Proposal: Jeff Petry to the Leafs

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Leafs have bottom/middle pairing Rd on the roster and also upcoming as well, we need a top pairing Rd.

LD is set moving forward.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Top 4 RHD I'd bite

Petry 1mil retained
2018 3rd
For
2018 1st
Depth dman
Middle six winger
2018 3rd

Leafs give up a brown/or kapanen and a 1st. Kappy or brown would shine with some ice time in mtl.

Reactions: Gains

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Leafs give up a brown/or kapanen and a 1st. Kappy or brown would shine with some ice time in mtl.

People say stuff like this a lot but we have tons of Kappys and Browns on our own. We might suck but we still have winger depth so they would really have to battle for ice time even in Montreal.

And I don't know why Habs fans keep proposing Petry for the 10000th in this offseason. We can't afford to lose him before Weber comes back.

Reactions: Cogburn and BLNY

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
People say stuff like this a lot but we have tons of Kappys and Browns on our own. We might suck but we still have winger depth so they would really have to battle for ice time even in Montreal.

And I don't know why Habs fans keep proposing Petry for the 10000th in this offseason. We can't afford to lose him before Weber comes back.

I think any deal would need to be entertained around the trade deadline.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011

Most teams have a lot of winger depth these days but the center piece of any trade of Petry would revolve around the 1st, not Kapanen/Brown. Personally feel that package is already generous if your using the framework of Hamonic, who was younger, and on a lower cap hit (1st + 2 2nd's).

Unless you prefer the two 2nd's over Kapanen/Brown, which I would be more amendable to regardless or something to the effect.

We could definitely use Petry though and it's been discussed on here in the past- but would require some retention in either case.

Reactions: Grabner

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Most teams have a lot of winger depth these days but the center piece of any trade of Petry would revolve around the 1st, not Kapanen/Brown. Personally feel that package is already generous if your using the framework of Hamonic, who was younger, and on a lower cap hit (1st + 2 2nd's).

Unless you prefer the two 2nd's over Kapanen/Brown, which I would be more amendable to regardless or something to the effect.

We could definitely use Petry though and it's been discussed on here in the past- but would require some retention in either case.

I'm not saying Petry should fetch more than Hamonic. I would prefer two 2nds over Kapanen/Brown and the offered value looks good to me but trading Petry right now sounds like a scary idea. Seriously when you look at our current D corps without Petry, it's so bad we might as well forfeit every game until Weber comes back. Obviously if somebody overpays enough, you don't pass on that but this is not it. Why can't we just wait at least a couple of months?

DictatorTots427

Apr 8, 2018
Would love to add Petry but we probably can't afford to add a 5.5 cap hit without bridging Nylander, we can't really add any big defenseman until the Marleau contract is done.

Reactions: RealityBytes

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I think any deal would need to be entertained around the trade deadline.
Agreed.

What if Leafs top 4 going forward in 2019-20 is a combo of:

Rielly Zaitsev
Dermott Liljegren

What if Zaitsev plays 80 games and puts up 40 points and plays the PP and PK? What if Liljegren shines in camp and plays the last 40 games of the season with the Leafs ala Dermott?

Leafs bottom pair and depth in 2019-20 could be a combo of:

Borgman Carrick
Rosen Holl
Marincin Ozhiganov

I think we will know more closer to the deadline of what is needed. We are guessing right now.​

Last edited:

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth

I think people are really underestimating pKapanen. He's not a dime a dozen prospect. Why exactly are you hesitant to deal Petry? I don't get it. Are you going for the cup? This seems like the ideal time for the Habs to deal vets. Or are the Habs not rebuilding? Hard to figure out what Bergevin is doing.

Reactions: Gains

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
I think people are really underestimating pKapanen. He's not a dime a dozen prospect. Why exactly are you hesitant to deal Petry? I don't get it. Are you going for the cup? This seems like the ideal time for the Habs to deal vets. Or are the Habs not rebuilding? Hard to figure out what Bergevin is doing.

Hard to develop your forwards when they never get the puck from your dmen. Not having Petry in our roster right now means we're forced to ice Jordie Benn, who has probably never connected a pass with a forward, on the first pairing. Let that sink.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Hard to develop your forwards when they never get the puck from your dmen. Not having Petry in our roster right now means we're forced to ice Jordie Benn, who has probably never connected a pass with a forward, on the first pairing. Let that sink.
Are the Habs not rebuilding? Maybe I'm mistaken but I thought they'd wanna gain as many assets as possible. Keep a few vets around, sure, but Petry seems like a player teams would overpay for.

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Are the Habs not rebuilding? Maybe I'm mistaken but I thought they'd wanna gain as many assets as possible. Keep a few vets around, sure, but Petry seems like a player teams would overpay for.

When Weber comes back, we can re-evaluate this. Like I said, can't we just wait for a couple of months? I don't really care whether we get the 1st today or at the TDL.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I like kapanen and brown but as someone already stated the habs have 6 middle six wingers and 3 top six (one plays centre) in our line up as it is. I would rather do something like petry 1 mil retained for the 1st plus 2nds. Habs might add a late pick.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018

Habs need to tank this year.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
maybe the idea in montreal is to coordinate a tank year for the 2020 draft. They must be salivating over Lafraniere

They really should, Alexis Lafreniere is the C they've been needing for years, he's also home grown and friggen awesome.Would be as significant as Matthews was for us I think.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnnyT91

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
They really should, Alexis Lafraniere is the C they've been needing for years, he's also home grown and friggen awesome.Would be as significant as Matthews was for us I think.
Lafraniere is amazing but pretty sure hes a winger atleast roght now going onto his d-1 season.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016

Because he’s a solid #3 RHD and as you Leafs fan should know, is VERY hard to find and come by.

Now is the time to sell on a couple of veteran but Petry isn’t one of them. Petry, Weber and Price should and will stay until we are competitive again, which could be in a year or two.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Leafs have bottom/middle pairing Rd on the roster and also upcoming as well, we need a top pairing Rd.

Simple fact is Petry could make Leafs defense better, especially given they are weak on RD. It's a simple case that sometimes beggars can't be choosers(assuming the price if right)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad