Proposal: Jeff Petry to the Leafs

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
We don’t NEED Petry, he will do nothing for development. We NEED the 1st round pick.

Actually you could seriously damage the development of young forwards like Sherbak, Drouin, Domi and Lehkonen but not having a blueliner that can move the puck and after the stupid trades of Subban and Sergechev and the departure of Markov, puck moving D are a scarcity in Montreal.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Just stop, this is a young man’s league now. And our rookies have nothing to learn from our roster outside of Gallagher, Webber and Price.

Weber*

And yeah, you’re right. Petry and the rest of the team outside of those 3 are bums are not worthy of being there

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
Actually you could seriously damage the development of young forwards like Sherbak, Drouin, Domi and Lehkonen but not having a blueliner that can move the puck and after the stupid trades of Subban and Sergechev and the departure of Markov, puck moving D are a scarcity in Montreal.
Ya if we don’t keep Petry our young players are doomed.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Leafs have bottom/middle pairing Rd on the roster and also upcoming as well, we need a top pairing Rd.

LD is set moving forward.

A top pairing RHD will cost too much, we'd have to give up some talent from our roster. I think trading futures for a mid pairing type is more realistic. Petry would be a fine addition for Toronto.

Reactions: Cobra Commander

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Yeah, if you only think short term. We may suck for another year (unless Price has another all-star year) and then what? We will start to be competitive with Poehling, Kotkaniemi coming in filling our need at C and having Drouin, Mete, Gallagher, Domi, Juulsen, Danault and whoever we will pick in the 2019 draft in their prime with Price, Weber, Petry leading with experience.

The “Let’s sell everything we got” mentally never worked, and it will never work either. Arizona is a prime example. They’re finally retaining their UFA (not selling them for picks) and acquiring the necessary players to finally be competitive.

If we trade Petry now we will be looking, in two years, for someone who can/could fill his shoes wondering why we traded him for picks and Carricks of this world.
Petry is 30 right now. Any rebuild will ultimately exclude him and his trade value will not get higher

Reactions: Cobra Commander

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
qkbjv.jpg

Just... whatever.
Exactly, it’s time to build a wall to keep you Bergevin lovers away.

Reactions: Erratum1

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Fine let’s keep all of our veterans so they can show the young guys “the way”, let’s not trade any of them, attitoood and karakter are what matters right Marc?

Not all. Pacioretty, Plekanec and Byron will most likely be traded at the TDL if we’re out of the playoff

Petry is 30 right now. Any rebuild will ultimately exclude him and his trade value will not get higher

Doesn’t matter what value he has. It’s what he brings on the ice that matters.

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
I like kapanen and brown but as someone already stated the habs have 6 middle six wingers and 3 top six (one plays centre) in our line up as it is. I would rather do something like petry 1 mil retained for the 1st plus 2nds. Habs might add a late pick.

Who's the 6 middle 6? and who's your top 6 centre?

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Not all. Pacioretty, Plekanec and Byron will most likely be traded at the TDL if we’re out of the playoff

Doesn’t matter what value he has. It’s what he brings on the ice that matters.
Not trying to diss montreal here (in this case) but there is almost zero chance that the Habs make the playoffs.
It would be a serious botching of strategy if you use aging assets to get close. Roster spots should be given to players who have contracts to fight for....not to aging players who are on their last contract and know they are playing for a team that can't win

Bargainbin

1 FOR 1
Jun 17, 2017
People say stuff like this a lot but we have tons of Kappys and Browns on our own. We might suck but we still have winger depth so they would really have to battle for ice time even in Montreal.

And I don't know why Habs fans keep proposing Petry for the 10000th in this offseason. We can't afford to lose him before Weber comes back.
We want to tank

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Not trying to diss montreal here (in this case) but there is almost zero chance that the Habs make the playoffs.
It would be a serious botching of strategy if you use aging assets to get close. Roster spots should be given to players who have contracts to fight for....not to aging players who are on their last contract and know they are playing for a team that can't win

No but once Poehling and Kotkaniemi gets here our biggest need will be filled.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Petry @ 1mil retained

for

A. Johnsson
C. Carrick
2nd

Not giving up a 1st but that's a solid return. I'd take that and run if I'm Bergevin

I'd like this from a Leaf's POV, but the only solid piece in that offer is Johnsson.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Petry is probably one of the few habs players I'm not disappointed with...would rather see him shipped out west than to the Leafs

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
There has been six Petry threads over the last month and pretty much all of them was about the leafs acquiring him...

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
There has been six Petry threads over the last month and pretty much all of them was about the leafs acquiring him...

It's always the same.....Almost all RHD HAVE To traded to the Leafs. 95% of Weber trades to Leafs. 90% of Tanev trades to Leafs. 60% of Faulk trades to Leafs.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
After this season, we'll have Gardiner and Hainsey coming off the books. We'll need to replace them with at least one vet and one elc.

The Leafs have the big addition $$$ signings of Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Kapanen. I would imagine the Leafs are hoping that their LHD will be Reilly, Dermot, Borgman/Rosen. RHD Zaitsev. Liljegren, and maybe Ozhignokov. If a 5m Petry or another high priced vet is needed on defence, someone like Nylander or Kadri will have to be traded for cap reason.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Petry is probably one of the few habs players I'm not disappointed with...would rather see him shipped out west than to the Leafs

He doesn't want to go west (at least from what I've heard) and has a modified NTC so a trade to a western team could be complicated.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
I'm all for trading Petry eventually, but barring an offer we couldn't refuse, I think it's more important that we insulate Juulsen for at least another season. He's our future behind Weber. If we trade Petry today than Juulsen is our #1 RD to start the season. He has 54 career games. I never like putting young developing players in positions to fail. There is going to be enough of that next season without piling on.

Petry is not going to break the "tank" so if I was MB, I'm holding Petry until at least the deadline if not the draft at minimum and I'm not against holding through to next years deadline. Protect Juulsen's minutes. I'd listen to some offers starting around this January, maybe somebody gets desperate and pays a premium, but I'm not in a rush to trade Petry. As I said, he doesn't break the tank, nor is it likely that a late 1st in 2019 vs 2020 or 2021 is the key cog that gets us a cup.

Wait out Juulsen unless something really special materializes.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Simple fact is Petry could make Leafs defense better, especially given they are weak on RD. It's a simple case that sometimes beggars can't be choosers(assuming the price if right)
No he actually wastes a developmental spot for a prospect. This hurts the team in the long run.

Reactions: Mork

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad