Prospect Info: Jonathan Dahlén, Pt. II

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Dahlen will be with the Canucks by Xmas. And unless Goldy has picked it up by then, he'll be slotted in next to Pettersson. No matter where the Canucks are in the standings or how many guys are banged up, it'll be a reason to tune in Canucks games night after night.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i liked the cross ice goal mouth pp pass he made in the last game but you can't tell much from a highlight. i would give him a cup of coffee up here as soon as he gets hot just to see if he can make the switch, but i'd think we will have to wait for garbage time to really see him.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
i liked the cross ice goal mouth pp pass he made in the last game but you can't tell much from a highlight. i would give him a cup of coffee up here as soon as he gets hot just to see if he can make the switch, but i'd think we will have to wait for garbage time to really see him.
I don’t know about that. What if there is no garbage time?

NucksRock

May 16, 2018
I want to see this kid score the winning goal in OT for our first cup, be wearing number 14, and to pull the arrow out and shoot it into the sky - to honor why he made it, and who he honored, that would be a fairy tale ending!

pettersson

Oct 8, 2018
With 4 injuries to our forwards group and 2 of them to our top 6 (wing), I can see him not coming up until next season. Which is fine, but that top 6 is brutal without Bae and Bo.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
These arbitrary PPG baselines constantly used for prospects in various leagues are bizarre to me. Do we just ignore ice time/usage and quality of line mates? Not to mention the possibility of an abnormal on-ice sh%. There’s too many factors outside of the prospect’s control to set arbitrary ppg baselines.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
He will play great with EP. EP will freak the opponen out with all the freaky stuff he does, and Dahlen just freak them out with his strange skating.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
The overreaction on Dahlen is extreme. He was a 2nd round pick in 2016, look at the players drafted around him. Some have played games in the NHL, some are struggling worse than Dahlen. He's doing better than guys like Smith, Kunin, Jones, Senyshyn, Steel, McLeod if you include PPs. And 5v5, doing better than Bellows, Kostin, Asplund, Katchouk.

They are better organizations at this time, much better AHL teams and when you take that into context.

I think expectations were too high, this is an immature kid playing against big men, I'm sure he's intimidated. The AHL's 3rd/4th lines have former goons in the CHL or converted goons from the NCAA. Dahlen is built like Pettersson, he's barely 180 pounds, Pettersson is a 172. And he's 20 years old, he's not a conditioned, lean Henrik Sedin 180 pounds.

Just look at Lind and Jasek, it is so visible at how physically immature they are. They might be listed at 180~, but that doesn't mean they are physically strong. They are barely 20/21 years old.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
The overreaction on Dahlen is extreme. He was a 2nd round pick in 2016, look at the players drafted around him. Some have played games in the NHL, some are struggling worse than Dahlen. He's doing better than guys like Smith, Kunin, Jones, Senyshyn, Steel, McLeod if you include PPs. And 5v5, doing better than Bellows, Kostin, Asplund, Katchouk.

They are better organizations at this time, much better AHL teams and when you take that into context.

I think expectations were too high, this is an immature kid playing against big men, I'm sure he's intimidated. The AHL's 3rd/4th lines have former goons in the CHL or converted goons from the NCAA. Dahlen is built like Pettersson, he's barely 180 pounds, Pettersson is a 172. And he's 20 years old, he's not a conditioned, lean Henrik Sedin 180 pounds.

Just look at Lind and Jasek, it is so visible at how physically immature they are. They might be listed at 180~, but that doesn't mean they are physically strong. They are barely 20/21 years old.

Can you cite an example of an overreaction? If expectations were to high, is it an overreaction to imply that expectations should be lowered?

To say that most forward prospects who end up as impact players in the top 6 in the NHL do well very quickly in the AHL isn't to overreact to Dahlen's progress. It also isn't to declare him a bust. It's to point out what you say: expectations were too high (mine certainly were).

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Can you cite an example of an overreaction? If expectations were to high, is it an overreaction to imply that expectations should be lowered?

To say that most forward prospects who end up as impact players in the top 6 in the NHL do well very quickly in the AHL isn't to overreact to Dahlen's progress. It also isn't to declare him a bust. It's to point out what you say: expectations were too high (mine certainly were).
I actually don't think Dahlen is under performing. I think Dahlen is having a fair season, not good, but definitely not bad. I still think he's projected to play in the NHL. A lot of posters think Dahlen is under performing especially in the Utica thread.

The expectation of Dahlen to be a top 6 impact player is wrong. He's a 2nd round pick, stats say it's highly unlikely he'll be a top 6 player.

But, development isn't linear, who knows how he'll end up. I just wanted to point out, he's immature physically. I think he's playing well right now for a barely 180 pound 20 year old kid. Next season, I am hopeful he will be producing close to PPG and a much stronger, physical player because right now he is not strong or physical.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I actually don't think Dahlen is under performing. I think Dahlen is having a fair season, not good, but definitely not bad. I still think he's projected to play in the NHL. A lot of posters think Dahlen is under performing especially in the Utica thread.

The expectation of Dahlen to be a top 6 impact player is wrong. He's a 2nd round pick, stats say it's highly unlikely he'll be a top 6 player.

But, development isn't linear, who knows how he'll end up. I just wanted to point out, he's immature physically. I think he's playing well right now for a barely 180 pound 20 year old kid. Next season, I am hopeful he will be producing close to PPG and a much stronger, physical player because right now he is not strong or physical.

That's reasonable. It seems to me that people whose positions are very similar to yours have been accused of saying he's a bust.

Reactions: Pip and TraderJim

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Coming from the second tier Swedish league to the AHL a period of adjustment should have been expected. I said in another thread that I’d only start worrying if he was struggling near the end of this season. So far his development looks pretty much on target. Let him continue to improve in Utica and compete for a full time job next year.

Reactions: Grip it N RYP it

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016

I think the reason Dahlen's considered disappointing is that he was apparently (I won't pretend to follow Swe hockey) tracking very well for 2yrs post draft. Look at the threads after the trade. People thought he was a top prospect and a massive steal. There was a ton of hype. Maybe that was all naive, i have no idea.

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad