Proposal: Jeff Petry to the Leafs

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Exactly, when Zaitsev Hainsey and Carrick are injured you play the rest.
Then you would be relying on a really young and inexperienced defence. Bringing in a guy like Petry or a top 4 won’t hurt anyone development. It will only make Toronto’s better. If a young player is good enough to be in the NHL GM’s will make room for them.

Last edited:

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I think people are really underestimating pKapanen. He's not a dime a dozen prospect. Why exactly are you hesitant to deal Petry? I don't get it. Are you going for the cup? This seems like the ideal time for the Habs to deal vets. Or are the Habs not rebuilding? Hard to figure out what Bergevin is doing.

Not a dime but you can have him for a quarter...Every team has a few Kapanen. He is not special

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
If Montreal were going to trade Petry, they would have a lot of interested parties and they certainly wouldn't require retention, so that likely would rule out Toronto as a landing spot. Unless the Leafs were going to overpay in terms of assets in order to get retention, I don't see any chance of a transaction between these two clubs.
I'm sure the habs woudn't mind retaining if it meant a better return though, from whatever buyer that may be. Petry @ 3.5 is a pretty sweet asset.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Even if that were true, his value is still high enough that the notion of Montreal having to retain salary in a deal for him is laughable.

Honestly, not if you expect a 1st+ as a return but we can disagree on that. I genuinely do not think teams will be lining up to give their 1st+ for a 30 year old Petry at a 5.5m AAV (any team who would be in the discussion would probably already be teams that are on the cusp).

Like I mentioned earlier, you *might* see teams like Dallas and Florida.....and even that's a stretch they'd be willing to move their 1st+.

Think most Hab fans on here are overvaluing his market. Hamonic is a good comparable, who was younger and made less so retention was not an issue. In hindsight, even that deal looked poor for Calgary. We'll see what happens though. I said the same thing about the winger market and it turned out for the most part, true- if we're using Kane, Vanek, Skinner, etc. as comparable's.

Should mention though that I like Petry, think he would be a good fit on the Leafs for the most part. I also thought that of Hamonic, Vatanen too. My only quibble is the notion of his value and return expectation, nothing more.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005

What's wrong with a 30 year old Petry? He's in his prime and his contract just happens to end when he should be exiting said prime.

Sounds like the ideal veteran.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Petry’s a good piece but mtl is hardly rebuilding I don’t see us trading our best D man going into next season. (Weber out for half the season) Bergevin isint intentionally icing a non-competitive team

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I don't understand what you are talking about. Salary is retained on a lot of players. It has nothin to do with the quality of the player. You just want to take your swipe at leaf fans

How on earth is saying the Canadiens have no reason to retain salary if the were to trade Jeff Petry "a swipe at Leaf fans?"

What are you talking about?

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Honestly, not if you expect a 1st+ as a return but we can disagree on that. I genuinely do not think teams will be lining up to give their 1st+ for a 30 year old Petry at a 5.5m AAV (any team who would be in the discussion would probably already be teams that are on the cusp).

Like I mentioned earlier, you *might* see teams like Dallas and Florida.....and even that's a stretch they'd be willing to move their 1st+.

You only need one team to do it. Just one. And I have zero doubts at all if the Canadiens wanted to move Petry, there would be plenty of teams interested in acquiring him and they could get a solid return for him without ever having to even consider the notion of retaining salary. He is no way, shape or form over paid.

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
He is a guy you can patch your D with for sure. He is actually one of the few RHD's I've seen that would fit really well into the leafs lineup.

I agree with this 100% and I'm one of the fans who agrees with dubas that our D isn't that bad/make a minor change. But if petry was available fora fair return not a under or over payment for both sides i would do it just because I think he would fit better than most other teams options without selling the farm.

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
You only need one team to do it. Just one. And I have zero doubts at all if the Canadiens wanted to move Petry, there would be plenty of teams interested in acquiring him and they could get a solid return for him without ever having to even consider the notion of retaining salary. He is no way, shape or form over paid.

I agree with petry at his salary is fair and most teams would take him.

But i disagree that you should NOT retain on him to increase his value thus further because by the time you guys rebuild and are competitive(Kotk etc ELC's are up) he will be removed off of your cap hit and you would have gotten more value for him at 4.5 or 4 then at 5.5. Just IMO.

like lets say the leafs offered a extra 2nd and a higher value prospect on top of their original offer for retention that wouldn't affect your team long term then id look into it. If it was for example a 8 year retention then hell no but on his deal i would do it because you guys won't be competitive until past then anyways IMO

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
like lets say the leafs offered a extra 2nd and a higher value prospect on top of their original offer for retention that wouldn't affect your team long term then id look into it. If it was for example a 8 year retention then hell no but on his deal i would do it because you guys won't be competitive until past then anyways IMO

That's all great, and in fact, in this thread I said in order for the Canadiens to retain salary it would require an overpay to "acquire" the retention in the deal. But the offers that were being suggested - with retention - clearly didn't include that overpay which led to my original point - why would the Canadiens eat three years of salary in order to trade Petry for a package that could easily be matched or bettered by a team that wouldn't expect retention.

It doesn't make any sense, which was my point.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
How many times have Leafs fans offered Kapanen? Don't really wanna browse through the thread, a rough estimate is fine.

For Petry i'd want a 1st + Dermott.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Count me in for a 1st+prospect/1st+two 2nds type deal from the leafs side. Retention is great but not a deal breaker for me

Petry’s a good piece but mtl is hardly rebuilding I don’t see us trading our best D man going into next season. (Weber out for half the season) Bergevin isint intentionally icing a non-competitive team
I think if Jeff Petry is your best defenseman, it's likely that you're going to be really bad whether you intend to or not. If I was the Habs I'd be stocking up on picks and prospects, if you're bad for the next two years you might be able to draft your core of the next decade

KingTux

On espère pour Lafrenière
Aug 9, 2013
hu2l
Honestly I think a 1st + cap dump does the job for Petry. Either that or a 2nd + B prospect + cap dump

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016

Think most Hab fans on here are overvaluing his market. Hamonic is a good comparable, who was younger and made less so retention was not an issue. In hindsight, even that deal looked poor for Calgary. We'll see what happens though. I said the same thing about the winger market and it turned out for the most part, true- if we're using Kane, Vanek, Skinner, etc. as comparable's.

Should mention though that I like Petry, think he would be a good fit on the Leafs for the most part. I also thought that of Hamonic, Vatanen too. My only quibble is the notion of his value and return expectation, nothing more.

It’s not that the value isn’t there. I think 1st + 2nd or decent prospect is definitely close to what he’s worth. The problem relies on the fact that Habs management and most Habs fans believe that they can fight for a playoff spot and be somewhat competitive as soon as 2019-2020 when Poehling and Kotkaniemi will be with the big club.

Once there, these boards will be filled with “top 4 RHD to Montreal” because it will become a blatant needs for us and just like Leafs fans realize right now, it’s almost impossible to acquire one without creating a hole elsewhere. Other team will ask for Drouin, Kotkaniemi, Poehling etc... and we will be wondering all this time why we traded Petry for a late 1st that had just a bit under 50% chance of making it to the NHL.

Again, it’s not that that value isn’t there, it’s just that we are not interested in trading him unless we get a cheaper, younger and more efficient RHD but who’s going to do that? No one... So we just hold on Petry for now and unless/until we have a younger RHD who step up big time and take his place/role from him

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007

I think it is more related to the buyer being able to fit him in under their cap constraints for 3 years than him being overpaid. That said, if we decide to deal him, we having nothing to do for the next 3 years with the cap anyways, so retain him at 50% if that will increase the return for him. I feel the same way about Pacioretty and even Price, if you are not taking back comparable salaries, you might as well just retain on theirs' and get better assets back in return. It also opens the door to more teams being an option to deal with.

Reactions: DoobieDubas

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Fine let’s keep all of our veterans so they can show the young guys “the way”, let’s not trade any of them, attitoood and karakter are what matters right Marc?
:banghead:

This type of post is the main reason why I never (or very rarely) visit the Canadiens' Board notwithstanding my 55-year love affair with them.

:o

firstemperor

May 25, 2011

He's not really overpaid, he might be paid at market value for a UFA of his caliber. I'm not denying or debating that point. It's that if you don't expect to retain on a 30 year old Petry with a 5.5m AAV cap hit- I don't think it's going to be a case where "plenty of teams will be interested in him" if the expectation is a solid return being a 1st+ package.

It seems like we are disagreeing on that notion- which is that, you expect multiple teams to be willing to give up a 1st+ for Petry (retention aside), and my opinion is that the Leafs (really their fans, as the organization has never wavered at any point to move a 1st for a D- when when Hamonic, Vatanen, among others were on the market) might be one of the few teams, if any willing to do that.

I singled out Dallas and Florida as other teams that might, but even that is a stretch. I don't personally believe either team would give up their 1st+ unless they are absolutely positive they are competitive by the TDL and that is not a certainty either (I mean, using Dallas as an example, they are going to need to pony up a ton for Seguin, Radulov, Spezza? and Benn soon and already have Honka, Heiskanen coming up).

As I said before, I felt the same way about the winger market last->this year and it's proven to be true for the most part.

That's all great, and in fact, in this thread I said in order for the Canadiens to retain salary it would require an overpay to "acquire" the retention in the deal. But the offers that were being suggested - with retention - clearly didn't include that overpay which led to my original point - why would the Canadiens eat three years of salary in order to trade Petry for a package that could easily be matched or bettered by a team that wouldn't expect retention.

It doesn't make any sense, which was my point.

Edit: To make my point more clear, this is what I'm disagreeing with. I don't see teams lining up for Petry and "bettering" or "matching" a package of 1st+, retention or not. Just my opinion. I could see it happening, sure, but I'm not convinced either way- even if it's just one team. Which team would do that? Just doing a thought experiment, the only teams I could think of is Dallas and Florida.

And for that to happen, a lot of things have to go right for both teams (i.e. competitive at the TDL), willing to move a 1st+.......and in Florida's case, they would probably have to really dislike Pysyk/Ekblad in their top 4. In Dallas's case, they would have to be comfortable with all the contracts they are handing out + Honka and/or Heiskanen would have to underwhelming enough that they'd lose confidence in them.

It’s not that the value isn’t there. I think 1st + 2nd or decent prospect is definitely close to what he’s worth. The problem relies on the fact that Habs management and most Habs fans believe that they can fight for a playoff spot and be somewhat competitive as soon as 2019-2020 when Poehling and Kotkaniemi will be with the big club.

Once there, these boards will be filled with “top 4 RHD to Montreal” because it will become a blatant needs for us and just like Leafs fans realize right now, it’s almost impossible to acquire one without creating a hole elsewhere. Other team will ask for Drouin, Kotkaniemi, Poehling etc... and we will be wondering all this time why we traded Petry for a late 1st that had just a bit under 50% chance of making it to the NHL.

Again, it’s not that that value isn’t there, it’s just that we are not interested in trading him unless we get a cheaper, younger and more efficient RHD but who’s going to do that? No one... So we just hold on Petry for now and unless/until we have a younger RHD who step up big time and take his place/role from him

Agree with most of everything. I agree with the Bergevin (Habs management) assessment, in fact, I have stated as such multiple times- as I follow the Habs relatively closely.

As for the debate about replacing Petry- yea you probably don't but it's not like we replaced Kessel either when we were certain we wanted to rebuild. Our forward corps in the year we tanked was horrid. Really comes down to the direction the Habs want to go, and that is probably going to be more clear by the TDL either way.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Agree with most of everything. I agree with the Bergevin (Habs management) assessment, in fact, I have stated as such multiple times- as I follow the Habs relatively closely.

As for the debate about replacing Petry- yea you probably don't but it's not like we replaced Kessel either when we were certain we wanted to rebuild. Our forward corps in the year we tanked was horrid. Really comes down to the direction the Habs want to go, and that is probably going to be more clear by the TDL either way.

But the problem is it’s way easier to replace a Winger than it is to replace a RHD and/or a C. That’s why it’s so hard to trade for one

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
But the problem is it’s way easier to replace a Winger than it is to replace a RHD and/or a C. That’s why it’s so hard to trade for one

Agree with your point in general but all I have to say to that is, it really depends on how you value Petry at 30-33 and moving forward on the Habs team today versus his return in a package. That's more to do with whether or not Habs would put him on the market to begin with, and I could see an argument for or against that. So it really depends on whether you see replacing him as a problem/bigger problem than not selling him vs accumulating the picks you can get with him in a return. I guess if your tanking, that also includes trying to get a better pick as well- as that was probably a consideration for us when we moved Kessel.

That entire discussion I briefly touched on seems to be a point of contention even among Hab fans.

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
I think it is more related to the buyer being able to fit him in under their cap constraints for 3 years than him being overpaid. That said, if we decide to deal him, we having nothing to do for the next 3 years with the cap anyways, so retain him at 50% if that will increase the return for him. I feel the same way about Pacioretty and even Price, if you are not taking back comparable salaries, you might as well just retain on theirs' and get better assets back in return. It also opens the door to more teams being an option to deal with.

Correct. Besides price to an extent i agree with it.

I despise the habs so it doesn't matter to me but IMO that type of thinking is what will set your team back for years. Should tank this year get a super high pick trade your assets who are older than 28 and then draft and develop. 2019-2020 sure try out your young guns but dont expect the world in their 1st year as well regardless of petry and patches on your team or not. 2019-2020 most likely will also be a lower position to draft as to your young guys gain experience in the league and make mistakes.

Love your optimism.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Correct. Besides price to an extent i agree with it.

I despise the habs so it doesn't matter to me but IMO that type of thinking is what will set your team back for years. Should tank this year get a super high pick trade your assets who are older than 28 and then draft and develop. 2019-2020 sure try out your young guns but dont expect the world in their 1st year as well regardless of petry and patches on your team or not. 2019-2020 most likely will also be a lower position to draft as to your young guys gain experience in the league and make mistakes.

Love your optimism.

With Weber, Byron and Shaw already injured until November/December, we’re already going to be bad with or without Petry. 2019-2020 is where I think we will start to turn the ship around. Selling a bunch of assets we might need in two years for the sake of it doesn’t help us and set us back a couple more years and will effectively kill our chances at a cup with Weber/Price.

That being said, a whole bunch of Habs fans were mad last year when we won one of our last game against Ottawa and that made us finish 28th instead of 30th. We ended up winning the lottory and passed Ottawa and Arizona to select Kotkaniemi 3OA. Had we won that game we would’ve picked 5th and I bet Arizona would’ve taken Kotkaniemi 3rd too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad