I know NFL trade downs dont really happen often

But Let's say Hawks fall to #3 and Sens call and offer #7 + B's 1st (Looks like it will be late 1st round) because they really like someone.

Should Hawks consider it?

Hawks would in this scenario have essentially a 1st in each part of the 1st round (Top 10, Middle, Late part of 1st)

Honestly the talent from 3-7 isn't all that different so Hawks could still net guy they may like in that spot while adding another 1st to further stock cupboards

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011

But Let's say Hawks fall to #3 and Sens call and offer #7 + B's 1st (Looks like it will be late 1st round) because they really like someone.

Hawks would in this scenario have essentially a 1st in each part of the 1st round (Top 10, Middle, Late part of 1st)

Honestly the talent from 3-7 isn't all that different so Hawks could still net guy they may like in that spot while adding another 1st to further stock cupboards
I would strongly consider it along with Montreal #5/#27 & Calgary #9/#29. The sound of hockey value chart has the Sens 7 & 26 almost right on the value of #3, Montreals picks are slightly more and the Calgary less.

If Levshunov is off the board (or our scouts simply like other RHD as much or more...aka not in love with him), I could see a move like this being really attractive to the Hawks. Most of the forwards at the top of the draft have a question (Lindstrom injury and small sample size to evaluate off) or are to similar in size and shape as what we have been drafting and there are a couple of LHD that probably push guys down to the back of the top 10 that we would have more interest in from a positional need basis.

If after Celebrini we think there are 5 or 6 prospects with very similar ceilings, then absolutley you ask Montreal and Ottawa the question. If we evaluate a tier of 2 or 3 guys at the same (higher) level then the rest, we will stay put (like most NHL drafts)

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I don't see his name on any 1st round picks at the moment. If last few years are an indication, QMJHL scoring isn't valued too much. In addition to being small, I've heard he doesn't skate that well.
His skating isn't any worse than DeBrincat when he was drafted.

He'll never be a burner, but his skating won't be a hinderance at the NHL level.

Reactions: dreadpirateroberts

Larmer83

I'm taking the high road moving forward.
May 13, 2018
Lakewood, CO

Who is your #2?

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois

As long as they think their guy is gonna be there.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018

I think that would cause us to miss out on Silayev, Lindstrom (provided he has no medical concerns), and maybe even Iginla.

So I wouldn't be too fond of that decision.

However it all but guarantees that Sam Dickinson is the pick, so I could see Kyle Davidson doing it. Then again, he's probably comfortable taking him as high as #2 so he might not bother trading down.

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
I have a feeling Lindstrom is going to be in that 6-10 range
Hopefully the Hawks win or stay top 3 to get one of Demidov/Levshunov.

4 would be worst case scenario because they miss out on the top 3 guys who I think are a class above the rest.

Reactions: CanadianHawks

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022
I EXCUSE "Generational" was thrown onto Bedard,its use to describe somenhl considered superstars may be too overused.

The current Gold Standard for NHL Generational Pkayer is of course Connor McDavid who also was a #1overalk pick in hos draft year.

McDavid has completed his 9th NHL regular season..
Using regular season games to compare ,here is comparison of McDavid vs sone otger NHL vet superstars in their first 10 regular seasons :

McDavid (9 regular NHL seasons):

1.5224 ppg 645GP 982 pts +149

vs. the first 10 regular NHL seasons for these superstars:

Nikita Kucherov #58 2011 draft
1.2055 ppg 725GP 874pts +135

Leon Draisaitl #3 2014 Draft
1.182 ppg 719GP 850 pts +55

David Pasternak #25 2014 Draft
1.0786 ppg 674 GP 727 pts +141

Nathan McKinnon #1 2013 Draft
1.0705 ppg 709GP 759 pts +112

Patrick Kane #1 2007 Draft
1.016 ppg 740GP 752 pts +79

Again this is the data for 1st 10 regular seasons of these 5 superstars or top stars if you just that term ..

Some of these have okayed more than 19 seasons but by 10 seasons it is easy to compare them and roughly to the 9 seasons of consensus Generational talent McDavid.

Now AustenMathews has played only 8 regular NHL seasons to date...but just to see what he did in his 8 regular seasons:

1.1548 ppg +144
GP 562
Pts 649

IN REALITY nobody is even close to the ppg of McDavid ...so I do not think that there is any reason to use Generational on anyone else among the forwards with the NHL with 8 or more seasons under their belts.

Whether Bedard is Generational depends on both his improvement and the Hawks improvement surrounding him with better talent.

To be calked Generational he mist imorivecto that amazing 1.5 ppg+ marks McDavid established in his first 9 regukarcseasons..
But nobody is calling anyone Genereatuonal with +/- stats almost at negative 50..

Bedardxand the libe he pkaysvon MYST escape that horror show defensively or he will need 2.0 pts per game just to outscore tge negatives at 5x5.Even az bad as we criticized Kane for lackluster defense ar least he got it to a +79 for his first 10 regular seasons of work work.Not great but just above average acceptable...kinda.
are we all just going to ignore what might be the most reasonable and coherent fiddy post in years?

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
If I’m moving from 3-7 or 3-9 I want that team’s 1st rounder next year + swapping pick 34 for their late 1st this year. Tacking on a late 1st doesn’t do it for me, feels way too easy of a trade for the opps

Reactions: EddieTheEagle

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006
If I’m moving from 3-7 or 3-9 I want that team’s 1st rounder next year + swapping pick 34 for their late 1st this year. Tacking on a late 1st doesn’t do it for me, feels way too easy of a trade for the opps
I'm with you. I'd want more future assets, even a 2026 1st if possible, as we already have two firsts in 2025.

This doesn't feel like the draft to have three first round picks in.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Sennecke with 22 points in his last 12 regular season games. 22 points in 14 playoff games and might be the current MVP of the OHL. I think it's safe to say he won't be there at 20th oa. Likely goes in the 6-14 range

(that means 44 points in his last 26 games)

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
Sennecke with 22 points in his last 12 regular season games. 22 points in 14 playoff games and might be the current MVP of the OHL. I think it's safe to say he won't be there at 20th oa. Likely goes in the 6-14 range

(that means 44 points in his last 26 games)
he is not making it to 20 but that could push a few other guys down. assuming there is now a Consensus top 14 and he is in it. that would mean 15-20 would look like Jirieck, chernyshov, greentree, nygard, hage, connelly, after that things get really murky. of the guys after that i kind of like are Boisvert, elick and Surin

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
he is not making it to 20 but that could push a few other guys down. assuming there is now a Consensus top 14 and he is in it. that would mean 15-20 would look like Jirieck, chernyshov, greentree, nygard, hage, connelly, after that things get really murky. of the guys after that i kind of like are Boisvert, elick and Surin
Oh definitely. I see Connelly falling into the 20's but I doubt he's a Hawk pick.

Greentree, Nygard, and Hage are the guys I'd want.

In a strange world, I can see Catton falling pretty far similar to Perreault last year. That'd be pretty optimistic thinking though. Guys like Hemming and Chernyshov I can see getting drafted in the top 15, but that's rich for my blood.

My mock draft looks something like;

1. Celebrini
2. Demidov
3. Lindstrom
4. Levshunov
5. Buium
6. Parekh
7. Dickinson
8. Helenius
9. Silayev
10. Yakemchuk
11. Iginla
12. Sennecke
13. Catton
14. Eiserman
15. Hage
16. MBN
17. Jiricek
18. Greentree
19. Surin
20. Hemming
21. Chernyshov
22. Luchanko
23. Basha

There's always a few wildcards that get drafted in the top 20 that no-one sees coming. I think the Hawks range of outcomes are likely one of the guys in the 15-23 range + a few wildcard defensemen

Reactions: Muffinalt

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
There's a very real possibility for Brandsegg-Nygård to be available for Chicago at 20.

And KD would be all over that.

Reactions: Muffinalt
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad