Proposal: Jeff Petry to the Leafs

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
A top pairing RHD will cost too much, we'd have to give up some talent from our roster. I think trading futures for a mid pairing type is more realistic. Petry would be a fine addition for Toronto.
Or we just develop internally. Petry wastes a spot for development. He is a bandaid not a piece for the top 4.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Petry is not going to break the "tank".

Hab fans and Bergevin seem to be ambivalent that this team is going to tank or is tank-worthy though. Also, Petry for a full year, versus what would be a otherwise horrible blue-line would probably be the make-or-break for at least a couple of wins....and looking at any given draft year, that equates to about ~3 spots, which is a lot if your picking in the ~top 8 or so.

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
He's got 3 years left. And he's a top 4 defenseman.
That's even worse. How are the NHL ready guys who are cap friendly get NHL games in when Petry is taking up 20 min a night for 3 years. Lol. I guess we should just start trading Liljegren and co. away right...

Jul 10, 2003
KW
The Leafs have the big addition $$$ signings of Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Kapanen. I would imagine the Leafs are hoping that their LHD will be Reilly, Dermot, Borgman/Rosen. RHD Zaitsev. Liljegren, and maybe Ozhignokov. If a 5m Petry or another high priced vet is needed on defence, someone like Nylander or Kadri will have to be traded for cap reason.

I think you are correct, now that I think on it. Retention and/or moves will be required.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
That's even worse. How are the NHL ready guys who are cap friendly get NHL games in when Petry is taking up 20 min a night for 3 years. Lol. I guess we should just start trading Liljegren and co. away right...

Our right side is shallow. Having Petry doesn't prevent Liljegren from getting ice time, if anything, it will allows us to shelter him, exactly how many NHL ready guys do we have anyways? And if they're NHL ready, what role can they play? Not a top pairing role, that's for sure. When Gardiner and Hainsey leave it's basically just Rielly left as a veteran, and Zaitsev by then too. Add Dermott to that, then Liljegren then you just fill the remaining spots with rookies that team is taking a step back. A top 4 vet rh us much needed.

2019/20

Rielly - XXX
Dermott - Zaitsev
Rosen - Liljegren
Borgman

That d is not deep and XXX can't be a rookie. We don't even know if Zaitsev will be able to carry a top 4 role.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Our right side is shallow. eeded.

That d is not deep and XXX can't be a rookie. We don't even know if Zaitsev will be able to carry a top 4 role.

Just my thought it's still a "development" year on Leaf defence this year. We'll see if a couple of guys can rise to NHL competent. If not, a trade might have to be, maybe from a"seller" closer to TDL. Either way, you're right, it's still confusing who might be Leaf in 2019/20. Do some the "iffy" players rise to be NHL good, or do the Leafs have to trade.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017

Don't trade Liljegren. Why? Because of Petry?

member 298589

I would give up Brown + 2nd OR 1st + 4th for Petry with 1.5M retained.

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
If mtl retained 1-1.5 i would be interested. it wouldn't hurt the habs either by the time they are ready.

Habs need new style of players no more midgets.

Ransanen/Korkshov or whatever his spelling is/grundsdtrom besides picks are a good +

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Even if that were true, his value is still high enough that the notion of Montreal having to retain salary in a deal for him is laughable.
I don't understand what you are talking about. Salary is retained on a lot of players. It has nothin to do with the quality of the player. You just want to take your swipe at leaf fans

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Or we just develop internally. Petry wastes a spot for development. He is a bandaid not a piece for the top 4.
How is he not a piece for the top 4 and how is he a bandaid. The leafs lack a top 4 RHD. He also has 3 years remaining so he wouldn’t be a bandaid. Gardiner, Hainsey and Carrick each have a year left. I’d rather move forward with Petry then Carrick and Hainsey because he has term left. Trade off Hainsey or Carrick and move forward. I get the development part but if you bring in petry and trade off one of them 2 you would still have 2 rookies on defence and a better defence.

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
How is he not a piece for the top 4 and how is he a bandaid. The leafs lack a top 4 RHD. He also has 3 years remaining so he wouldn’t be a bandaid. Gardiner, Hainsey and Carrick each have a year left. I’d rather move forward with Petry then Carrick and Hainsey because he has term left. Trade off Hainsey or Carrick and move forward. I get the development part but if you bring in petry and trade off one of them 2 you would still have 2 rookies on defence and a better defence.
Hes 30 and not a piece you build the defence around.

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
Our right side is shallow. Having Petry doesn't prevent Liljegren from getting ice time, if anything, it will allows us to shelter him, exactly how many NHL ready guys do we have anyways? And if they're NHL ready, what role can they play? Not a top pairing role, that's for sure. When Gardiner and Hainsey leave it's basically just Rielly left as a veteran, and Zaitsev by then too. Add Dermott to that, then Liljegren then you just fill the remaining spots with rookies that team is taking a step back. A top 4 vet rh us much needed.

2019/20

Rielly - XXX
Dermott - Zaitsev
Rosen - Liljegren
Borgman

That's why you play Holl Carrick Ozhiganov Liljegren some games first to see what they can do.

Make a small add at the deadline if needed.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
That's why you play Holl Carrick Ozhiganov Liljegren some games first to see what they can do.

Make a small add at the deadline if needed.
That’s what injuries are for. When guys get hurt bring them up to see what hey can do. You can develop your young players and still have a good defence.

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
That’s what injuries are for. When guys get hurt bring them up to see what hey can do. You can develop your young players and still have a good defence.

Exactly, when Zaitsev Hainsey and Carrick are injured you play the rest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad