Prospect Info: Jonathan Dahlén, Pt. II

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
If there is not a roster spot for this kid in the next 4 years because of stupid signings , I can see him pulling a tryamkin. See ya

Reactions: xtr3m

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Dahlen needs a big year in Utica, with a few call-ups to the NHL sprinkled in. Realistically he needs to play in your top six and on the pp...so fourth line guys like Beagle and Roussel really won't be taking his ice-time.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Where did this idea that scoring players can only play on the top 2 lines come from? Are we living in 1993?

It came from rationalizing the Canucks inexplicably filling their roster with mediocre vets when they finally have some promising young players who could fill out those spots instead.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Yup. Don’t blame the kid. I’ve said it 100 times before. Sweden / Russians have it too good now overseas playing. If he looks at the roster with all these crappy vets signed long term, and the way Goldobin has not really been given a shot ... why come over.

I can easily see him staying in Sweden rather than report to Utica in October. I mean, I'd really rather he didn't, but I can still see it.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
The spirit of Burrows lives through him. I expect to see Dahlen get some games with the big club.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
It came from rationalizing the Canucks inexplicably filling their roster with mediocre vets when they finally have some promising young players who could fill out those spots instead.

Adding Beagle and Roussel for fourth line roles to protect the kids is ok, until you realize that they were added to protect the Sutters, Gagners and Grandlunds.

Reactions: pomorick

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Yup. Don’t blame the kid. I’ve said it 100 times before. Sweden / Russians have it too good now overseas playing. If he looks at the roster with all these crappy vets signed long term, and the way Goldobin has not really been given a shot ... why come over.

What do you mean Goldobin has not been given a shot? The 38 games he played this year his most common linemates was the Boeser Horvat and the Sedins.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Where did this idea that scoring players can only play on the top 2 lines come from? Are we living in 1993?
I agree with the general sentiment, but why is it that everyone keeps exaggerating about that expectation only lasting until the early 90s? Stubbornness about the roles of the top six and bottom six was not deviated from until at least the 2000s, IMO. How many teams had no shutdown line, no grind-y/fight-y energy line, and one dimensional offensive guys in their bottom six BEFORE the Naslund/Bertuzzi era? The closest you generally got to that was energy/shut-down guys who could also score.

My earliest recollection of an obvious example of that wasn't until the Senators had that bizarre right-wing heavy line-up where each of their three best scorers (Alfredsson, Hossa, and Havlat) carried their own line rather than build chemistry playing on a line together, with Martin Havlat on the third line. Even the stacked heavy-weights like Detroit and Colorado stuck to the six scorers, six role players setup until well after 2000.

Last edited:
Reactions: PuckMunchkin

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

Its kinda valid with thr Canucks roster.
Anyone not playing with Horvat will be in no position to provide offence next year.

Offensive prospects playing with Sutter, Beagle etc wont do anything.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Lol - happened last year
Ya, cause he was sick and found the hockey to be too difficult. The fact he played in Utica to end the season should demonstrate that he is committed to the AHL. I thought that would be common sense that he isn’t going back to Sweden but evidently not.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Ya, cause he was sick and found the hockey to be too difficult. The fact he played in Utica to end the season should demonstrate that he is committed to the AHL. I thought that would be common sense that he isn’t going back to Sweden but evidently not.
What's to stop him from going back again? Yeah, this year he came over after the Swedish 2nd division was finished. If he can make more money in Sweden than he can riding the bus in Utica once there are of course no spots open to him after training camp I'd say it's a possibility.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
What's to stop him from going back again? Yeah, this year he came over after the Swedish 2nd division was finished. If he can make more money in Sweden than he can riding the bus in Utica once there are of course no spots open to him after training camp I'd say it's a possibility.
Well anything is possible but I’d wager it’s < 1%. He has spoken about how his dad said the AHL is a good place to learn the game. He seems like a good kid that would follow the teams advice. I don’t see how the SHL would make any sense for him. He would likely see some call up time after the TDL and earn an NHL salary for some games.

Last edited:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

The potential for an NHL callup is what will stop him from going back again. Players like Dahlen is not stupid. His best path to the NHL right now (if he doesn't crack the roster) is to play well in the AHL and continue to develop his game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->